Dungeon & Dragons (or other RPG) Stories and Memories

In honor of the current Dragon Arc, I thot it would be fun to share stories about Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game experiences. I’m talking paper and dice, tabletop D&D here (let’s keep video games a separate discussion).
I used to play quite a bit in my 20s and 30s (always less and less as I got older of course).

How long and how long ago did you play?

Always with the same group?

Did you ever run the game (DungeonMaster)?

Did you have cool metal painted figures? Maps? Props?

Favoriate D&D characters?

Most memorable campaign or moment?

EDIT: Changed thread title to include “(other RPGs)”

Just D&D or other systems? Because I’ve been playing with tabletop RPG groups for a few years now, but only played my first D&D game proper last year.

Sure! What do you play?

I have to say that the memories that stick with me are from Traveler™. I would make character drawings for all my players (a lot of them ended up looking like Han Solo, oddly)

I loved the char generation in Traveler. It was almost a game in itself (do you try to reach retirement? You might die!)

RIFTS (Chaos Earth, but mostly Three Galaxies)
Scion
Exalted
Star Wars
Dark Heresy
Rogue Trader
D&D
Dark Suns
Forgotten Realms

So many stories from so many games… most memorable characters have been Dr. Ameles, my bug medic from RIFTS (think Walter Bishop from Fringe crossed with Dug from Up in the body of a four-foot-tall bug who rides around on a Segway), Sansa from Forgotten Realms (orphaned Tiefling cleric raised in a dwarven monastery who had no idea why people kept running from the demonic-looking seven-foot-tall horned thingy with red-purple skin), Aruka from Dark Suns (cannibal nihlist halfling rogue), and Merula Iero, my Rogue Trader character (human missionary who is dead set on killing all heretics but especially all xenos scum. Did I say killing? I meant purifying with fire and a giant chainsword.)

Favorite DM story would be when I ran a Star Wars game where our Bothan noble managed to free 300 Wookiees from slavery through trickery, got them and their families to swear life debts to him, and then the party plus Wookiees took over a Star Destroyer and took off to parts unknown. Game ended pretty shortly because two of the players left for the military and college classes got really, really stressful, which is a shame since it was a ton of fun.

The PAX gaming session with the Penny Arcade guys, the PvP guy, and hWil hWeaton.

Part the first:

//youtu.be/uqXqK3ZlqWI

You can view the rest here.

Title changed per request.

Used to play:

Champions
Villans and Vigilantes
Marvel Superheroes
Starfleet Battles
AD&D
Car Wars
Ogre
(And I am sure I have forgotten a few)

Researched but never played:

Mecha
Gurps
Call of Chthulu
Vampire the Masquarade

I was first introduced to AD&D in the Air Force, while the rest of the ‘wingnutz’ would leave the base to go get plastered and pick up various venereal diseases. I and my two associates would play D&D for at least 12 hours straight for two days.

Used to have huge Role Playing parties with members of my Doctor Who club, but gave up on D&D because it was so unweildy. We would have loads of fun doing the character interactions and solving the mysteries and so forth, but as soon as a battle erupted the game would slow to a frakking crawl. Everyone had to whip out their various dice and charts and tables and calculators, I found it very frustrating. So I sat down and designed my own gaming system, which incorporated many elements from all of the systems I had been playing, it went through many changes and tweaks over time until I was satisfied with it. Things went MUCH smoother.:slight_smile:

I have not gamed in years though, everyone has moved away and I do not move within the convention circles anymore. I miss the gaming marathons…

I doubt many hardcore gamers would like my methods, I am more about the story and the character interactions. Immersing the players in my world and making them a part of it, it should be fun and terrifying at the same time. Not about the treasure or experiance points, or memorizing monster books or massaging your stats. It is about BECOMING your character and experiancing another world.

I loved designing modules, and creating magical weapons and NPC’s with depth and backstories. I used my NPC’s to help nudge the players in the right direction from time to time, or to try and convince them not to do something immensly stupid. I don’t believe in killing characters if I can help it, but sometimes you just have to do something nasty to them to teach them a lesson.

For me the fun was in the storytelling, watching the reactions of the players and the commraderie develop. And forgetting; at least for awhile, about the world outside and immersing ourselves in a world of make believe. A world of adventure…

I’ve been a GM for the last 7years. I’ve played a bunch of system including :
Star wars
D&D
D20 modern
Conan
Shadow Run
And Dark Heresy

My favorite story happen 5 years ago while I was GMing a Star Wars Kotor game.
I like to prepare long ongoing game and for keeping them compelling I create “nemesis” character. My own personal Darth Vader to my players Luke.

