General Banter Thread Mark-IV

So, I thought to myself, “Self…perhaps we need here in GWC forums is a thread to simply chat with one another, drop by and say hi even when you are passing through…a place where on topic doesn’t exist, a community center smack dab in the middle of the forum.”

So, being the clever man I am I decided to start a new thread and see what happens.

So, have you ever noticed how IQs severely drop when it rains? Seriously. In New York City chaos ensues everytime. People stop moving and stare at the sky as if to say, “Water? Falling from the sky? How can that be???” People either start moving at a crawl getting in the way of everyone else or they take off and sprint which makes so much sense now that the ground has become slippery. Slow down their genius…you may slide into traffic.

I am a believer in giant umbrellas. Small umbrellas don’t make any sense to me…they are like a practical joke. You open them up during a rain storm and maybe you will keep your head dry as the rest of you gets totally wet. I like my umbrella to be like a circus tent. I want to shield my entire body and those around me from rain. Of course, you have to be courteous…nothing says jackass quicker than a person with a giant umbrella who seems unaware he is bumping into every person around him.

Anyway, that is what was on my mind and I wanted to share. Post away! Quick thoughts, long thoughts, reactions to other people’s thoughts…a sonnet, whatever.

Come on in and play, the water is perfect.

I would say that only people over 6 feet tall should use giant umbrellas, because they can have them go over the shorter people with smaller umbrellas without causing too many bumping problems.

I hate it when I need to get up for a minute from a table where I’m working with my laptop, and I ask the person next to me to keep an eye on it, they say sure, and when I come back, they are gone. If you were going to leave, why didn’t you say so when I asked? Nobody touched my laptop during that time, but come on.

I would like to petition to rename this thread the “Official Galactica Watercooler Jibba Jabba thread”

On the subject of Umbrellas I hate that my mother raised me right, If im bypassing someone Ill tilt my umbrella to the right to ensure it doesnt jab them, making me wet, if they have an umbrella Ill lift mine up high, making me wet, and if theres many people Ill close my umbrella, making me wet.

I don’t know why I have an umbrella really.

EXPERT INSURANCE

If I can talk about anything, I’d like to whine a bit.

I’m really tired today…

I did a five minute standup set at local open mic last night, which means I stayed out until almost midnight on a work night. Today I’m suffering for it. Fun though.

— Dismal the last open mic’er standing

I was at a concert in a tiny venue last week and the lady on the step next to me asked if I could save her spot while she got a drink. I said sure and stood there on her step until the band came back on stage. I couldn’t see from the lower step though and went back to my spot but tried to “stand big” and take up half of her spot too. I kept looking for her while trying to enjoy the show. then other folks came over to “her” spot to take photos so I moved back to my spot. she never did come back. maybe she saw that others had taken her spot and she was annoyed at me. oh well. I got annoyed too.

‘Saving the spot’ or ‘Watch this’ has always been a hard one for me. To be suddenly indebted to a stranger is just strange on many levels. Yet I have had to do this on numerous occasions…usually when on a train and I absolutely have to go to the bathroom.

Have you ever actually heard someone say, “No” as a response to, “Can you watch this/save my spot?” I think that would be hysterical. Maybe something slightly sarcasticly clever like, “I don’t know if I can shoulder that awesome responsibililty” or “Let me get back to you on that.”

I’ve done that, though not in a rude way, I just said “Nope, this is my stop” and got up and left.

Critical air vapor one

If my wife and I ever plan on having kids, I’m still going to use condoms. Because I really want him or her to be a strong swimmer.

Well, him or her will certainly be an excellent escape artist! :smiley:

Man, Solai, I like the idea of a pure, unadulterated banter thread. Only I get here and I’ve got nothin’. NOTHING!!!

Well…that’s something. :smiley:

Armando, you could always talk about how writer’s block has affected your life… :slight_smile:

I’d like to take a moment and thank my six yr-old for allowing me to use the laptop for a moment and take a moment to say, Hello All. What is it with kids these days ?? I stare glassy-eyed and clueless at the NickJr. website as the little jr Alpaca navigates it like a software engineer. Now he’s got his own stuffed animal that also has it’s own website, where he and all the other stuffed animals can get together and talk about stitching, pile depth, whatever…I still remember my first VCR…I was twenty yrs old, and it was the size of a suitcase. Big dumb buttons… Stereo playback ?? Ha ha…That was several yrs later. Now my kids have more computing power in their Leapsters (small portable vid game) than the Apollo astronauts had on their onboard computer !!
I’m glad for all this stuff, I just think it’s funny.

Funny you should mention that, but I’ve been dealing with writers’ block for a couple of months now, although it started out as a purposeful attempt to take a break after finishing a massively large piece in August. Now, I simply don’t know where to go next. I’m hoping a new project will present itself soon (I just made a pitch to a producer in New York for a possible chamber opera, though I’m not sure whether or not she’ll bite or when I will know) and snap me out of it.

And here my kids’ toys’ websites are telling them to burn down the house.

Or maybe that was the leprechaun that lives in the backyard…

That reminds of an old joke about Blue Peter, Blue Peter is a kids show where often they’ll ask the parents to leave the room so the kids can make something for their parents or some other such stuff, but when the parents leave the room they start communism propoganda.

It wass funny at the time.

Brunette Cam

For some reason this just reminds me of stories Dweezil Zappa tells of growing up with Frank as a father. Apparently he and her mother wanted her to be so independent that she was left no rebellion options other than to be ultra conservative, at least socially (I don’t think the Zappa’s have a politically conservative bone in their bodies).

Injured my ankle playing beach volleyball on Monday night. It ain’t getting better. Can’t take any time off work because my only staff member is off playing hockey at the Aussie Masters Games this week so I’m all alone in my office, which, of course is up a couple of flights of stairs. Sigh…
To top it off I gotta go to my partner’s work function tonight and make smiley-face-nice-talk with a bunch of bank managers who, when they are not at work…talk about work. Yawn.

Ah well, as one locally known wit says…“Harden the frak up!”

gaf

Gafra…sounds like you lead an interesting life! How long have you been playing beach volleyball? I am a big fan…both playing and watching.

Wait. Ice or Field?