Free comic book day

This Saturday, (May 2nd 2009) is ‘Free Comic Book Day’ all over the world. Here is the deal, you go into any participating comic book store on Saturday and you get to choose a free comic from over 30 comics. That’s it. No catch. As a 38 year old self professed geek and father of a 4yr old hopefully future geek the first Saturday in May is a great way to introduce a little geekling to the wonderful world of comics.

All right, what was everyone’s haul? I went in late in the day, so while the Warhammer one I wanted had been snapped up, I got to violate the “No more than one per person” rule they’d had going earlier in the day.

Avengers: Fun story, definitely my favorite of my haul. Writing was simplistic, but this isn’t such a bad thing when you consider that a lot of the point of FCBD is to get people introduced to comics and reading them year-round.

Star Wars Clone Wars/other Dark Horse: Not bad. I’m always a fan of Kit Fisto. I wasn’t too familiar with the other stories in the book, though. (ETA: Except for Indiana Jones, which I forgot about. My bad.)

Dresden Files: Nice little story, pretty good art, and not dependent on you having read the books first.

I got the Clone Wars one. My son got to chose three comics! Very cool. I LOVE the folks at my store- Atomic Comics. They are the best people.

I’m jealous! My comic book store didn’t have these!
I also got there 30 minutes before the store closed, so I guess they ran out. But I got the Alien one for my bf, atomic robo? for my lil cousin.

Took my buddy from a smaller town to our comic book store here in Tucson (R-Galaxy). Lots of fun! Free give aways, auctions, and of course free comics.

reviving this thread (yay i don’t have to post a new one) to remind my fellow GWCers that free comic book day is Saturday, May 7th.

My nearest comic book store is 60 miles away but I’ll be making an evenign of it, meeting a friend who’s at Uni in Galway and dragging him out to a pub before plying him with drink.

So, any of the other GWCers planning on taking advantage of your (un my case no so) local comic book store?
Phaze
on the “phaze lazy, time to get up, shower eat and go in to the W place, uurgh, not in the mood for work today” ID

Yes! I plan to go to the (thankfully near) awesome comic book store here in Atlanta. I haven’t been there on comic book day before so I havent figured what time of day might be the easiest, especially since they have a very small parking lot. but Yes, I’m excited for it : )

Have fun with the dragging and drinking for your comic book day!

My local shop makes a huge day of it. All the old overstock goes for like 25c to a $1 an issue. The owner gives away prizes and stuff. Since he just moved locations, I think he’s going to double up as a grand opening weekend and do something special.

Oh man, did anyone get the Locke and Key free book? I love it. It’s amazing how good Joe Hill is as a writer. With only 28 pages he puts together a great story that is crammed full of character. Every page tells something about the world or the characters. Only got around to reading it now and I’m sad I missed out on more days of having read it.