Golf

Golf. I know. On a forum dedicated to science fiction why the hell would I start a thread about golf? Why? Because I wanted to share with my homies something that I have recently experienced and find myself thinking about a lot.

I started playing golf about a year ago. I had never played growing up and looked down on the sport with utter disdain. Assholes played golf. Golf was that thing that played on the television all during the day on Sunday that was the most boring thing on the planet. However, based on a number of my friends starting to pick it up as well as my brother and father-in-law encouraging me I reluctantly decided to give it a try.

So on a brisk April morning last year I went to the driving range with a bag of handmedown clubs. I breathed in deep, put out the first ball, swung the driver and hit the ground short of the ball sending a shockwave of pain up my arms and tweaking my back. I swung again and this time I missed everything…the ball, the ground…I nearly lost the club. I swung again and again and nothing seemed to improve. I left frustrated and humiliated thinking to myself, “I was right all along…this is the stupidest sport on the planet.” I thot about those jackass types who make it look so easy, what the hell was I missing?

I took a couple weeks off and then went out and tried again having read some instructional articles about what I should be doing. Full of false confidence I went out and tried again. I actually was worse this time. Everytime I would swing it was a mystery as to where the ball was going to go or why it was doing what it was doing. I took a few lessons, but even those didn’t seem to help. I understood more what I was doing wrong but couldn’t figure out how to make it right.

A few weeks ago I went out and played 18 holes with a good friend. To say I sucked would be an understatement. Everytime I hit the ball it would go in a new and fascinating direction. Thankfully he was patient and I left determined to get better. I left the course that day with a new determination. I started reading and taking lessons again. I started going to the driving range 2 or 3 times a week early in the morning before work practicing and practicing and practicing.

Then, one day last week something really strange happened: I was at the driving range doing my normal thing, swinging the driver a couple of times, getting annoyed at the results and then switching to another club…getting annoyed at those results and then switching to another club only to find nothing was going well with the occasional freak accident of a ball going generally in the right direction. I decided that it was time to take a different approach…I put all my clubs away and took out the pitching wedge. The pitching wedge is basically designed to pop the ball between 50 and 100 feet…it is not a power club, it is purely functional. I breathed in deep and just started hitting that over and over and over. Slowly I began to relax. Slowly I began not thinking about what I was doing and just doing it. Slowly all of my muscles started working together and suddenly I noticed something very odd:

All the balls were landing in basically the same spot time and time again.

I stood there amazed. A wave of emotion washed over me and I will admit I almost started crying. All of the sudden all of my work, all of my pain, all of my frustration was paying off. I thot about how great this would be to go out and play my father-in-law again. With renewed confidence and thinking about playing with my father-in-law I swung the club completely shanking it. I breathed in deep, cleared my mind and swung again and once again the ball landed in the same spot as all of the others.

Now, I am no pro, but I am seeing why there are those that are so passionate about golf. No one told me how hard it is. No one told me how much work goes into it. No one told me how hard you need to concentrate while remaining totally focused and simultaneously relaxed. No one told me that golf isn’t about strength, it is about technique. No one told me golf involves every single muscle in your body including your brain working together seamlessly like an orchestra and if they are all not in perfect unison you will fail.

Maybe I am writing this as a reminder to all of us to not judge something until one has the opportunity to experience it. Perhaps I am writing this about the pleasure of being rewarded for something that you have truly worked hard on. Maybe I want to open your eyes to the fact there is no such thing as someone who picks up a golf club and is good at it naturally…it is something that can only be learned over time with a great deal of practice. In the end, the reason I write this is simple: I have found something new, unexpected and rewarding in something that up until two years ago I would have ridiculed mercilessly. Now I find myself humbled and hopeful.

Ah yes. Welcome to the dark side.

I’ve actually let my game go, but it is an enticing sport. The beauty of it was summed up pretty well by (of all people) Rush Limbaugh (who frequents the pro/am/celebrity circuit.) To wit: You can be a fan of any other sport, but you will never impress the pros with your skill in actually doing it. You can’t dunk on Shaq, you’re not going to outrun T.O., and you’re sure as hell never going to hit fair on Ramirez. But with golf, you can occasionally make that swing that will cause Tiger Frakin’ Woods to say, “Nice shot.”

Plus, all the gear and the insane rules that govern it make it perfect geek fodder.

I like the idea of playing golf. I’m just not entirely sure how to get started, I suppose it wouldn’t be too hard to find out. I have a number of friends and family members who play. Though it seems there is quite a large initial investment in gear that I may use once and never again if I didn’t enjoy it.

I doubt very much I’d ever be any good at Golf. Hand-eye coordination isn’t my strong suit.
Give me a sport that relies on my leg power and feet and I’m good.
Give me a sport that depends on any kind of throwing, bating or shooting and I’m hopelessly below average.

