Feedback on "A Game of Thrones: The Board Game"

Bought this game some weeks back and got to play it couple times with some friends this past weekend.
Really enjoyed it. Simple enough in gameplay that it flowed easily, but complex enough in the strategy and negotiating required to play successfully.
I was House Greyjoy in 4 player game (and I lost), and then I was House Lannister in a 5 player game (and I lost again…I’m a good loser :wink: )

And coincidentally, I know they GWC Rochester NY meet up folks happened to play is too last weekend.

I’m a war-games geek, (as people are sick hearing me drone on about), but I’d really love to hear what people thought of the game, and geek out about it.

Anybody?

There’s a lot of balls in the air in this game. You gotta be aware and wary of a lot to be successful. It also doesn’t hurt if you’re the only sober person in the room!

I was house Tyrell and allied up early with Stark(Katherine) and Martell(Badger). That gave me pretty much free reign to the south and a distracted Greyjoy to the North. I was skirmishing with Lannister ( Keir and Abby) early on originally as a combat tutorial and then a war.

I’d have to say the defining moment of the game and the moment that defines it best would be about turn 7 where I goaded Baratheon( Jeannie) to attack Lannister. Straight up lied to Greyjoys(Raemani / Lobstah) to support an attack that led me to take a castle then play Loras to get a second march order that turn to take ANOTHER castle and leave Lannister with 2 boats, 1 plot of land, and no castles. Then I made a non aggression pact with them instead of wasting the turn to take them out and allow them to continue playing.

Was epic. Also spent zero power tokens on the last bidding of influence and ended up like 3/3/4 cause Badger had the the throne and Katherine was right behind me.

All in all I loved it. Didn’t play with the random happenstance battle cards just to make it easier

Oh Thot had a question that we either missed in the rules or aren’t there. If you have a power token in a region to maintain control and you move a unit back into that area, what happens to the power token?

You’re right that the rules were not clear on that.

The way we played it is that the power token stays there once it’s place and never goes away until and enemy unit captures the area.

That seemed a simple and logical way to handle things. If you don’t do it that way, people could get back power tokens by maybe moving armies back and forth…I dunno, it just seemed dicey.

P.S. I’ve been meaning to write a detailed post about my experiences playing GoT, but just too busy lately. I promise I will get to it.

We played it that if you moved a unit back to that space you picked up the token. Idea being that the token represents like a skeleton crew of guards/rear echelon/supply train troops and they get re-enveloped into the main army unit.

IMO there’s really not enough turns in the game to have a revolving door of power tokens you know?

Your way sounds perfectly valid too. It’s definitely a hole in the rules. I went with the “simpler is better” choice, but I don’t know which is “right”. I’m gonna internet the question and find out

This game sounds bloody amazing. How many people do you think you’d need to make it fun, more usually being better, but thinking of a minimum? I don’t have many friends near to me who’d want to play :frowning:

I can be played with 3 to 6 people.

I’ve played it once with 4 people and once with 5. Fine either way.

http://boardgamegeek.com says it’s best with 6 people.