Fishing

fidhing is not really a geek hobbie, but it is a hobbie. so me and DBT decided to make a thread for us and anybody else who likes to fish. sooo… have fun!

Ilsa Cozumel January 2008

Even though I like in FL, I have no sea legs. At all. I once went fishing w/ a good friend, caught lots of fish (most notably a 5’2’’ Wahoo) but I puked easyily 5 times.
I <3 docks

Holy shit! What is that, a marlin? Good job dude!

Ocean fishing looks like a lot of fun. I’d love to try sometime. I need to find people to teach me fishing.

It is a sailfish, a small cousin to the marlin but just as full of fight. It was a lucky catch for that time of year but I’ll take it as its the only billfish I’ve caught. I am landlocked in Arizona so I usually catch the occasion trout or bass.

damn! that is a nice fish. nice job! is Ilsa Cozumel somewhere in the carrib?

Halibut. Damn things almost broke my shoulder. They are some creepy fish (both eyes are on the same side. 80-120 pounds flopping around….). Fishing is one of my favorite hobbies. I fish for about everything: trout, catfish, pan-fish, deep sea, pike (watch the y-bone)(real fishing geeks will get it)), and I am very serious about ice fishing.

Edit: yes, I was both extremely sea sick and extremely drunk in this picture, if you couldn’t tell. Remember: never try to drink and fish off a boat when you’ve lived in a landlocked state most of your life. Lesson learned.

Yep just off the Yucatan peninsula.

Lucky–that’s a nice catch of fish. Delicious too!

next fishing season ill try to get some pics in. but um dont expect anything massive. where i go theres not a lot of HUGE fish. good size for their type but like, well you know what i mean.

Yay, I love halibut! Except I didn’t know they were that big! :eek:

Nice job, dude. Now go below and lie down… you look like you’re about to pass out.

Yeah, they get pretty big. I caught these in Alaska on a friend of the family’s boat. One of the ones my cousin caught was so big, the guy grabbed a 4.10 shotgun and put a round in its head—just to give you an idea how dangerous the bigger ones can be when they are flopping around. It was a fun trip though. After living up there for about a month, I came home with about 130 pounds of Halibut, and thirty pounds of salmon. Halibut’s okay, but it is a very bland fish, but it takes on whatever you add to season it. Personally, I like making fajitas with them—one for the GWC cook book maybe.

holy crap. ya i knew this guy who went on a fishing trip with a bunch of cops and they saw a shark. i dont remember what kind. i think he said a not very big great white. and they all had handguns so they shot it to death. he said it took a while.

From recent catfishing trip. Nothing like what you would catch in the South, but around here, this 8 pound catfish is a respectable size. My Cylon heritage really shows in this pic.

My dad and I like to fish off the rock jeddies here in San Diego, in Mission Bay and even Downtown behind Seaport Village. We’ve gotten Hallibut and Spot-Fin Croakers (delicious!), but so far this year all we’ve scored are small Spotted Bay Bass. Great times though! I once caught a big lobster on a line fishing off the Ocean Beach Pier (longest pier on the West Coast) basically by accident. Reeling it up at first I just thought I had another big load of seaweed, but then I saw the antennae sticking out–threw it back though, they were out of season. You don’t need a license to fish from a pier, you need one everywhere else though.

Holy Mackerel!!!..I mean…catfish. That thing is huge! Nicely done.

Bow fishing at night in December and shot a twenty five inch walleye. Not exactly legal, for some reason it is legal to catch them with a rod and reel but not a bow and arrow…

I suppose because it’s impossible to catch-and-release something after you put a big hole in it with a fiberglass harpoon. :wink:

It was yummy!

That is badass.

Adding CardinalFang to my list of people I need when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs

Seconded!!! :cool:

Dude, what a way to intro yourself. I see OG potential already. You may be the first member to not be able to play in the FSFL because you were already chosen as a team member. :smiley:

Well done and welcome! :slight_smile:

I thought about adding “oh, and I’m prepared for the zombie apocalypse.” to my introduction post but didn’t want to sound braggadocious. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read all the requisite manuals, stockpiled foodstuffs, mapped out escape routes, even smelted my own ore for the necessary weapons. I can’t seem to get the rest of the family on board with the rigorous cardiovascular training though!

I am the king of the double-tap. :wink:

Here’s a fishing-related picture, a good friend caught a smallmouth bass and snapped a picture of it’s gullet right before he threw it back. What you’re looking at is all the baitfish and yum-yums it had gorged itself on right before he caught it. It was eating so well it couldn’t even SWALLOW I guess.

A little gross? Yup.

The amazing thing is that the fish did not disgorge all that after being hooked through the mouth and dragged through the water. Nature is COOL.

I really treasure the opportunity to use the word “disgorge”.

IYKWIM :smiley:

baltar