Earth 2 and Space: Above and Beyond

Last night I was browsing through the Netflix Instant Watch library and was pleasantly surprised to find that Earth 2 was available. This reminded me of Space: Above and Beyond since, in my memory at least, those shows aired around the same time.

I always thought both shows were great but both were cancelled by their respective networks after a single season. I’ve always wondered why those shows didn’t last but now-a-days other sci-fi shows like LOST, BSG, etc. do so well.

I watched the first two episodes of Earth 2 and it was great. It was also cool that my wife was getting to watch it for the first and I was happy to see that she enjoyed it. I think these two shows would make for a good discussion on the podcast. Both are available as a single set on DVD and can both be acquired from Netflix.

Here’s the links to Wikipedia pages for the shows in case anyone doesn’t know what I’m talking about.

Earth 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2_(TV_series)

Space: Above and Beyond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond

I’m glad to hear Earth 2 is on Instant Watch. I’ve never seen and wanted to check it out.

I just recently watched all of Space: Above and Beyond. I liked it and was really impressed with how much of the universe they packed into the first season. My favorite episode was ‘Who Monitors the Birds?’ with Hawkes behind enemy lines all alone.

I adore Space Above & Beyond, but I think it was ahead of its time by a few years. I’ve seen it a few times since it was first aired and IMO it holds up better than other shows of the same time. Earth 2 I’ve heard mention of before, will have to see if I can check it out.

I’ve mentioned S:AaB a few times on th eforum. I find some aspects can be compared to BSG and DS9. Definitely ahead of it’s time.

At some point, I’m sure there’ll be a 'cast on it.

Durn, I remember Galaxy Ranger a couple years back saying I MUST see Space Above & Beyond, but I never did. Gotta get on that.

I saw Earth 2 when it first aired. Good Sci Fi. And good mystery. It’s due for a rewatch.

These two series are probably why I expect any new sci fi series to be cancelled prematurely. I thought S:AaB was great. I wish it would have lasted longer.