The players have befriend Darth Raven ( second Kotor game was not publish so I was filing the gap) and put their hand on a part of his personal Armada. They are all sit un a conference room having a war meeting about convincing the Mandalorian to help them attack Koriban to take over the academy.
A new Sith lord communicate with them to intimidate them. I had pass the previous night building this character as the big baddie of this episode ( yes I did 6 episode in that game) and making him very treating.
Where around level 14 at that point and at the table I have a Sith Lord, a Sith marauder and npc Darth Revan base of my own run in Kotor videogame.
The call start and the bad guy well sit in is own vessel around a moon of Taris is making a intimidation check against my player. One of them, the Sith Lord Darth Pain, roll a natural 20.
I had a house rule, as Sith if certain condition were met, in the case of Pain being bullied, your use the force skill checks were multiply by 2 as a way to portrait the Dark Side. My baddie was more of a leader built and Pain decide to Force choke him.
I was like: you can do this is on the other end of the galaxy in an undisclosed location! We check the rules and as seen in ESB you only need to see the opponent. Pain then rolled a second natural 20 witch doubled the damage in that system killing my baddie at the first encounter ( witch was trough a fracking screen!!!).

That was the end of him.
To this day we still tell the story. That was the end for that particular night as my player outwit me and scrap 3 planned game session.
I have to say my player are really good at finding creative way to solve plot twist :wink: witch keeps me on my toes.

Gee, I guess it would be nice if I actually posted my D&D story in this thread that I created, huh? Here goes:

Me and 4 of my friends started playing D&D the year after high school. We were already into board games and some of us had played a little D&D. I think we all took a turn at one plot Dungeon Mastering, but eventually my friend Gary became the ongoing dungeon master and we kept a continuous campaign going for literally 10 years and then a good number years after that when we played only off and on.

I supposed I was lucky having close friends that were into gaming RPGs, wargames, any kind of games. I know people do get together with strangers and gaming clubs or events and play, but I’m never done that. I always had the luxury of friends that we’re into these games like I was. Naturally, as life fills up with many other things we can’t get together as often, but we still do—even if it’s only 5 or 6 times a year.

Our D&D campaign hit it’s peak when our game morphed into a Cavalier-centric D&D campaign. (Cavaliers are horse mounted knights.) We all had a main cavalier character, and one or two secondary characters. After many adventures Gary eventually developed more and more detail for the campaign setting. (This was totally out of his imagination). He had a maps of the whole wide lands and the countries our characters were in. And as such, our cavaliers were deeply part of that setting—our histories, our families, our enemies, or allegiances.
Eventually our characters actually became titled nobles. My character Matthew was made the Duke of Wesstleton, my other friends were Barons and Counts with their own realms—all in fealty to our King, the NPC known as King Eliden. We’d still go on adventures as a party, but there was this whole background of who our characters were – and our responsibilities.

While there was plenty of cool action, and dice rolling and creature killing and dungeon exploring, we also kept the “role playing” aspect of RPGs in the forefront. My character Matthew for instance always talked in the sort of tone and manor as Graham Chapman from Monty Python (think King Arther in Monty Python’s holy grail). I’d even end most of my sentences with “what?”. “Time we stormed this castle and arrest all these unlawful orges, what?”
It was a blast. I miss those times.

Gary is also a very talented artist so he had wonderful drawings of our characters an scenes they were in. And he had a beautiful set of painted metal figures of EVERYTHING— Knights, orcs, orges, dragons, trolls, pike-men, thieves, clerics, hobbits, dwarfs, elves…the whole gamut.

Matthew was certainly my fav D&D character and the one I played the longest. It’s been quite a while since we played D&D but in since then we’ve gotten into other RPGs — a long stint of the Star Trek FASA RPG (which I gamemastered), and currently we play Deadlands (on those rare times we can get together) also GMed by me.

For some reason I’m having trouble thinking of a particular most memorable D&D moment. But I have nothing but fond memories of those times.

We I do remember is that one of my friends parents had a gazebo in their yards and we’d play D&D there a lot (when we were our early 20s). And we’d have mini kegs of beer and we’d go through a couple of those kegs easily. The gazebo was near a main road, so that on a Friday night cars would drive by are hear us shouting “I HIT with MY PLUS 2 BROAD SWORD! Rolling damage …22 hits!! That Demon is DEAD!!! …and stuff like that…”

Good times. Good times. :smiley:

We played a number of RPGs, I think we did try Traveller 3000 (I think it was called) for a while. We rolled up characters and the GM had a whole space ship sketched out --floor plans and all. But my friend Jon who GMed it didn’t stick with it.

Awesome stuff! Funny, we played quite a few RPGs, but I never played any of those you list except D&D. I regret never playing Star Wars–that sounds like fun. But I guess we (I) put our energy more toward Star Trek RPGing.

Wow, you sound just like my friend Gary. He would GM the same way—focus on story, and I’m of the same belief.

Awesome. Star Wars seems like the perfect RPG setting–like D&D in space–with swords (lightsabers) and spell users (the force).

It the 1st podcast in the dragon arc, Sean mentioned the TSR D&D Dragons, and how, in those rules, red dragons breath fire, blue dragons shoot lightening, green dragons breath chlorine gas etc etc. That all sounded familiar to me so I recently looked through my 2nd edition AD&D books and couldn’t find the description of those dragon attributes.

It seems like it’s not in this (DM guide).

Anyone know where the dragons are described? Is in the Monster Manual?

It’s in the original Monster Manual. And that’s not D&D, that’s AD&D. (Although several were introduced earlier on in D&D supplements.)

These kids with their hardcover manuals…

One time my elven ranger Rentrue teleported and crit coup de grace’d a like "Frak you"level dragon. Kinda anticlimactic.

Oh but there was a time we were in a desert arena where a necromancer was under the floor and was sending suicide vest zombies (essentially) after us so when the trap door was open I fired an arrow down there crit’d the necromancer between the eyes which set off a chain reaction of all the suicide zombos and basically blew up the arena.

Good times but damn thinking back on it DnD really, really, really, needs to do something with archer classes. Need a powershot like power attack badly

I just started playing D&D recently with some friends who have been playing for over 15 years. We’ve played 2nd edition and 4th edition and will be starting a Pathfinder game soon. I still feel like a noob, even though I have played for 2 years. Damn these guys like their crunchy rules. I enjoy the game but I am not sure I could play on my own. There seems to be a rule for every little thing and book upon book upon book to look at. One fellow who plays wizards mostly has played for over 20 years and has memorized most of the spells. It can bog things down on occasion listening to people talk about how close to such and such a web spell needs to be to anchor itself and how wide or how long it can be and bla, bla, bla. For me it is easy since I just tune that stuff out and stick to easy characters – though my secret desire is to play a Druid.

We do use this old RPG book which I think is called something like Central Casting which allows you to build a back story with bonuses depending on what is rolled.

Omra: I wouldn’t mind taking a look at your system if it is not too crunchy. I am a story teller at heart but can’t DM since the rules give me a headache.

I did GM a Fairy’s Tale game which is a RPG for kids and that was fun. I also bought Mouse Guard and the recent Doctor Who RPG but haven’t yet found anyone willing to give them a try.

I think it is buried (and do I ever mean buried) in storage somewhere along with my boxes of maps and drawings and reference books.:frowning: After about a year of playing it with the same core group, we started to go more and more with an honor system in terms of gear and gained abilities and money. And eventually I stopped using my tables and did all of the calculations in my head and everything in the end wound up boiling down to percentile rolls. The only dice anyone needed to bring to a game were their two different colored ten sided dice.

Talk about streamlining!:smiley:

And think about it, doesn’t everything in life boil down to percentiles? The Insurance companies sure think so. So every situation whether it be combat, awareness of an enemies presence, defense against an attack, casting a spell, use of telekenisis, building a gadget or repairing a damaged object came down to a percentile roll. Say I gave them a 25% chance of a strike on an enemy based upon their skill/dex/con and they rolled a 15%. Well not only did hit their opponent but but they did extra damage because they rolled 10 below what was necessary. Now if they had rolled say a 40% they would have been blocked for example, a 60% missed and lose a turn, 80% or higher lose their weapon or stumble and fall or maybe even hit one of their teammates by mistake.:eek: Make sense? It is helleva lot simpler right?

My players eventually even became GM’s using my system and would beg me to play along, of course I had no characters. So they suggested I use the NPC’s they had grown fond of, a strange request… So I went ahead and did it, what a blast!:slight_smile: It was fun being on the other end for a change.

GURPS is probably the closest thing I could liken my old system to, in the way that your character could literally be anything. Fantasy, superhero, science fiction, supernatural, cyborg, mutant, etc. The games were anything but boring… And very mobile, you could pick up and take it anywhere because you did not have stacks of books and DM screens and reams of paper. We played in libraries, restaurants, patios, parks, garages and hotel rooms at conventions.

The number one component to a successful RPG campagin is TRUST.

Remember, all you need for a good gaming session is a couple people. The dice and tables and whatnot are there to give the players some framework for their odds of success.

Most gamers would do themselves well to check out some of the games designed for kids to see just how min a game system can be.

3.5 is the only DnD worth playing

Shush, child. Adults are talking. :wink:

Yeah okay go back to thac0 and have “fun”