Episode VII News Roundup!

http://collider.com/j-j-abrams-star-wars/

will this bring the trek and wars franchises closer together or farther apart? who knows.

discuss

Personally I feel that abrams is a gifted director that I have confidence in to helm a successful star wars movie, but I worry what this will mean for the 3rd star trek movie. Big news is always fun tho!

/reach down
/grab handle
/head back
/hold breath
/pull pull pull

I do not think I can go on with this modern era of the nerd cult of personality.

//youtu.be/NzdUy90vTuk

get off my lawn!

OB

After the news of these new movies not having anything to do with the original characters… I’m sorta not viewing it as part of the saga, more like part of the Extended Universe.

Tragic, now he gets to ruin TWO franchises…

My only hope is that he is not allowed to use any of his own writers for the film, that Disney will hire or use their own writers. That will seriously limit the damage JJ can do. We have seen how utterly inept JJ’s writers are at doing Science Fiction, maybe with Science Fantasy it will not be as bad. Please no lens flares, and for God’s Sake NO RED MATTER!!! And personally, I felt the film those kids made in ‘Super 8’ was better than ‘Super 8’ itself. Maybe they should do Star Wars…

Gee maybe Michael Bay will get to do Episode 8… Spike Lee can to 9, and David Lynch can do 10; after all he was sooooooooooooooooooooo good at doing DUNE! :eek: (yes I am kidding, my tongue is so firmly implanted in my cheek I look like I am chewing on a tangerine.)

Rant over, you are free to smoke and move about the cabin.

I may be in the minority here but I am okay with this pick. I have grown up a big fan of Star Wars but I also find Star Trek enjoyable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I’m with Omra on this. I have no desire to see the next New-Trek after the first one…and now no interest in seeing any New-Wars if JJA directs.

I totally agree. Was the new Trek movie the best movie ever? No. Was it at LEAST on par with the average of all the rest of the Trek movies? Absolutely.

Sent from my Laptop using a keyboard :wink:

I agree with you. I really enjoyed the Star Trek reboot. I can’t wait to see what Abrams does with Star Wars.

I’ve been mulling over how I feel about all this reboot / prequel / re-imagined franchise panhandling. I was able to narrow it down to a feeling. So, indulge me.

In 1963, the Beatles emerged as a musical Rock n’ Roll phenomena. With each new album, they pushed their craft and industry to the limit. They inspired those around them and changed the landscape of Rock music forever. Then, in 1970, they disbanded. The Beatles were no more but there was still Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starr. They each had/have solo careers and are still adored by fans around the world. Were they ever the Beatles again? No.

The lightning struck and left a lasting image but the moment was gone.

I think the problem lies in the comparison to what was before. Creating a space adventure while dusting off the packaging and labeling. It’s all the gambling game of marketing. As much as the marketing geniuses want to play on your emotional attachment, don’t let them. That feeling you had at 7 is gone. That feeling you had at 10, 15, etc. is gone. You won’t capture it again and you shouldn’t want to.

This announcement is not surprising at all. I think it’s important to understand that George Lucas did not ruin Star Wars with the Prequels. However, changing Star Wars with the Special Editions is unforgivable. Abrams did not taint my love of Star Trek with Nu-Trek. To the marketing moguls Star Trek and Star Wars are revenue. It’s simple math. Abrams made money for Star Trek. Abrams will make money for Star Wars.

Sorry boys and girls but JJ gets to play with all the cool toys. Don’t feel disenfranchised by the franchise pomp and circumstance. I fell in love with Star Trek because it formed and challenged my ideals. I fell in love with Star Wars because it energized my imagination and desire for adventure. We live in an age where self-expression floods the social media networks. If you have the desire to create a Star Trek adventure, post it. Review the topics of the day and make social commentary from the safe distance of the Star Trek universe. If you wish to discover the mysteries of the Force and face the challenges of the Star Wars universe, analyze the depths of your soul and devise the struggle. Make it known to all who will listen.

I will not allow my desires and dreams to be dictated to by the rich kid who gets sole access to the greatest sandbox in the world. Frak that. I’m going to the beach with all my friends and we’ll build our own castles in the sand.

Well said, my friend.

I’m not sure I can explain why, but I haven’t been able to get myself excited about another Star Wars movie. I feel like that tale has been told. But I’m sure it will be well done, and I’ll see it and I’ll like. JJ Abrams does his job well.
He rebooted Star Trek and I liked it. And I was suppose to like it. Everyone was supposed to like it.

But will movies like that ever equal or recapture my joy of watching Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly on the bridge in their roles in for example, “The Corbomite Maneuver” or when I stood in line at 14 to see Star Wars in the movie theater in 1977? No and no.
I

^^ This.
Frak gets it.

Let Rodney direct it.

//youtu.be/gwjlDBjNzXk

OB

Say hello to my own, personal nerd Jesus.

I am going to take this opportunity to take my son who will about 8 in 2015 to this so that he can have that moment in his life like i had when i was about his age, when i saw Return of the Jedi in the theater.

Same here…if anything, Abrams kept his characters and personalities very much true to their original characters as possible…that’s what make the originals so much better then the prequels, the characters got you invested in them…I’m anxious to see him get the keys to the car and jump into hyperspace!

Wow, did not expect it would be Abrams. Not sure why people are upset, Abrams is a solid director who has done a lot of good stuff. Would not be my first choice to direct, but still a good choice. I think some of the problems people have with his work is more the writers he often works with not his directing style.

Sorry boys and girls but JJ gets to play with all the cool toys. Don’t feel disenfranchised by the franchise pomp and circumstance. I fell in love with Star Trek because it formed and challenged my ideals. I fell in love with Star Wars because it energized my imagination and desire for adventure. We live in an age where self-expression floods the social media networks. If you have the desire to create a Star Trek adventure, post it. Review the topics of the day and make social commentary from the safe distance of the Star Trek universe. If you wish to discover the mysteries of the Force and face the challenges of the Star Wars universe, analyze the depths of your soul and devise the struggle. Make it known to all who will listen.

This. However, it doesn’t mean you can’t get enlightenment out of a new story too.

The potential that Disney has with the Star Wars property is a topic for another thread but it’s pretty clear that by hiring JJ Abrams for this they’re serious about providing a good-looking experience, certainly to be in 3D as well, but one with complex story-telling to go with it.

Regardless what any individual might feel about the guy, his box-office clout can’t be denied and his TV credits show that he is perfectly capable of handling a property with a plethora of characters with multiple storylines. By that criteria alone he’s more than qualified. We also have to remember that despite being the huge fans that we are, despite being the audience that kept Star Wars alive between 1983 and 1999 by purchasing the toys and expanded universe novels, weare not the audience that these movies are aimed at. Disney is looking for the biggest chunk of mass market appeal they can grab which is why they’ll likely ignore the post Jedi Expanded Universe content in order to make the movie more accessible.

This does however open the door to a whole new world I’m not sure many people have thought of: the movie universe becomes the equivalent of Marvel-616, the novels their own separate but just as legitimate reality. Take it a step further and it becomes just another universe in the vast Marvel multiverse or perhaps the distant past of 616 which opens up the possibility of Star Wars/Marvel superhero crossovers in comics (or otherwhere if they so choose). This is a topic for another thread though as I said above.

Another view point:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/6763-A-Disturbance-In-The-Force

Yeah. Felt the same way. Abrams. Safe choice.

I was hoping they would look toward new talent, people who would look at the franchise with ‘fresh eyes’. Some one who does not have a familiar ‘style’ or ‘look’ that would color the production.

My greatest hope was that they would approach PIXAR, there is some amazing talent over there. And while they are no longer exactly family any longer. it would be nice to see two huge creative companies putting their heads together on something this important.

Let’s start it off with this news:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-han-solo-harrison-ford/