Final Fantasy 13 Questions

Based on the positive remarks in the podcast I asked Santa Claus for FF13 last year and as a result of my behavior over the previous twelve months I was rewarded appropriately. So after I sold all the coal I took my money to Gamestop and bought FF13. :groucho:

The game really is visually amazing. It beats the pants off anything I’ve ever seen or thought was possible with a game console. I’m really shocked that anyone even BOTHERS to put that much effort and detail into a game. I know that sounds wierd, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think for someone to put that much effort and detail into a game they’re not just trying to make money, they REALLY love what they’re doing. It’s like buying an Ikea nightstand compared to a hand-made nightstand built by a craftsman with forty years of experience.

This game a BIG departure for me, FF7 was the last RPG I played and that would have been 13 years ago I guess. Since then it’s been 1st person shooters all the way. This game SERIOUSLY eats up my time and I only play it on weekends because whole afternoons/evenings can disappear and have disappeared. Keep in mind I’m trying to get out of the game what the developer wants me to, but I really don’t have the time to play the hell out of it like I’d prefer.

I just started disc three (fighting my way through the Pulse Vestige) and here are my questions:

1. Am I going to miss anything really spectacular if I don’t grind for gil and exp and upgrade the weapons to their fullest abilities?
  2. Do I need to develop everyone’s abilities to the fullest? Now that everyone can have the same six or seven fighting abilities, am I going to need to develop every ability of every character to get through the game or can I succeed by sticking with the current roles?
  3. Is it just me or do the Eidolons kinda suck? Maybe I’m just not using them properly but they don’t really do any more damage than my standard characters. I guess they take some damage for my characters. Advice?

If any of that came off as bitching I apologize. It really is an amazing game, I’m just having a hard time adjusting because it is SO complicated. I didn’t even feel like I understood how to play until I got to the second disc and contemplated trying to find someone local to help me get acclimated.

LOL, I need a game tutor, that’s LAAAAAAME!!! :smiley:

Thanks! I hope someone can help or at least sympathize with my plight.

PS - Going to Harrisburg Friday night to watch Underworld if anyone in the area wants to come along. The guys I’m going with are geeks too, not GWCers unfortunately. Nobody’s perfect, right? :wink: