gaming laptop (for the purpose of escaping the evils of reality)

Hi guys, im about to take the plunge and buy myself a gaming laptop and since my knowledge is limited i thought to my self i need some advice on the spec…
Who better to ask than the mighty hive mind!!

what do you guys think?

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (15.6" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0

What do I think?

I think I may need to buy a new laptop after drooling on my keyboard reading that.

The graphics card, which is generally the most important thing for gaming, is in the middle of the pack of the “high end” cards here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Depending on what you’re doing with it, 250gb seems a little low. I’d shoot for at least 500 if not 1tb. If you start putting movies on that thing the available drive space will drop quickly. I have never, in over 20 years of buying PCs, thought to myself, “I wish I’d gone for the smaller hard drive”

I like the processor and I like the memory.

Had I the scratch (What’s the asking price, if I may ask?) I’d consider that laptop, though as I said I’d prefer more drive space.

Thank you for your reply 5th.

The price of this machine is just over £1000. The reason I went for the hard drive is that its supposedly excellent quality and fast, even though there is one available for only £3 more which has double the capacity! Seeing as i dont store movies on my computers I think it will be sufficient but I do agree that it does seem very small…I may rethink this.

I just hope playing games on that CPU/GPU setup will be of such performance as to justify all this money im spending! The 6990m RADEON is supposedly faster but im going for the nvidia cause they appear to have a better reputation…maybe . Also the radeon is meant to overheat particularly in anyrthing smaller than a 17" laptop (any info on this would be appreciated)

ALL suggestions welcome

thanks again 5thHorseman