Frappucino Fix

So Audra picked up a taste for frozen coffee drinks recently, which got me excited about them, too. But no 1,400 calore candy drinks for us, of course. Instead, I screwed around in the kitchen a bit and came up with a variant that fits our needs. Thought I’d share.

Chuck’s Fake-Ass Frappucino Thing™

Ingredients:
[ul]
[li]Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, Vanilla, 6 oz cup[/li][li]Milk, skim, 1/2 cup[/li][li]Espresso, 2 shots (about 4 oz)[/li][li]Apex FIT 100% Whey Protein Drink powder, chocolate, 30 grams[/li][li]Ice, from auto-ice maker (standard), 1.5 cups[/li][/ul]Directions:
[ul]
[li]Add milk to espresso and add to blender[/li][li]Add ice to blender[/li][li]Add yogurt to blender[/li][li]Add protein powder to blender[/li][li]Blend thoroughly[/li][li]Enjoy without guilt[/li][/ul]Nutrition:
[ul]
[li]243 calories[/li][li]1g fat[/li][li]25g carbs[/li][li]33g protein[/li][/ul]Notes:
[ul]
[li]I make the coffee with my Aeropress, so I use three scoops coffee and fill the handle to the #3 mark. This results in just under 4 oz espresso, which would make about 12 oz of “american coffee” if you added hot water to it.[/li][li]I use a “Ninja” blender thing my mother bought for me a while back. It has sharp, knife-like blades that make kick-ass smoothies, but a blender would work fine.[/li][li]If you like other flavors you can create them by dinking around with the yogurt and protein powder flavors. This gives something akin to the Mocha Frappucino. If you don’t mind another 30 cal or so, you can add some strawberries to give it a twist. Or whatever. It’s pretty much a coffee smoothie, so do what you like.[/li][li]If you want to play with the amount of coffee flavor, just remember to keep the overall liquid to ice ratio the same. So if you want less coffee flavor, replace some of the coffee with water. If you want more coffee flavor, replace some of the milk with coffee. You get the idea.[/li][li]The easiest way to add the protein powder is to put the blender container on your food scale, zero it, then add powder until the scale reads 30g.[/li][li]This makes two big glasses worth – a lot. I like all of it, but you could easily split it with someone to make two ~120 cal drinks.[/li][/ul]

Sounds good! What is this Aeropress of which you speak?

In the spirit of Chuck’s Faux-Frap, this weekend I made a variation on a theme, more of a coffee puddin’:

1 Scoop Fat-free greek style yogurt
1/2 scoop Vanilla Whey powder
1 Package Starbuck’s VIA micro-ground coffee
1/2 package Splenda
Splash of water to help mix

I was craving a pudding cup fix, but felt like coffee, and thought I would combine the two and make it my mid morning meal. I had to add the splenda to counter the slight sourness of the yogurt (don’t get me wrong, I love plain yogurt, but it wan’t the flavor I was craving:) )

Enjoy!

Quick update to this: the Godiva flavored coffees put interesting flavor in this drink. Try the mint mocha they have out right now.

Also, if you need additional fat and calories in your diet – I know, weird, but it happens to me – you can add small amounts of natural peanut butter to this. I’ve been making a killer ~500-600 cal post-workout drink with this by doubling the protein powder, adding 30g of peanut butter, and using Godiva’s chocolate truffle coffee. I call it a peanut butter cup shake. :stuck_out_tongue: