Essential Episodes

I figured this would be a good way to join the community:

Of each Trek series, What is the most essential episode, that is the one that embodies the general feel of its respective series?

So far I can pin down TOS: The Man Trap, and TNG: Measure of a Man. What do you think?

That is a great question. I’ll have to give it some thought and get back with you.

~Shooter out.

All of the Star Trek series are actually fairly diverse in what kinds of episodes they will do. The Measure of a Man is a great episode and I think really captures the much of the general spirit of Star Trek. However, it is basically a court room drama. No aliens, no exploration (in the traditional sense), not much to do with space, which is essential to Star Trek. One could also argue that some episodes could be set in any series without major changes, and to really focus on what makes each series special is a different question entirely.
I think a better way would be to do something like 5 episodes from each series to really sum up what the show was about.

Welcome Robert!

While there have been many threads on this forum asking us to list our favorite Star Trek episodes, you are the first to I think ask the question in quite that way.

Measure of a Man is my favorite TNG episode, but I can’t say it captures what that series is all about.

Anyway. Cool question. I’ll get back to you.

That’s a good point. I’m sure there are cases where an episode that really captures the essence of a series isn’t necessarily one of the best ones. For example, the Voyager episode where they find a civilization with technology that could help them get home, but have the Prime Directive turned around on them is something that came to mind with dealing with what Voyager is about, but I don’t remember anything other than the vague plot of it.

As Data is Almost Unique (save for his brother) in the Galaxy, He poses a question that could only arise in that situation, and was answered in only a way that TNG could answer it. This is why I selected it over the Plethora of Romulan - federation space altercations, Borg Episodes, or Q Confrontations.

As for my TOS Episode: The man trap is wholly and fully TOS.

I would have selected a Voyager, Enterprise or DS9 Episode, but I have not finished watching the respective series yet and cannot give a fair assesment.

Yup. I like the episode of Voyager a lot. For Voyager, the chosen episode really has to include some connection to “getting back home” since that’s the main theme of Voyager.

Not Bad for a first thread, I had hoped for more replys, but I guess its in the timing and the initial question…

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

for this forum that’s actually a pretty solid response…social media did indeed slay the message board…

as for the topic…I found each TOS episode was so separate and different from each other that it’s hard to lump a few as more “essential” then the others…more so once you got out of season 1 and the characters truly find themselves…having just finished DS-9 aside of the “Ocean’s 11” tribute…I tend to attach more to the characters and their story arcs then I do actual episodes…

After some thought, for me The Trouble With Tribbles would be a good ‘essential episode’ as you call it for Star Trek TOS. There’s tension with Klingons, it is space based on the station, it has high comical elements, Scotty is forced to deal with fixing the situation and Kirk gets to strut his stuff. It’s not perfect but it’s close to embody the series for me in one episode. I agree with Fenatic though and would recommend to group the 5 episodes that most embody each of the series. There is definitely enough material out there to make this a worth-while question to answer.

For What It’s Worth my TOS 5 “Essential Episodes” would be:

-The Trouble With Tribbles (Comedy, Klingons, Scotty magic)
-The City on the Edge of Forever (Kirk, Spock & McCoy at their finest)
-The Tholian Web (Space based “battle” with the crew simultaneously saving Kirk and Spock dealing with leadership tension)
-A Piece of the Action (Kirk adapting to the situation and arriving at an unconventional yet satisfying solution - could possibly substitute The Naked Time for this one)
-Mirror, Mirror (Evil Spock? Need I say more)

The Doomsday Machine is a close 6th because of the space battles which are sorely missing in 4 of my 5 above but I felt the others justified their position above it. I also wanted very much to add Space Seed but A Piece Of The Action won out over it. The Naked Time was also a close top 5 essential episode contender especially since it was a crew specific episode with danger and peril to the Enterprise herself. Honestly I didn’t choose The Man Trap because of the intense and cheesy horror feel to it. Although I’m not a horror fan so I’ll admit that is a personal decision limitation of mine.

I’ll continue to think of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise solutions to the question. Best Of Both Worlds keeps popping in my mind for TNG but I’ll reserve my option to finalize that until I do.

~Shooter Out.

Oh. We haven’t even started.

Welcome to the Forum.

Essential episode that embodies the series. OK. Let’s start with the Original Series. It needs to be allegorical, revolve around the Kirk-Spock-McCoy triumvirate, and reveal humanity’s potential and possibilities. Should include at least 3 of the following elements: Mind-meld, Nerve Pinch, Phaser, Dead Red shirt, Communicator, Transporter, Kirk’s ripped shirt.

‘Where No Man Has Gone Before’ The unprecedented second pilot episode fits the criteria but it’s too early on for all the cylinders to be working.

‘Shore Leave’ One of my favorites that has another important element, it’s fun. The amusement planet aliens are surprised by humanity’s experience. The episode focuses on that humanity’s dreams and desires are destructive.

‘The Devil in the Dark’ Hits the mark. It capitalizes on understanding that which is different.

‘The Doomsday Machine’ Commentary on atomic annihilation and man’s ingenuity to survive.

‘Day of the Dove’ We can overcome our differences even in the face of overwhelming influence.

