Fallout!!!

Attention Vault-Dwellers and wannabes; how can we as a community hail Halo and Mass Effect without showing love to one of the first sci-fi RPGs and still one of the best. Even if you didn’t get into the PC masterpieces Fallouts 1 and 2, you have to try Fallout 3 on PC, 360 and PS3. And just today was the release of Fallout: New Vegas, which I can’t wait to start.

Fallout’s epic scope and sandbox gameplay allows you to make the adventure you want with each choice you make altering the game. Fallout 3 took over my life for nearly 4 months straight, and that’s before the DLCs came out.

So what kind of hero, antihero, or villain have you become. Did you save Megaton or rigged the elections in the Republic of Dave? What was the craziest thing you have done in any of the games? And if you haven’t ever played, why not?

I did a 20-hour run, mostly story stuff, on 360 a while back. This year I got the PC GOTY version and put another 65-odd hours into it. Lots of fun, though Mothership Zeta was a slog and Point Lookout was brutally hard at times.

Still, it’s quite fun. Looking forward to my token Evil Woman run some time. Will wait to see if and when DLC drops for New Vegas.

I love going to these small communities where you would not expect things to happen, but hold big secrets. And I also love the tests of humanity you are put through such as the hotel or the mutant tree.

But what keeps me involved with Fallout is the feeling that I am in a living society that has its own values, rules, and hatreds. In Fallout 3, I love how radio plays a key role in the game and Three Dog was my savior on countless missions with his updates and words of encouragement.

I loved listening to the radio stations. Three Dog’s tales of my exploits rarely got old, though I would have loved more variety to it.

I felt like a survivor, figuring things out on my own as I moved through the world.

You guys are making me want to go back already.

Just wait until you get to New Vegas… it’s sweet! Does anybody have any funny Wasteland stories? I’ll just say one thing. There are some brahmin you just don’t hit with a baseball bat from behind…

I’m working on Fallout: New Vegas and barely scratched out 15 hours. While Fallout 3 is still my personal favorite, I am having so much fun. I already had my first morality gut-check when I met the Caesar’s troops for the first time as they were literally crucifying an entire town of thugs. They have numbers and armor on me. I have stempacks and ammo on them. Do I walk away or agree with them that its okay to torture people you don’t like? Or do I accept a foreseeable death and avenge these less-than-innocent victims? And did I mention that most of the crucified are still living and writhing? What would you do?

Finally picked up new Vegas and it is fantastic. I’ve just made it to novac.

The thing I hate is losing karma for stealing. I’m trying to be good, but there’s so much cool stuff I want.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I killed them :cool:

The ridiculous violence in this game makes it realllll easy to get bloodthirsty!!!

One thing I HAVE to give this series credit for, usually when a sequel comes out the games before it become unplayable…changes, graphics, whatever… I cranked up FO-3 a month ago and I’m just as hooked again as when I first played it!!!

I’m a veteran of Fallout 1, 2 and tactics but never really thought about 3. Instead, I’ve jumped to New Vegas a while ago, and I’m hooked! I love being back in the Fallout 'verse, with it’s bleak but sometimes whacky take on a post-apocalyptic retro-future (atomic-punk?). I am definitely not in a rush to finish it, and plan on grabbing all 4 DLC expansions soon. Gotta say, I love critting with the plasma weapons and reducing mobs to piles of green goo.

Give me more!

If you want a game just like New Vegas, get Fallout 3. It’s very close to the same game, close enough that you should enjoy it. 3’s a bit easier, mostly because VATS freezes enemies while you’re shooting. In Vegas, they can shoot back making VATS a bit more troublesome. In 3, you can pretty much play the whole game in VATS or at least use it as a “Oh crap” mode when you get swarmed. In Vegas, you can die if you don’t play VATS correctly.

The story in 3 is also a bit more grand. In Vegas, you spend a lot of time being a normal person and then you end up doing amazing things. In 3, you are constantly reminded that you are different so when you do those amazing things, they seem normal :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Oops, didn’t realize this was an old thread. I thought I was replying to the first post in a new one :slight_smile: What I said still stands, though :slight_smile:

Heya 5th. Thanks for the prespective. I’m about to commit to the 4 Fallout:NV DLC packs to extend the experience, but when I’m done, I wasn’t sure if I was going to go back and play Fallout 3. Based on your review, I probably will :slight_smile: (I live in VATS).

Just finished new vegas last night. Though I didn’t even finish at max level. Listening to the epilouge, I realized how much I missed/didn’t finish. I’m back at Primm in my 2nd playthrough now.

