GALACTICON 2013 in Houston

Hi all, I did a search of the forums for the Galacticon and I don’t see a thread. So I made one.

Oh. My. God. Who is going?! I just found out about it yesterday! I’m impressed which members of the cast they got to come.

http://www.galacticon3.com/

Well, I went and it was great! It was part of the Comicpalooza event here in Houston which wasn’t really interesting to me, but there were a lot of people there obviously for Galactica. It seemed many were in costumes from the original series, at least as many as the ones from the re-imagined series.

The crowds only got really big when it came to Mary McDonnel and Edward James Olmos. I waited in line for an hour to get into their panel and got a reasonably good seat. Mary and EJO were really into doing this. I realize they were getting paid to have their egos stroked, but it came across as genuine enjoyment of a show that clearly meant a lot to them. They got choked up a few times. A few members from the audience also choked up talking about how some aspect of the show got them through a hard time. I’m not sure, but think I fell in love with Mary at some point during the talk. She was so sweet, funny and open. There were plenty of organizational hiccups with this event, and this coupled with the smaller crowds in Houston hopefully didn’t dissuade them from trying more cons in the future. I hope everyone who loves this show gets to see them in person some day. This particular panel can be found on Youtube but the sound isn’t great.

In the next panel I saw Nicki Clyne (Callie), Rekha Sharma (Tory), Alessandra Torresani (Zoe Greystone in Caprica), Kandyse McClure (Dualla), and Luciana Carro (Kat).
That was a fun, lighter Q&A session. We learned Rekha Sharma sometimes finds dead animals and has them stuffed…never met a woman with a taxidermy fetish. Luciana Carro has an immense Barbie Doll collection which you just wouldn’t expect her to have. Each of these ladies’ characters had died and they talked about how they were told. Kandyse McClure, for example, said she found out from the hair and makeup guy on set. Nice.

I saw a lot of the rest of the cast selling autograph/pictures at their booths. Mary and EJO’s booths were swamped. Kate Vernon seemed to be spending a lot of time texting as few were interested. I won’t pay for that stuff, so I didn’t go up to their booths even to say hi. I probably should’ve but I felt like I would look “cheap” for not buying anything.
As an aside, I also saw Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Armin Shimmerman (Quark) and Rene Auberjonois.

As another aside…Dirk Benedict needs to ease up on the patchouli. Sheesh. :slight_smile:

Below, is the WORST picture ever taken at a Con. It’s the best I could do. I’m just happy I have something to remember the event by.

I’ll say it. I’m jealous! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a lot of fun was had. As for Kate Vernon not being busy - she was one of stars of that show in the end if you ask me. Lots of peopel lost out there!

Hey nothing wrong with your picture. Mary and EOJ are recognizable in it! :smiley: Thanks for posting about the con…wish I could have been there!

This is from Tahmo Penikett’s twitter. I don’t know who took it. It has the whole cast that came to Houston eating ribs at a Pappa’s.

I can’t figure out how to successful embed this. Does Twitter not allow linking?

https://twitter.com/TahmohPenikett/status/338471670119538688/photo/1