I have to go with ‘The Devil in the Dark’. It’s a better portrayal of the twist on the creature-of-the-week theme established in ‘The Man Trap’. Unlike the 50’s scifi movies instead of just blindly killing the creature, you get to know it. Understand where it is coming from. It’s not hideous because it is different. It is interesting and has the potential to add and even enhance your existence. When we explore new worlds, and seek out new life and new civilizations, how will we act? How will we conduct ourselves? Will we follow our passions, our logic, or our charisma?

Especially Kirk’s ripped shirt. Even better if it’s that ugly green one! :wink:

I am going to have to go with you on The trouble wit Tribbles, and with Mirror, Mirror. But I will hold fast on The Man Trap. It is the first episode that comes to mind when I think TOS I look forward to your thoughts on the other series!

I will have to rewatch the doomsday machine, Both you and shooter hit on that one. I will agree with you on Where no man hs gone before, it is definatially a significant episode. What are your thoughts on TNG?

TOS – City on the Edge of Forever … hit’s the sweet spot for me with the Kirk/Bones/Spock friendship. The concept is top notch scifi.

In comparison to the other television of that era, people must have tuned into Star Trek and wondered “WTF am I watching” :slight_smile:

OB

Not Bad for a first thread, I had hoped for more replys, but I guess its in the timing and the initial question…
We are a slow burn here. Give it time. I’m still thinking. :slight_smile:

Dammit Jim, I’m a doctor not a librarian!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not quite yet. Next up: The Animated Series.

Although it has been disavowed by Gene Roddenberry, plenty of references from the series have been used in novels, episodes, and movies. Most notably, the recent 2009 Star Trek film used moments from ‘Yesteryear’ as part of Spock’s background.

Since it was animated, the series was able to actually explore strange new worlds they couldn’t do with live-action. There were truly alien characters, Arex and M’Ress. During its run there were PSA’s about anti-pollution and dental hygiene.

OK. Now down to the question at hand, essential episode that embodies the series.

‘Yesteryear’ is a great episode. One worth seeing for any Star Trek fan. It provides a ton of background for Spock and the planet Vulcan. We meet Spock’s sehlat.

‘More Tribbles, More Troubles’ is also fun and supplies more background to the Klingon hatred toward the fuzzy menace.

The uniqueness of the Animated Series is its ability to show adventures that would be impossible for the live-action show. I think ‘Beyond the Farthest Star’ with its insectoid vessel and the hypergravitational forces the crew experiences put this episode beyond (hehe) the others in the series.

I started this yesterday but managed to restart my computer without finishing it or saving it or posting it, so here goes a recreation of my original thoughts on an essential episode for TNG.

The one episode I definitely would NOT consider as the TNG essential episode would be Encounter At Farpoint. With that said there would no Best Of Both Worlds, Tapestry or As Good Things without Encounter At Farpoint. There would also be no DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. Nor would there likely be the complete set of 10 Roddenberry-era movies or the two JJ Abrams reboots. So I’m prepared to give credit where credit is due and extend my appreciation to Gene Roddenberry and NBC for bringing back Star Trek to the small screen and enabling the great Star Trek content I’ve enjoyed since 1987 (26 years). Encounter At Farpoint remains one of my least favorite TNG episodes ever.

I also want to caveat this post by saying that my favorite TNG episodes are The Best Of Both Worlds, Yesterday’s Enterprise, The Inner Light, All Good Things, and Chain Of Command. Close to my top 5 favorite are the Moriarty hollodeck episodes but all these others win out.

Also, Star Trek The Next Generation popularized technobabble. I’d even say that Next Gen is responsible for creating it. Voyager perfected it for sure, but Next Gen brought it out to the masses. With that in mind any Next Gen essential episode would have to incorporate technobabble.

The Hollodeck was such an integral part of Next Gen. I’d love for an essential episode to include the hollodeck but since nearly all of those episodes are only internal to the crew and the ship (no aliens and no space battles) I wouldn’t necessarily state that it HAS to be part of any essential episode.

Dr. Beverly Crusher on the Enterprise is a must, which to me negates any season 2 episode.

Similarly any essential episode would have to include Ensign Wesley Crusher. Welsey was the personal brainchild of Roddenberry himself and meant to be Gene himself re-encarnated into the Star Trek Universe itself. Roddenberry also stood up for Wesley whenever the character or the actor Wil Wheaton was attacked. So because of the Roddenberry connection alone I would have to include Wesley in any essential episode which would limit it to one of the first 3 ½ seasons.

Worf needs to be a badass.

Riker needs to assume some command-type role.

Guinan needs to be in Ten-Forward.

Geordi needs to work some engineering magic.

Data needs to take on some other robotisized creature or explore his positronic brain.

Troi needs to….well just be there and not crash the frakking ship.

Chief O’Brien needs to work some transporter magic.

I would love to say that All Good Things is an essential episode. It has technobabble, timeshifts/time travel and Beverly Crusher as Captain of her own ship. However, it is the very last episode and does not have Wesley so I’d recommend another.

So finally, I submit that The Best Of Both Worlds would be the TNG essential episode. It’s got it all but a hollodeck story in it. Heck, you even get to see the saucer and drive section as separate ships. What more could you ask for?

~Shooter Out

Can’t argue with Best of Both Worlds as a strong possibility, but there’s not much Picard (as Picard at least) in it, and he’s key to the whole series. Even without Wes, I’d be tempted to say “I, Borg” would be a strong contender, even though it focuses on Hugh with the what it means to be human angle instead of Data.