Filking

Is there anything more geeky than Filking? Harry Potter rock was already covered why not go the rest of the way and cover Star Trek, SciFi and Fantasy Geek created music as well?

The convention I went to brought this to mind, Filking and singing of series music erupted quite often there and it was a beautiful thing. :slight_smile:

umm ā€¦ posting on a forum about Filking? (jk) :slight_smile:

I havenā€™t directly experience the wonder of this mythical confluence of music, fans and scifi/fantasy but it does sounds intriguing.

My musical skills are 3 chords strumming my 6 string so I have great respect for the pain and joy of making the strings and frets behave themselves.

Not a bad idea, but I donā€™t know how much filk the CrĆ¼e have listened to, which is going to be the deciding factor.

Should we start a filk thread? Or are the existing music threads enough?

I never should have used ā€œFilkā€ as a synonym forā€¦ uhā€¦ ā€œFrakā€ in my podcast. this thread has a very dirty vibe for me and itā€™s probably only me.

:groucho: :eek:

Interesting. I have heard about filk songs but Iā€™m more familiar with parodies. Is there a definition of what makes filk different than what is played on, say, Dr. Demento?

Itā€™s probably a pretty fine line. Parody usually has to either be funny or make fun of something. Filk does not have to do either, it can be serious. Most of the time it isnā€™t though.

Filking is hard to define it is both a noun and a verbā€¦ A common definition would be, Filk is a musical culture, genre, and community tied to science fiction/fantasy fandom and a type of fan labor. The genre has been active since the early 1950s, and played primarily since the mid-1970s. The term (originally a typographical error) predates 1955.

There is ā€˜formalā€™ Filking which is done at organized events and usually consists of ā€˜circlesā€™ where each bard will do a presentation. There are even Filking songbooks which can be purchased at cons.

Informal is where fans gather and compose songs on the spot and improvise kind of like ā€˜whose line is it anywaysā€™ or other comedy events. Or they have jams sessions and compose music with others input.

Another way to define it could be by style or content Filk has been defined as folk music, usually with a science fiction or fantasy theme. But this definition is not exact. Filkers have been known to write filk songs about a variety of topics, including but not limited to tangentially-related topics such as computers and cats. In addition, while the majority of filk songs are in the folk style, other styles such as blues, calypso, and even rock periodically appear.

Or by the social group which is doing it usually filk is a form of music created from within science fiction and fantasy fandom, often performed late at night at science fiction conventions, though there are now dedicated filk conventions in Canada, England, Germany, and the USA. And whichever definition one chooses, the boundaries of filking are muddy. For example, filking overlaps with the singing and music performed by participants in the Society for Creative Anachronism or at LARPs.

And it involves all form of media, TV, Movies, Literature, gaming, anime, comics and so forthā€¦

OK that works for me. Now to google filk and see whatā€™s out there.

I like the idea of an ark but has been stated before, if the gang has much experience with it. It would be interesting but I feel it will be one of those things that will need a lot of pre production.

A LOT of filk is pretty bad (Sturgeonā€™s Law and all that) so donā€™t be discouraged if you find stuff you donā€™t like. Julia Ecklar is a good traditional filk singer.

Thereā€™s a bunch of stuff that is actually filk, but not often filed under that name. Iā€™m fond of No Kill I, but thatā€™s because I like punk and Trek. Wizard Rock (aka Wrockā€“Harry Potter filk) has a pretty good signal-to-noise ratio (Draco and the Malfoys are probably my faves there.) Time Lord Rock (aka Trock) has Chameleon Circuit and a handful of others (although covers of the title theme are legion.)

Nice. Iā€™ll check that out!

Donā€™t forget Heather Alexander, Michael Longcor, and Leslie Fish, those guys go way back.

Well, I did a Star Wars song set to the music and style of a Rolling Stones song, does that count? Or does it need to be completely from-the-ground-up original music too?

Sympathy for the Jedi

No, reworked songs is a huge part of filk.

Also loads of other stuff, e.g. the USA National Anthem.