I have played Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas plus some of the DLC for both games. I enjoyed Fallout 3 a bit more, due mostly to the “newness” factor, though both are great fun. New Vegas is very much like Fallout 3 so if you liked one, you will probably like the other. Don’t rush to the end in either game as once it is over, it is over. Like most open world Bethesda games, the Fallouts are glitchy, glitchy, glitchy. If that would bother you, stay away. I don’t mind the glitch since there is ususally a work around.

I alway play the good gal. Paragon of virtue. In New Vegas, that means I do miss some of the quests, but they are not the type of quests I would want to play anyway. If you enjoy the darker side of things, there is slightly more replay value. I have played about 100 hours of 3 and 80 hours of NV. I’m done, but it was a great run. I recommend the game for players who enjoy open world RPG’s.

Still loving it, but the bugs are driving me nuts from time to time.

So, I’ve completed Dead Money, and although it got some bad press, the pervasive creepy feeling, combined with a general sense of helplessness at the beginning, definitely worked for me.

I find that if I have a tiny bit of time in the evening, I’ll just log on and fast travel to a couple spots that Vipers or Caesar’s legion will always spawn, and see what drops. The xp is pretty much negligible now (I’m at level 36 - the cap expands by 5 levels with each DLC), but popping into VATS and headshotting them with the rare-drop Gauss rifle is still fun :slight_smile:

I think this weekend I’ll run through the Honest Hearts DLC, as finding out the back story behind Caesar’s Legate seems pretty cool. I still have not done any of the quests on the strip, but I think I’ve cleared out most of the Mojave at this point!

More reports to come :slight_smile:

I liked Honest Hearts. It was enjoyable in a middling sort of way. No companions and a weight limit though, so plan ahead. You can’t come out until you are finished.

The best of the DLC that I have played was Old World Blues. Very, very wacky.

I know what you mean about the bugs. All I can suggest is save now and save often. I havn’t played for a year or so, so I forget where this place was, but it was the buggiest place ever. If I can recall correctly, it was an irradiated area near the Brotherhood bunker where you could walk up a bit of a hill to Tabitha’s. That placed CTD every single time I went that way. Pain, pain, pain. That said, I think bugginess goes with the big open worlds. I can’t think of an open game that was not buggy.

Well so far Honest Hearts is kinda fun. The 2nd tribe’s canyon is a bit of a pain in the rear to navigate, but it looks like it’s going to be a quick piece of DLC (as compared to Dead Money). Hit lvl 40 last night which was kinda cool, and generally enjoying Zion.

Cymberline, thanks for the perspective on Old World Blues - looking forward to it even more now!

Re: Bugs - It’s really irking me that the quest for getting Raul the Ghoul to progress to the Ghoul Vaquero is bugged (Loval the Boomer is nowhere to be found, and lots of forum posts say he could be at Tabitha’s, but he’s not). I’m still enjoying the game, but I’m not sure Bethesda Softworks is going to get much more of my business.

Well, Honest Hearts was kinda fun, really quick, but kinda ‘meh’ compared to Dead Money. The overall feel didn’t differ too much from vanilla FO:NV, but deeper canyons were kinda nice I guess.

I’m not sure what I expect from DLC anymore. It is a bolt-on experience, but sometimes it can be used to draw you further into the story. Unfortunately, Honest Hearts had lots of potential for development of the backstory, but didn’t really take advantage of it.

I did start Old World Blues last night, but don’t think I’ll have a ton of time to play this week. The first interaction with the Think Tank was indeed, kinda wacky (ok, waaaay out there would be more like it). I hope the camp gets dialed down just a bit. I did love the camp in earlier Fallouts, but FO:NV has been grim and gritty pretty much from day one, so veering into slapstick might be too much of a departure this far in.

Still loving the 'verse tho…

Old World Blues is campy. You need to keep that mind set in order to enjoy it. Camp does not get much lighter but, thankfully, there is less talky talky past the first campy info dump.

As for bugs, if you are on a pc, you can often use the console comands for work arounds. If you look on the net for responses to the bugs, you might be able to force the quest giver into your area. I did not have the bug you are complaining of, but I had another bug with a fellow from Fallout 3 who kept disappearing. I managed to force him back to his shack, though the first time I tried he came flying in at 100 miles an hour, hit the wall and died. Not sure why, but well. This old fart was well known for dying off screen.

Almost done Old World Blues, and really digging it. Crashing back to desktop or more often freezing is getting worse, and I’m on a PS3 so it’s really annoying. The FIDO gun was quirky, but again, I love how the DLC expands the universe and give a ton of backstory to both the main storyline as well as the other DLC packs. This is what was missing in Honest Hearts for me.

Just bought Dead Monkey and Lonely Road on Steam for $2.50 each. I wasn’t going to bother, but the price was right. I’m not sure when I will play them though as Skyrim is taking up all of my time at the mo’