Final Fantasy Series

As Sean has mentioned on the main GWC podcast I am indeed playing through the Final Fantasy series for the first time. I had purchased a copy of Final Fantasy I & II earlier this year and planned to play it on our Playstation up at the lake or Playstation 2 in my basement but I never seemed to have time. When Sean mentioned you could play it on the iPhone a few months ago I instantly put Final Fantasy I on my iPhone and began playing it. Admittedly the iPhone screen is a touch too small for the game but the portability has been incredibly awesome. I could play it in waiting rooms at the doctor’s office or in my car waiting for the kids to finish their activities or ANYWHERE. I could instantly stop and start it and not have to worry about saving it and shutting it down. After 22 hours and 22 minutes of play time I completed the campaign quest. It was awesome to have a $8.99 game app on my phone that 10 years ago or so would have HAD to have been played on my TV at home through a Playstation.

Final Fantasy was amazing in how the story drew me in. As Audra mentioned on the podcast recently regarding Portal, the story is what got me through the endless grinding the gameplay throws at you. I actually pretended I was one of the four hero characters and felt myself as involved as I would be in one of Shooter Jr’s hockey games. That part was pleasantly unexpected. Plus I loved building the characters up over time and increasing their different “levels” and use of more advanced weaponry, armor and magic.

Little Shootette currently has a copy of the game on her iPad and is having fun playing through it when she has the time too. I much prefer the size of the iPad for the game myself, but the iPad is hers so I’ll make do with my iPhone.

After completing Final Fantasy I, I immediately purchased and downloaded Final Fantasy II to my iPhone. I’m currently a couple of hours through it and still enjoying it. Final Fantasy III is also available on the iPhone/iPad but I also have Final Fantasy III on a Nintendo DSi XL that I will probably play it on instead.

~Shooter Out

Totally agree with you dude. FF rocks on the iPhone. I play it whenever I get the chance. I can’t wait to beat it. I have been a fan of the Final Fantasy series since number 8. That came out when I worked in a video store so I would play it with my co worker all the time. Since then I have bought FF X, FF X-2, FF VII, FF Crisis Core, FF VIII, FF XII, FF I and FF II. One and two are on the iPhone. The others are PS1 games, PS2, and PSP. I so want to get them all on their original systems. That would be awesome to have. I have yet to beat any of them though. Seems I don’t have as much time as I want to play.

Final fantasy and me never clicked. Tried to play 6 literally a dozen times, 7 a Half a dozen times, 8 once but couldn’t beat the spider boss and had it spoiled for me.

Beat X though. I dunno just can’t get into them. Adore Chrono Trigger and Cross though