Frak Parties Forum - FYI

Yeah. Most of the time I’m listening to the dialogue and my mind fills in the images from the film.

The most difficult frak parties were the Season 4 BSG episodes since I hadn’t seen the episodes yet. I posted more in the later time frame frak parties.

Hmmm. That’s an interesting observation, though.

There’s no way we could do ‘Metropolis’

Well if anyone would be OK with subtitles, let me know.

Ah, learning to type by using messaging software… it helps one’s multitasking.

Another thing we might do is have everyone watch the film on their own and then have an ongoing frak party? because I think there’s some really good stuff out there that shouldn’t be neglected because it’s not in English. :slight_smile:

Those skills are fading fast, I fear. :frowning:

I was actually considering subtitled movies… but if others aren’t interested I can just watch those on my own (EDIT: And report back, of course). :slight_smile: no worries.

I’m all for watching them. What did you have in mind?

Watching & listening while reading and writing are certainly possible, but reading two different things simultaneous while also writing? :eek:

Or Nosferatu.

Off the top of my head

• El laberinto del fauno
  • Metropolis (easy since it’s silent)
  • Solaris (1972)
  • La cité des enfants perdus
  • Avalon
  • Lo que vendra

I know next to nothing about Japanese sf/f and I would love to learn more… so yeah.

Don’t know the last two, but I’m up for it. IYKWIM. :smiley:

I know next to nothing about Japanese sf/f and I would love to learn more… so yeah.

I know very little outside of the Godzilla franchise and some anime (neither of which I’ve ever seen in Japanese), so that would be an interesting route to go.

Yeah, on that note, I think that’s why I found the Henry V Frak party so fun.
Since I know that movie SO WELL and have seen it SO MANY TIMES, it was easy to comment/discuss/joke about the movie in real time.

I’ve been meaning Metropolis one of these days… maybe other people might be interested in this as well?

(I mean the 1927 German one, not the 2001 Japanese anime.)

Edit: I see that others have already suggested and rejected the idea. Nevermind.

We could have a two person frak party (that just sounds weird). Or everyone else can cave to peer pressure and watch it, too. As I said, silent film, so easier frak party-ing, right? Right??

I would think silent flim would be the opposite of easier frak partying. IMHO, optimal frak party circumstance is a film one is familiar with and does not need to look at constantly to know what’s going on, enabling the partyer to participate in on(other)screen conversation. I’ve been called out for not being sufficiently entertaining when I’m concentrating too much on the movie, but maybe it’s just that I’m an inadequate multitasker

I don’t know if it’s easier or harder to do frak party for a silent film. I have had this DVD for a while now, but I haven’t seen it yet. What I’ve read/heard about this movie(Metropolis) is that it’s historically good scifi, that it’s a bit dense, and that it can be very hard to follow.

I guess if we want to get enough peole excited for a frak party, a feature-length anime is the way to go. So, just a few anime ideas to get the discussion started. (I’m excluding things that are clearly fantasy not scifi.)

1. Akira (Highly recommended)
  2. Ghost in the Shell (Highly recommended)
  3. Appleseed, 2004, not 1988 (Meh) or Appleseed: Ex Machina (Recommended)

A short series or feature-films that require viewing a short series to understand (series short enough that we could do an ongoing frak party in a month or less):

1. Ghost in the Shell 2 (Meh), following the Stand Alone Complex series(Recommended)
  2. Cowboy Bebop the Movie (Highly Recommended), following Cowboy Bebop the series (Highly Recommended)
  3. FLCL (Recommended) Artistically breathtaking, I still don’t get it after seeing it like 10 times.
  4. Lain (Recommended) Creepy.
  5. Last Exile (Highly Recommended) Artistically, prob my favourite ever.
  6. Patlabor the Movie (Meh)

Not mentioned because, frankly, I am confused by them.

1. Macross, Macross Plus, Macross 2 the Electric Boogloo, Macross the movies, Robotech series…

Has anyone thought about doing a live frak party chat on skype or talkshoe? It would be fun to be able to comment in real time. If it was on talkshoe it would be recorded and people who miss it could listen to it like a commentary. Just a thought. :smiley:

That’s a great thot! That’s all I have to say about that. I’m running out the door, that’s why. But I like the idea.

Weren’t Emily et al were doing that?

As of October 22, 2008, the Re-Watch forum has been merged with this one.