FSL 3.0 Team Introductions

I don’t have time to do one of these myself at the moment, but I remember that last time around, we had a thread where people could do some stuff with their team meeting up and getting to know each other.

Team Lobster
Sherlock - Moriarty - Goliath - Xanatos

I “introduced” the two halves of my team in my posts for Challenge #1, but some people on the forum might not be familiar with who they are if they don’t know the source material.

The first half of my team is made up of Sherlock Holmes and Jim Moriarty from the recent BBC series “Sherlock.” The series is a modern-day take on the characters created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock is very much same as the classic character, with keen powers of observation and deduction. He also uses modern technology and forensic techniques to help solve crimes.

In the final episode of the first season, we finally meet Moriarty. He’s only on screen for the final 8 minutes, but we get a good sense of his character in that time. Here’s the relevant footage:

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS SPOILERS!

//youtu.be/NeEVuPiqE24

Good stuff, huh? Of course, Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty are archetypal arch-enemies, but the modern-day version puts a great spin on things. I had to have them for my team.

The second half of my team is made up of Goliath and David Xanatos from the Disney Afternoon animated series Gargoyles, which ran from 1994-1996. Goliath is the warrior-leader of the gargoyles clan the show focuses on. David Xanatos is the billionaire industrialist responsible for bringing the gargoyles to life in the present day, but also the main villain of the series. Xanatos is literally one of my favorite television bad guys, so I had to bring him along for the ride. Goliath is a great foil for Xanatos and adds some muscle to the team.

We’ve been re-watching the series in our weeklyGargoyles Frak Party, so I encourage you to join us and see these characters in action. I’m sort of the resident Gargoyles expert, so if you have any questions about the show, feel free to ask.

As for FSL 3.0, I’m having a lot of fun playing these characters off each other. My goal is to complete the assigned challenges in a way that is true to the way that the characters would act and react in the given situation. As arch-enemies, they will not be playing “nice” with each other, and our two villains will conflicting as much with each other as they will with the heroes on the team.

It’s going to be a lot of fun!

I edited in some information on my choices after the fact, but in case anyone missed it or was interested in knowing more, I thought this thread was a perfect place to post.

Heat Vision and Jack

This is the pilot to a TV show idea that involved Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Owen Wilson back in 1999. It is purposefully bad and very wonderfully so. You can tell they set out to make an odd, silly, campy and cheesy show and I think they succeeded. I am sad that this never had more than the pilot episode because I would have loved to see more. You can find the entire episode broken up into three parts on Youtube.

R.O.T.O.R.

This is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I’m a long time fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I think this movie would have ranked with the worst of what they watched. I’m surprised it never made the show but not many people have seen or heard of this movie.

I stumbled across it on the cable guide one day and thought it sounded kind of like Robocop or The Terminator and that was right up my alley. Instead, I got R.O.T.O.R. The movie is recognizable as bad right off the bat but it has a strange allure. Like gawking at a vehicular accident you just feel compelled to see how bad it can really be. I felt myself wanting to stop watching the movie and for some reason just not being able to until finally I reached a moment midway through the film where the robot’s weakness first shows up. It was so utterly ridiculous that I was able to regain my sanity for a moment and changed the channel.

I knew that I had witnessed something special. I scanned the guide to see when it might be on again. It showed up a few days later. I suspected that if I watched the film in its entirety it might have some horrible effect on me so I instead recorded it to tape and watched the second half. It did not get better. The first half didn’t even have “Sensor Recall” or Doctor Steel. It only got worse.

Even watching it broken up I knew I had violated some cosmic principal or touched some taboo curse and like Samara from The Ring, it was going to come after me. So, I shared it with my cousin. Yes, I love my family but I had to save myself somehow and I knew that he could do the same and pass it on to others. He topped me by burning it to DVD.

This was years ago. These days, the malignancy of R.O.T.O.R. has spread and become more easily available. Some poor soul, perhaps haunted by the image of a fat motorcycle cop in the reflection of his mirror or terrorized by flashes of Sensor Recall, posted the movie to Youtube. A few months ago when browsing my Netflix instant selections I saw that R.O.T.O.R. had made its way there. For any part I may have played in this, I apologize. Watch it at your own risk knowing that you have been warned.

Here are a couple of links to trailers and clips on Youtube that I originally posted with my first contest entry:

R.O.T.O.R. Trailer
Another R.O.T.O.R. clip showing the inane dialogue.

Heat Vision and Jack Trailer
Heat Vision and Jack Title Sequence

Team Gallant, Witty, Concise (loosely based on true life twitter heroes/nemeses)

Hero1: @SolaiGWC – once completely incapacitated an entire crowd using only the very extreme tips of his fingers; learned in the lore of one fictional teenage wizard, and has in the past ruled the internet with an iron-fist. @SolaiGWC’s primary power is his wit. He’s been known to subdue rogue twitter/forum members (you know who you are) with a few well placed syllables, cutting through the craaaap and getting to crux of the situation. His nemesis, Burt Bacharach and him have been battling to claim the title “The Crooner” for decades.

Nemesis 1: Burt Bacharach - a closet geek who secretly wishes that he had @SolaiGWC’s power in the sci-fi world, although he will never admit this to anyone. Best known for his work in the Austin Power’s franchise, he holds the power of SONG+1 and is able to halt blue hairs in their tracks using his voice. New York may not be large enough for the both of them.

Hero2: @GWCAudra – quite literally holds a PhD in AWESOME! Has the power to convert any obscure sci-fi reference into song. @GWCAudra’s primary strength is playing off her teammates and spotting double entendres from 50+ yards.

Nemesis 2: @GWCevilAudra – created from a tragic podcast/twitter experiment gone horribly horribly wrong. Incidentally Sean’s Cream was created in the same way. @GWCevilAudra is made up of all that is evil in @GWCAudra and as such is really quite un-substantial. She secretly has a major crush on Burt Bacharach.

I am honored and humbled by being selected. Truly an honor. I might suggest that my attributes are all 10s, but other than that you are spot on. I look forward to reading my exploits!

Best team EVER EVER.