Falling Skies 3.08 Strange Brew **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from Falling Skies Wiki:

[i]The episode starts with a very clean-shaven Tom Mason waking up from a dream next to his long-dead wife. They chat about mundane stuff and Tom mentions that he had a nightmare about an alien invasion. It’s Christmas time and he makes several comments about how much he loves his wife. His sons are around and we get to see what Matt would look like with his afro toned down.

Tom gets in his car and pulls up to a stop light. At the light, a bum carrying a sign that says “The End Is Near” bangs on his car hood and says, “Open your eyes!” The bum looks exactly like Col. Weaver. Later, Tom is at work at his college and as he runs into various other professors and the such, they are all people from the real Falling Skies timeline including Pope, Lourdes, and Maggie.

The only real life character who has not shown up yet is Anne, though people keep on telling Tom that someone named Anne is trying to get in touch with him. At one point, someone who claims to be Anne’s husband accuses Tom of having an affair with Anne. Outside, Tom keeps on seeing the Weaver-bum with his “The End is Near” sign. The other thing that keeps on coming up is that people keep on talking about Boston, New York, Jacksonville, and Chicago. Tom can sense something strange is going on. He looks in the mirror and sees the real version of himself looking back – the version with full beard.

Tom talks to Pope about how things seem strange and Pope tells him about a condition where you can’t tell your dreams from real life. As he rambles on, Tom again sees the bum-Weaver outside. After talking with Pope, Tom goes to a coffee bar and Anne is waiting for him there. She says she is all ready to go to whatever city he wants for their special weekend – Boston, New York, Chicago, or Jacksonville. Outside the coffee bar, bum-Weaver is trying to get in. He is trying to get away from Anne but she keeps on asking him which city he is going to. Things start to get really weird and then, suddenly, we see the real world where Tom has some kind of alien technology attached to his face. Clearly the Espheni were trying to get information out of him but it did not work.

The probe is pulled off of Tom’s face and Karen, the Espheni Overlord, is there. She wants to know which one of the main Espheni ships Tom and the Volm are planning to attack – the one in Boston, New York, Chicago, or Jacksonville. “Go to hell,” is Tom’s response. Just then, machine gun fire rings out as a rescue party bursts in and shoots the surrounding Skitters. The humans grab Karen and Tom asks her where Anne and Lexi are. She says other Overlords took them and Tom says, “Then you are of no use to me!” He pulls out a gun and shoots Karen between the eyes. Everyone starts to evacuate and Tom gets knocked out.

He wakes up in a Charleston hospital. Matt tells him he has been out for 2 days. Tom rushes to a military planning room and Weaver asks him if he told Karen where the attack would go. Tom says no and Weaver asks him to explain the plan to everyone in the room. Tom approaches a series of maps – of Boston, New York, Chicago, and Jacksonville and he realizes that he is still in a Espheni-controlled dream. He wakes up again and is still Karen’s captive. He laughs and says she must be really scared to be doing all this. Karen threatens to hurt Anne and Lexi if Tom will not talk. He grimaces but says nothing.

Back in Charleston, Anthony is trying to figure out who the mole is. He is speaking to Pres. Peralta and says everyone in the hospital has an alibi… except for the Peralta herself. She says she was in her room, but no one was with her. Maggie and Weaver are talking about a attack that is about to be launched on Karen’s headquarters. Maggie wants to be in the front lines because she wants to kill Karen. Weaver says that’s why he is going to put her in the rear. As Maggie starts to protest, a bomb goes off, knocking both of them back.

Back at Karen’s base, she takes Tom to see two covered bodies. She says it is Anne and Lexi and that she killed them. Tom flips out.

In Charleston, Weaver and Maggie are going to be ok. The explosion took out Weaver’s radio. He comments that he would have been dead if Maggie hadn’t slowed him down. She asks him again if she can be at the front of the assault and he agrees.

Karen tells Tom that the Espheni defense grid is about to be activated. It will gradually change the atmosphere of Earth and kill all the humans. She takes him outside so he can see it beginning to work. Tom seizes the opportunity as he grabs a Skitter and jumps off the ledge they are on. He uses the Skitter to break his fall and then he is free from Karen.

Back in Charleston, Peralta passionately tells Weaver that she is not the mole. She says that despite her earlier concerns about the Volm weapon, she knows they must use it now to take out the Espheni grid.

On the outskirts of Charleston, the Mason boys come back. Maggie runs out to give Hal a big kiss. Tom is not with them, but they seem confident that he will make it back at some point.

As Tom is wandering through the woods, he comes across a house that looks just like his home from his dream. He goes inside and starts to cry. He lies on a bed and sees his wife. She cradles him and talks about how much she loves him. Then she tells him to leave. “There is nothing here for you anymore” she says… and she is gone. Tom goes outside and begins to walk away as we see a giant Espheni ship in the background.[/i]

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ twenty-eighth overall and third season eighth episode Strange Brew. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

The “flashback”/dream scenes during Tom’s interrogation by Karen were well done. It was nice to see a pre-invasion world again and it was also nice to actually interact with Tom’s wife Rebecca again, played by Jennifer Ferrin. There has been heavy emphasis on Rebecca all the season and it’s paid off tremendously so far. And I thought it was interesting to go back to the holiday season time frame with all the Holiday Spirit and goodwill ongoing. It was a perfect time to try and get something out of Tom with his guard down as much as it could have been. New York, Boston, Jacksonville or Chicago. It reminded me of Picard’s interrogation in Chain Of Command a little bit.

Supposedly Anne and Lexa are dead but I don’t believe that for a minute. I also don’t believe for a minute that Karen LET Tom escape. Especially with the whole Rebecca dream sequence in Tom’s old house in Boston.

Did you notice the actor who plays Cochise was one of the professors in lounge area sitting with Marina Peralta? I only caught it because closed captioning told me who was speaking. So if you want to see what Cochise looks like without his Volm suit, go back and check that scene out.

Maggie played a very exuberant revolutionary war student who thought there was nothing sexier than women with guns. Nice.

It was also interesting to see Matt and Ben as they war pre-invasion. Ben was pretty geeky looking. And Hal’s girlfriend Rita was a nice bonus too.

Will Patton who plays Col Weaver makes an extremely effective homeless guy, don’t you think?

Back in the real Charleston Pope and Weaver discuss how to handle things with Peralta not 100% clear of the Hathaway murder. Pops mentions that it is just the two of them left. Question: Where is General Porter?

Now that we know Lourdes Delgado is the mole it’s hard to watch her work anymore. And with all those bugs in her eyes you never know who else she is infecting along the way.

So the Espheni grid is up and running now. Of course I thought immediately about Star Trek’s Tholian Web but that’s just me.

When Tom leaves Boston for the final time you know he is leaving everything behind and makes a perfect setup for a final suicide push this season if necessary. My only question is will they trust Tom after he returns? He has returned with an eye bug before so it’s possible. Just sayin’.

This was a better episode than the previous one and a very creative way at doing a partial clip show or flashback show without actually doing clips or flashbacks.

~Shooter Out