Electronic Arts is in, LucasArts is out!

I was reading an article about Disney giving Electronic Arts Star Wars game rights which seemed odd given the existence of LucasArts. Near the end of the article they explain that LucasArts was shut down with the acquisition a month ago.

Pouring one out for my homie. Zak McKracken, we hardly knew ye.

E…A…Force? It’s in the game?

Frak yeah! From the peeps that brought you Mass Effect and Battlefield. The future of Star Wars games is looking good. They can take my money for KoTOR 3, Battlefronts 3 and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter 2 right now.
RPGs go to Bioware and shooters go to DICE. Win/Win.

They can take my money for KoTOR 3, Battlefronts 3 and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter 2 right now.

I’m not an expert on how rights for these things work, but is it even possible to continue earlier Star Wars game series?

I’m less than thrilled. EA has made some good games, but the majority turn out somewhat mediocre. EA is so big at this point though that it really depends what studios are working on the games. Quality may vary greatly.

While on one hand I’m intrigued with the things Bioware, Visceral and DICE could do with the property, on the other I’m worried about EA’s penchance for spamming a title until it’s the same game every year with new rosters cough Madden! cough

As for continuing old series, I would love to see them finish 1313 and resolve the cliffhanger from Force Unleashed 2. LucasArts being now defunct I would imagine all titles belong to Disney so I’m sure they could. Will they? Probably not considering this Lucas Film buyout was Disney’s attempt at a massive cash grab, specifically by way of merchandise. We’ll probably get more Wii and Kinect shit they can mass unload on an unsuspecting general public.

So this happened, figured some people here might be interested:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4415934/star-wars-battlefront-dice-ea-battlefield-e3-2013

I’ll be in my bunk.

That was my initial thought. DICE is perfect to developer for Battlefront because they did the Battlefield series, and they are somewhat similar. Then I remembered I don’t really like Battlefield 3. Hmm. Still, it is a game that is happening that I thought would never see the light of day.