East Coast Earthquake. Report

All,

So far no reports of major damage, mostly building shaking from Washington DC to NYC and as far north as NH and as far south as SC.

Solai checking in.

A friend of mine in Boston said it really shook her building. I am north of Boston in an old mill building and felt nothing. I wonder how my cats reacted.

Check it out on the USGS site for more information. Click on the “Did you feel it?” for a map of where it was felt…doesn’t show all of the areas that were being reported on Twitter:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/se082311a.php

I didn’t feel it here in Central Illinois.

I’m seeing tweets from NC to Ottawa to Ohio. Quake was only 1Km down, so shaking was worse than similar sized ones.

Buildings in DC are being evacuated.

I’m in Boston, but I felt nothing. My mother called and told me about it. I was clueless. I’m on the second floor though. I’m thinking the higher you are, the more you felt it. Also, I think it depends how old your building is and what it’s made of. On the local news, people seem to say brick buildings were more affected. I’m in a relatively new building. 1970’s.

Local news said, there’s some damage to a chapel in D.C. and they are inspecting the building.

They also said some people are returning to work in D.C. and airlines are resuming flights. Flights were being diverted from VA, D.C., and NY (and I think Phillie), bbut they are resuming normal service now.

CNN: Amtrak is operating at reduced speed between D.C. and Baltimore.

Figures. The GF is trying to get back on that right now.

SEPTA (Philly) is running again, but passenger loads mean hour long delays.

CNN: Nuclear plant in VA operating on emergency generators to keep the rods (which were shut down) cool. They (the plant officials) report no problems.

Early pictures of the devastation are coming in, here’s a shocking scene from downtown Washington DC:

Baltimore’s subway is shut down.

And, the stock market is up 300 points. One of the biggest gains of the year. Coincidence? (:

Local News: Logan Airport has no more room for diverted planes.

The horror…the horror…

Damage to one of the churches in Baltimore. Closed indefinitely. Reports of two county schools that may have been damaged as well.

My office building in Reston, VA, about 17 miles west of DC, was evacuated briefly. Some stone fell off of a couple of spires on the National Cathedral, some ceiling materials have fallen down in the passenger areas of National Airport and Union Station. Metro and commuter trains are mostly running but at greatly reduced speeds while tracks and tunnels are being checked. Monuments and memorials were evacuated while they are being checked, and the Park Service can’t say when they’ll reopen. Traffic is more of a mess than usual since everyone left work early to try to get home. All the people are OK, which is good, just minor damage to structures here and there.

That was the National Cathedral. Three of the pinnacles have come off.

So the largely secular town is undamaged while the church takes a beating.

Interesting.

BTW, looks like Google Maps caught the quake in progress:

Whipped together a quick commentary on the media coverage:

Pardon the primitive production, kid is sitting here waiting to play some Star Control 2 against me.