Fake Jedi textbook!

Okay, has anyone else ever seen something and suddenly realized that they’ve been wanting it forever even though they’d never heard of it before? About a month and a half ago, I heard about this:

//youtu.be/zSPKJa1pn1o

It’s a book called “The Jedi Path” by Dan Wallace. Its conceit is that it’s written as a textbook for the Jedi, handed down through several generations with their notes collected in the liner spaces, and this edition has a vault, a bunch of little doodads stuck in the pages, etc. Me being me, I had to have it. I got it in the mail today and have been reading it all evening.

It’s pretty much perfect. The author, Dan Wallace, has done a lot of writing for the RPG sourcebooks and I think this served him well in trying to write something like sixteen different voices (seven Jedi Masters who wrote the actual textbook, as well as the assenting and dissenting voices in notes: Yoda, Thame Cerulian, Dooku, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, Darth Sidious, and Luke Skywalker.) There’s a lot of cool illustrations by artists that I like and respect, but the real meat for me is the notes. The point of the text is for the reader to decide for themselves where the old Jedi Masters were correct and where they were waaaaaaay off–when you find yourself agreeing with someone’s notes, it’s always interesting to see who you’re agreeing with, given what we do or don’t know about their lives. It comes together as a fun read and a great thought exercise, if you (like me) are at all prone to long-winded meandering philosophical conversations about the nature of the Force and the Jedi.

It’s expensive as frak right now, because it comes in a mechanized little vault that makes noise and lights up and looks generally awesome (and has those little doodads in the pages), but there might be a stripped-down edition in the future with just the book. If you can get your hands on it at some point, it’s really worth a read.

Yeah, if it weren’t for the price, this thing would be in my apartment on a pedestal like some sacred ancient tome. Also, it would further validate my habit of walking around in a Jedi robe.

I love this idea, and I hope they do more stuff like it – like a hutt crime book or something.

oh my yes…

“Fake Jedi textbook!”
You mean there are real ones!? Dude, you bought the wrong one!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHa!!!

This is so fraking cool! Amazon is showing it for $59.95… I’m having a crisis.

Bwah. The author said in an interview I heard that the way it was printed was supposed to be the closest they could get to it looking authentic, like if it came through some kind of time-space rift. (Except for the last page, where they had to have the publishing credits and all for legal reasons.) How much percentage real vs. fake does that make it?

It’s not terribly long for that much cash, but the packaging and extras are so fun. Fangirl me who wants Rebel Swoop and Imperial Gear tattoos, has five different versions of the OT, and buys just about every comic and book the day they come out considers it worth it. Take that as you will.

For the record…yes! Happens to me all the time. I think Homer said something like “But I’ve wanted it my entire life ever since I heard about it just a few minutes ago!” I kinda live like that.

And yes, I geeked over this book a bit. Thanks for bringing it up!