Dresden Files

(Doesn’t mean the series)

Well I know you don’t do books that much, do audio books count since the series has probably the best line of them ever.

But after listening to 50 odd episodes and the last one just recently I found my self not being able to take the geek pressure any more and after a few searches and noting the name hasn’t popped up I felt like I needed to suggest it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files

Feels better now

Welcome aboard, BurnYU.

You should nominate one of them for the book club.

The Dresden Files are awesome (books and series). I’d definitely be up for a book club read and an Arc.

I love the Dresden Files! I wish I had more time to re-read them!

Great series, my wife and I both read them in a marathon session and loved 'em. Can’t wait until the next one, the last real book was a hell of a ride.

The books are fantastic and just started my own rewatch of the tv series, one of the sad benefits of an early cancelled show is that it doesn’t commit you to a couple of hundred episodes:)

Love the Dresden Files! Harry is too cool. All the supporting characters are awesome. And Changes made me weep uncontrollably!

(And if you like them, might I recommend The Nightside series and The Secret Histories series by Simon R Green- similar style: fun, dark, and fantasy-laden)

The Dresden files had an intriguing concept, but sad to say it didn’t really catch my attention. Perhaps the timing of the show (back when it was on television) clashed with work.

The one thing that stuck to me in particular was a podcast interview on Gateworld podcast with Mitch Pillegi (the guy who played Deputy Skinner on the X-files. He was also the captain of a spaceship on Stargate). Apparently, Mitch outgeeked even the Gateworld interviewer when he mentioned watching this show - the Gateworld guy drew a blank. :cool:

Perhaps the main problem was the story concept - using magic in a real world environment - didn’t gel with all the other shows on telly that were so heavy into sci-fi. Just a thought. I feel that with re-tooling on the writer’ part; the show could have a cult status under the right conditions.

I discovered the books around the time the third one was originally published. At the time I was more into SF and the occasional epic fantasy and not at all into horror, so the fact they were set in Chicago was honestly the only reason I picked the book up. Found out that the books were all originally set in St Louis but the editors suggested he change it so as not to be in direct competition with the Anita Blake books. Ironic, huh?

Before Changes came out, I reread/relistened to the entire series. And just got finished listening to Dead Beat on audio and am currently listening to Changes on audio. Changes is just heartbreaking.

I actually met Jim at my local library a maybe 5 years ago (one of our librarians is a beta-reader for him) and he was just a great guy. Signed everyone’s books & had a Q&A session–all the time sitting cross legged on top of the table at the front of the room. :slight_smile:

The TV series (which I missed entirely when it was first broadcast due to my local cable service dropping the channel from their lineup for 3 years–ARGH!) is quite different in many ways from the books, but I still enjoyed it when I was able to see them on DVD. For me the best part of the series is definitely Terry Mann as Bob; his performance was just great.

I’d love an arc or a rewatch or a book club for these.

Has anyone read his Codex Alera books? I tried to read the first and just couldn’t get into it. So disappointed because I really wanted to like them. I keep retrying, knowing that sometimes the timing is just off for me with certain books, but eventually I find the right moment & get sucked in. :slight_smile:

Furies of Calderon doesn’t grab you as easily as say Storm Front but I think the series is far more complex and requires more setup but once you’ve placed the characters into the world they live in you get a huge pay off over the next 5 books.
In many ways the two series could easily be seen as coming from different authors although the last couple of Dresden books have started to feel more like Codex.

I have read somewhere that he wants to make some sort of trilogy ending like starwars, it has been a couple of years but i am wondering if this could be movie type thing. The audio books rock too! that is how I got into the Dresden files, it is the blonde vampire from Buffy that reads them. Weird, he acts English and the guy who plays Dresden is English but acts American. go fig.