Favorite book series.

lol, i havnt seen this thread in a while. I even forgot i started it.:smiley:

Jamie & Claire books by Diana Gabaldon

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Wrinkle in Time
Enders Game & Bean series

The Dark is Rising

1. The Hornblower novels by C.S. Forestor (also 18th century British Naval adventure --these are the books that inspired Gene Rodenberry to concieve Star Trek.)
  2. Tolkein books: Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion.
  3. Dune series by Frank Herbert

Stephanie Plumb: Janet Evanovich
Kushiel’s: Jacqueline Carey

The Avalon Series by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

I’m just going to echo all these. Especially some of the less-mentioned here, like Janet Evanovich (not in-genre, but HIlarious), Jacqueline Carey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Susan Cooper.

And here are others which no one has yet mentioned.

FANTASY:
Madeline L’Engle (everything she ever wrote)
Katharine Kerr’s Deverry books
Katherine Kurtz’s Deryni books
Lloyd Alexander’s Prydain Chronicles
Phillip Pullman’s Golden Compass trilogy
Tamara Pierce’s Alana books
Ellen Kushner’s Swordspoint, The Fall of the Kings, and Priviledge of the Sword
Lynn Fflewelling’s Tamir Trilogy
Stephen King’s Gunslinger books
Isabel Allende’s fantasy series for YA

SCI-FI:
Margaret Atwood’s books
Neil Gaiman (both sci-fi and fantasy- not really a series though many are interconnected)
Haruki Murakami (not stricly SFF but fantastical and excellent)
Philip K. Dick’s books in general
Robert Heinlein’s books

I’m gonaa add the Alex Rider Series in. If u look them up yes they are for the young people. But i will confess i am a young people. My age however i will not give out. (more thn 10, less thn 16) muahahahahahahahaha. bye.

Looking at my bookshelf, I realized I do not read a lot of series. After reading through the thread, I have lots to add to my reading list. Thanks all!!!

Here are the series that I have read:
Harry Potter - so sad it is over
Lord of the Rings
Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon is one of my all time favorite books. I am rereading it this summer
Dark Tower by Stephen King - I have only read the first four books

I am currently on book three of Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials. Once finished, I will start book two of Stephenie Myers’ Twilight series.

None of them are part of a series, however I love everything Margaret Atwood writes.

I love Star Wars but have had a hard time getting into the stories surrounding the core material. I need to give it another try though.

Harry Potter
Hitchiker’s Guide
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter
Outlander

Oh so many of them…

The Star Wars books
The Pern Series
The Avalon Series by MZB
The Dune Series (including the prequels and sequels)
The Kushiel’s Series by Jacqueline Carey
The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Betsy Queen of the Vampires series by MaryJanice Davidson
The Anita Blake series & the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K Hamilton
The Women of Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong
The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

Pretty much anything that Anne McCaffrey has done, except the ship series and anything that has vampires in it.

:smiley: I’m such a geek

I am LOVING this one so far!

i heard she’s making another one. Supposed to be like an extended epilouge. I’ll check it out on google and if i find anything I’ll put it on this thread.

Got it. I guess it’s a maybe, check it out.

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2007/jul/10rowling.htm

the Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood - sex, warfare and religion… in the world of moles. sounds ridiculous, but the books are so well written, it sucks you into the world. Thoroughly recomended to, um, everyone!

Song of Ice and Fire (Hopefully it’ll be complete before George R R Martin passes on)
Shannara (Brain candy)
The Riftwar Saga (Raymond Feist’s earlier works were spot on)
The Elenium (David Eddings) (also easily digestible brain candy)
Tyrants and Kings (John Marco) (Good books to tide you over while you wait for George R R Martin to get with it)
Farseer series (Robin Hobb)
Any and all Conan novels by John Maddox Roberts, Steve Perry, Roland Green, Leonard Carpenter and of course Robert Howard.

That one is actually starting to piss me off. Jon Snow is my favorite character in this series—which is one of my favorites as well—and it feels like I have been waiting years to find out what happens to him. Oh, wait, it has been years.

(I am still patiently waiting on the end of the “Wheel of Time.”)

Jack Ryan universe series of books from Clancy

That totally doesn’t count does it?

I don’t know…I loved Clear and Present Danger. The movie, albeit entertaining, ain’t even a shadow of the book. Just loved the whole premise…why doesn’t the CIA/US military carry out black op missions like “Operation Reciprocity”?

Never got into the subsequent series though…the one with Jack Ryan’s son as the main character.

I fortunatly have a job that allows me to sit on my butt and read for half my shift so there isnt much in this thread that I havent read. I have a series no one mentioned and I highly recomend. The Repairman Jack Series by F. Paul Wilson. Great series

Foundation, and I havn’t even read it. I jsut wanted to up my post count haha

William Gibson
(you know the drill)

Enders Game & Bean series
(required reading for all scifi geeks)[/QUOTE]

I’ll put in my nod in for the Ender and Bean stories. Card has been one of my favorite author’s since I was a teen. Getting ready to start reading the brand new one tonight(Ender in Exile).

I didn’t see anyone mention Alistair Reynold’s Revalation Space series… These weren’t too bad, although the ending of the third left the tale feeling a little empty for me.

Some of my others:

The Dune Series

Hitchhiker’s Guide (whoever thought passing out in a ditch would lead to such a gleefully goofy series?:D)

I just finished Neuromancer which I would have never read without reading about it here, and have the next in the series waiting for me when I finish Ender.

Reviving a long-dormant thread…

The Mrs. is about to finish the Outlander books, and now she’s into historical fiction. And digs French stuff, too.

Anyone have any recommendations for another series she can check out?

“Not dead which eternal lie…”

Not really. Diana Gabaldon defied many genres to create her own genre.

For me, I could read 99 other historical romance novels that include elements of sci fi and fantasy and wouldn’t like any of them half as much as Outlander. (I tried a few) In other words, Outlander is at the edge of venturing outside of the SF/Fantasy genre to find romance. The Princess Bride and Neil Gaiman’s Stardust are out that way. They don’t get many neighbors. Now, if she wants to abandon sci fi fantasy altogether for straight straight historical romances, I guess there is plenty to explore. (Which might be what you are asking)

Otherwise I can recommend these quasi-historical genre series written by women featuring strong female protagonists, characters as memorable as Claire. Some romance included but it is not the primary focus. All are world class Nebula, Hugo, Locus nominations.

Boneshaker: The Clockwork Century by Cherie Priest
Just One Damned Thing After Another: The Chronicles of St. Mary’s by Jodi Taylor
Feed: The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant(okay, not historical, but Georgia should get a pass)
Soulless: The Parasol Protectorate
by Gail Carriger

Some of these are optioned, might see them on television too someday.