Galactic(a) Watercooler Community Inspired Podcasts

It’s been a while since our last GWC Podcast. But the content we came to love and share on GWC still exists in the many, many, many, many podcasts Chuck, Sean and Audra inspired along the way. I’d like to maintain this thread as a list of those podcasts hosted and produced by members of our community. This is a list where GWCers can go for the same wonderful content we received in GWC. This content will never replace GWC. Some of the podcasts listed might not even discuss SciFi. But they are the podcasts with content that we as a community love to geek out on. So if you were a member of the GWC community anywhere from September 2006 to March 2013 please feel free to reply to this post with the name of your podcast, what ground your podcast covers, what community members host on the podcast, what your website is, how frequently you produce content, if you are actively producing podcasts, and what other distribution sources people can find your podcast through (i.e. Stitcher, iTunes, iheartradio, etc…). I will update the list below on this post as GWCers reply to this thread.

Arthouse Legends Podcast…Movies…MovieDude, Jonolobster, gwensdad2003gonnageek.com/category/podcasts/legends/…Monthly…Active…iTunes

Comic Book Legends Podcast…Comics…Nightwing, The Operatorgonnageek.com/category/podcasts/comicbooklegends/…Monthly…Active…iTunes

Gallifrey Public Radio…Doctor Who…Scopehound, Keirgonnageek.com/category/podcasts/tv/gallifrey/…Weekly…Active…iTunes

GonnaGeek…Geek Roundtable…Nightwing, MysteryBrothergonnageek.com/category/podcasts/gonnageek/…Weekly…Active…iTunes

Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Podcast…Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D… Shooter, AwsmEngrGrl, TARDISMinigonnageek.com/category/podcasts/tv/shield/ … Seasonal … Active … iTunes

Legendary Horror…Stories…Nightwing, Janitorbob, Kirokaigonnageek.com/category/podcasts/legendaryhorror/…Monthly…Active…iTunes

Legends Podcast…Movies…Nightwing, Beef, The Operatorgonnageek.com/category/podcasts/legends/…Weekly…Active…iTunes

Pulp Audio Weekly…Misc Geekery…5thHorsemanweekly.pulpaudio.com/…Weekly…Active

The Gatecast…Stargate episode commentary podcast…Jarrak, phazedoutgatecast.co.uk…Weekly…Active…iTunes

The Starling Tribune…Arrow…Nightwing, Shooter, Scopehoundgonnageek.com/category/podcasts/tv/starling/…Weekly…Active…iTunes

Tyrion’s Landing…Game Of Thrones…Aset, Geekychick, Apollymytyrionslanding.com/…Seasonal…Active…iTunes

Voices Of Defiance…Defiance…Shooter, Sean, Shannon…voicesofdefiance.com/…Seasonal…Active…iTunes

W.T.W.D. Radio Free Woodbury…The Walking Dead Comic & TV Show…MysteryBrothergonnageek.com/category/podcasts/tv/wtwd/…Weekly On-Season/Bi-weekly Off Season…Active…iTunes

…As Of 14 March 2014

Hey, thanks for compiling this list!

These aren’t as tightly tied to GWC, but here are a couple more:

The Gatecast - Stargate episode commentary podcats - Jarrak - Weekly - Active
Pulp Audio Weekly - Misc Geekery - 5thHorseman - Weekly - Active

Sounds great! I’ll add them to the list. Thanks Starsaber!

Holy… Crap! There’s so many! Wowee!!!

Can someone run through with the rest of us, what kind of work is involved just to produce and roll out a podcast a week? Is it like running a tv show?

What a great question. I wish I could give you a solid answer but the real answer is “it depends.” There are podcast co-hosts and then there are podcast producers that actually push the content out, each with a varying amount of time that the individual puts into it. There are daily podcasts and then there are weekly podcasts and then there are monthly podcasts and then there are podcasts that produce content only when they get the chance. You can do a podcast through a variety of different media hosts, which is basically the server that stores your podcast for downloading or streaming. Podbean, Libsyn, Blubrry or your own server are some good examples. You can podcast through your smartphone or through a USB chat headset or through a combination mixer-computer-vocal microphone (which is what GWC did at a much much higher technical complexity level than I am knowledgeable to talk about - Chuck truly is a tech whiz with gear). You can podcast all in the same room like GWC or you can podcast through Skype or other call conferencing software like Legends Podcast. You can do interviews or not. You can create and maintain your own website, pay someone to do it or run it through a media host. And then there is the time you put into the actual content creation and production which without a doubt is the most important aspect of any podcast. I’ve heard a good average is 4 hours to every 1 hour of podcast content but when you start itis going to be much much much higher a ratio.

Even though there are some great profitable podcasts out there I will tell you the VAST majority of podcasters are just moderate to serious hobbyists. Which means they pay for everything (and by everything I mean from the gear and software they use to the hosting costs online) out of their own pocket and podcast just because they love to do it.

In the end if you really want to know more about podcasting I’d be glad to talk to you about what I know (which isn’t very much) or I can point you to a great resource like schoolofpodcasting.com. There are also great Facebook and Google+ Podcasting communities in existence. While podcasting is no longer rocket science and the technology involved is getting far more cheaper and accessible than it was 10 years ago for the same quality of sound it does take some know how to pull it off. And once again the most important thing is to have a creative and/or knowledgeable mind.

~Shooter Out

i knew of 2 of these, but not the rest, thanks for the great info Shooter!!!