For Spelling Geeks - How to Spell Stuff in BSG

I know. It’s silly. But I have to look these things up all the time because I can never remember how to spell them since we rarely see them in official print. Here’s a mini-list for reference:

Characters:

William Adama “Husker”
Laura Roslin “Airlock”
Kara Thrace “Starbuck”
Lee Adama “Apollo”
Gaius Baltar
Number Six (aka Gina, Shelly Godfrey, Caprica Six)
Sharon Valerii/Agathon (aka Boomer, Athena)
Saul Tigh
Karl Agathon “Helo”
Galen Tyrol “Chief”
Doc Cottle
Felix Gaeta
Anastasia Dualla “Dee”
Cally Tyrol
Billy Keikeya
Elosha
Aaron Doral
Leoben Conoy
Tom Zarek
Ellen Tigh
James Lyman “Jammer”
Louanne Katraine “Kat”
Brendan Costanza “Hotdog”
Margaret Edmondson “Racetrack”
Samuel Anders
D’Anna Biers (Number Three)
Diana Seelix
Brother Cavil
Tory Foster
Helena Cain
Kendra Shaw

Hard-to-spell words:

chamalla
tylium
Kobol

Thanks to the Battlestar Wiki for reference!

Please feel free to add to this list!

haha, much appreciated list, personally I constantly find myself having trouble with Baltar, I always want to spell it Balthar for some reason. Also interesting seeing some of the characters full names, never knew hotdog was a Costanza, I wonder if he would drape himself in velvet were it socially acceptable =)

Also, “frak” (it’s a four-lettered word).

Aerelon
Aquaria
Canceron
Caprica
Gemenon
Leonis
Libris
Picon
Sagittaron
Scorpia
Tauron
Virgon

Oh yeah, lest we forget the thirteenth, Terra…I mean…Earth.

Makes me wonder if frakkin is correct grammar. Is it frakkin or frakin? Just doesn’t look right with one ‘K’. Where are all the frakkin grammar nazis when you frakin need 'em?

Damn, double posting again. I’m gonna get my forum card revoked again.

Frak has two incarnations. In OG it was/is frakk and in new G it is frak.

awesome… also… no-one should get engaged to him

Close. The original spelling was “Frack.” New BSG made sure it was a four-lettered word, hence “frak.”

I’m not sure of the verb form, but I always follow the english counterpart, hence “fraking.”

The doubling of a plosive consonant in final position would make sense though:

let - letting

frak - frakking

Thanx Pike. Thanx GR.

If it were frack, it would be fracking. Since it’s frak, it’s frakkin. Couldn’t help myself I had to know. It’s a matter of principle.

Found this too, to ease me conscience.

Thanx all. Carry on.

In normal usage, absolutely. (Pedant -> pedatting.) But since the intent was to follow the original english word, I’m still going with the “letter substitution” style.

E.g., a similar substitution for geeks is “fsck” (literally, the unixy command for “File System ChecK”) Verb form is “fscking.” There is no english standard for verbing a vowel-less noun (since there haven’t been any until recently) so it follows the word it’s mimicing.

(BTW, I just gotta say once again: I love this forum.)

Well to take an example near an dear to many of our hearts, the progressive form of the verb to “trek” is “trekking” so I’d put my cubits on “frakking”.

It’s all about the vowels, y’all. fscking, one vowel. Same with another colorful metaphor. But in frak, you double the consonant in between the vowels a and the i. Same with getting and wedding.

“A, E, I, O, U, sometimes Y. And once in a great while, S.”

Pike RULES. Lol.

And I learned a lot today about progressive sci-fi verbs.