Naw. When starting out, clubs are clubs. You only really need seven

[ul]
[li]Driver
[/li][li]Three wood
[/li][li]Nine Iron
[/li][li]Seven Iron
[/li][li]Pitching Wedge
[/li][li]Sand Wedge
[/li][li]Putter
[/li][/ul]

Just get some used ones.

Golf is it’s own thing entirely. It’s all about hand/eye/power/speed/consistency. Give it a try, because you can’t tell in advance how well it will all come together for you.

That said, there will be setbacks. When The GF started to get more power in her swing, her accuracy quickly fell. Managing the difference b/t the two has been problematic for her.

Thanks for the encouragement. Three buddies of mine and I have been into mountain bikking the past several years. But we’re starting to get in our mid-40s and are realizing that mountain-biking is getting more and more a “sometimes sport”. Golf may be a sport worth trying out. One of my friends, who happens to live across the street from a golf course, has gotten into golf and loves it.

Tell me a little about cost. I don’t mean the gear and stuff.
I’ve heard that, in general, being a member at a golf club or paying for t-time (whether a member or not) can be pricey.

Go to the municipal courses. They’re cheap. Pay attention behind you. As beginners you’ll probably be lagging. It’s a courtesy to let them play through. Make a hole limit (e.g., if you’re more than three over par, count it as in and move on.)

That’s really it. Golf isn’t (and shouldn’t) be expensive until you get really really good.

If you are just starting out I highly either:
[ul]
[li]Taking lesson, or[/li][li]Finding a friend who can help you and go to the range with you[/li][/ul]The thing about golf is that it takes time. You can’t just go to a driving range and try to figure it out on your own, you need someone who knows what they are doing to watch what you are doing and make recommendations. For this reason I would lean towards taking a lesson versus a friend, as a friend who is good at golf may not be a great teacher.

If nothing else be patient and persistent. I was not kidding that it has taken me a year to really understand the mechanics of the swing. I like to say now that I understand what I am doing wrong. Doing what is right is still a challenge. I swear that the reason that my swing is starting to get better is because I am no longer overthinking it. Plus, I have accepted that what feels wrong is actually right. Strange, but true.

The perfect thread to find as I sit here watching first round coverage of the Masters.

Congrats Solai on your success with the game of golf. It is inspiring. More importantly, thank you for sharing that with us.

I have watched golf for years now. (Yes, I actually like to watch golf on tv. Then again, I’ll watch just about any sport on tv.) My husband is an avid golfer. At least once a year I ask to myself if this is the year I start learning to play golf.

It has not happened yet, and it probably will not until my twins are a bit older. But it is definitely on the horizon.

There’s nothing wrong with that advice (you’re not wrong, Solai…) But I would emphasize going out and actually playing a few rounds. Driving ranges aren’t golf.

Golf is great. And as long as you play in the right areas you don’t really have to be good (and boy do I suck at it), just, as Pike said above, be curtious. In grad school I used to play occationally because I could walk 9 holes for 5 bucks on the school’s course. I haven’t played since moving out to Cali because land and thus greens fees are expensive, but I plan to take it up again once we move in a couple of years. Just stay relaxed, don’t sweat it, and play with someone who’s not a stress case…

Heh, I never in a million years thought I would be playing golf. However, a lot of my friends play and seem to enjoy it and I was starting to feel left out. So after a few incredibly frustrating trips to the driving range (a common experience apparently) I started to get a little better. At least my friend stopped trying to find cover whenever I swung the club (to be fair, I did manage to knock myself silly with my own ball so his caution was not necessarily unjustified). Then in a move of utter boldness I signed up for the annual company golf tournament! I intended to borrow clubs but broke down and bought a cheap set from target and hit the driving range 1-2 times a week. Well I managed to impress my co workers with my almost not-sucking and that mad me feel better, since my only goal was not to be the worst player (thanks Anthony for sucking at golf worse than I do)

Well its that time of yer again and the tourny is Friday, I have been to the driving range ONCE in the last 6 months and my suckage should be epic, but heck, its a game right? Have fun with it.

I took a bit of a break from going to the range religiously I went and hit 18 holes with a buddy last week. Still hit some clunkers, but the break did me good. My goal for the day was to hit my driver which I have shunned. On the 18th hole I hit the drive of my life…the ball must have gone 250 yards and totally straight. There were literally gasps from the people I was with. I suddenly understood how golf can be so addicting.

Yeah, that’s the appeal. You’ll never hit a homer off of a major league pitcher, you’re not going to evade a linebacker, but every once in a while you can hit a drive that would make Tiger Woods proud.

The hard part is to do it often…

Yeah, when you get that “ping” noise off your club when you hit it perfectly, you just know its a goner. We’ll see how things go tomorrow. :wink: