Dresden Files Book 13 "Ghost Story"

Ghost Story (Dresden Files, No. 13)

Anyone else excited this is coming out next?

Yes! Very much looking forward to it. The first five chapters are supposed to post on his website in the weeks before the book release. Last time I checked - the first 3 were there.

Can’t wait! Changes had a hell of an ending, really curious what comes next.

Spoiler Warning if are new to the “Dresden Files” do not watch these,
Ghost Story picks up a major cliff hanger from the book Changes

Jim Butcher reads Ghost Story

Full Play List

//youtu.be/Hmz8DYVKbaM

Already pre-ordered my copy. Chomping at the bit awaiting it’s release.

I did my best to avoid the chapters on Jim’s site and pretty much devoured the book when it arrived from Amazon last Monday, finished it the next day at 1am (alarm set for 5.45am) as there was no way I was putting the book down:)

A bit of a slow start after Changes but really got into it about 2 thirds of the way through and got a little misty eyed a couple of times and struck dumb at least one. Now the long wait for “Cold Days”.

Just picked up my copy today - only bookstores nearby were Borders, so had to wait until I could get myself to a Barnes & Noble. Haven’t started it yet, because I decided to see a late show of Cowboys & Aliens (very good btw) instead.

Would love to discuss this with anyone who is interested, or is this not the place for spoilers about books?

Discuss away.

Whoo hoo!

So… Oh. My. Gods was this an intense book. I know the stakes have been getting higher and higher with every book but I never once stopped to think of how things would change without Harry around in Chicago. And with Harry killing the entire Red Court. I can see why Jim Butcher needed an extra three months to finish things up.

SPOILERS AHOY!

It was brilliant to have six months go by since the death. Such changes in the city! Teaming up with Marcone and the fortress at Harry’s old boarding house. Butters stepping up to help Karrin. And poor, poor Molly. My heart was breaking for everyone with almost every page. Seeing how the lives had been changed and trying to go on the best they could and also people’s reactions when they realized that the ghost was actually Harry.

Everything was so detailed, from the spirit limbo Harry first went to, to the ghosts in Chicago and how they interact with the world. Seeing Karrin’s dad was interesting and I knew when Harry went back to the real Chicago that he was going to Mort’s house. That was almost the only thing I predicted in the book though, so it was nice to be continually surprised. Loved the back story on Harry’s young days as a wizard too.

And as for who killed Harry… I was so distraught when Harry was killed at the end of Changes, but yet I couldn’t help thinking how…convenient the timing was. I didn’t know who had done it, but I was sure it was someone who didn’t want Harry to become the Winter Knight. And I was right. I just never suspected that it was Harry and Molly. Poor grasshopper. He probably did ask too much of her. Of everyone, but they kept on giving.

I was a little suspicious of his body not being available, but Mab and Demonreach keeping him going? Dude. Mind officially blown. I need to reach this again and then start my count down clock for Cold Days, whenever that arrives. I don’t know Butcher is going to do Harry as the Winter Knight without making him a monster, but I’m sure that he’ll do it brilliantly. He just keeps upping the stakes with each book.

Any other thoughts?

Have you read Side Jobs? The last short story is told from Murphy’s point of view just hours after the end of Changes.

I’d kinda forgot about Mort. I need to reread the whole series.

My first thought was, “Kincaid did it.” My second thought was , “No, that would be too easy.” Third thought, “Well killing Harry is about the only way to get him out of his deal with Mab.” Fourth thought, “Why isn’t the next book out yet?!?”

I’ve never laughed harder at a book than through the entire fight scene in Molly’s head!

Yes, I rushed out to get Side Jobs just so that I could read the story with Murphy in it. That was sad, but I had the idea of continuity and that things might be ok without Harry. I was a bit surprised just how much things had changed once we actually got to Ghost Story. I liked the rest of the stories in Side Jobs as well. It was a nice hold over until Ghost Story came out. I know there are a few more stories that are in other anthologies that couldn’t be published in Side Jobs, so if I get antsy for some new content waiting for Cold Days, I might search those out.

I just read the whole series last year, so I think Mort was a bit more on my mind.

I’m not sure if I remembered that Kincaid could have done it or not, but once Harry brought it up, I totally remember Kincaid’s quote about how he would have killed Harry. I also thought it was a bit too easy.

Yes! OMG all the Mollys with the accents. Loved it :slight_smile: Well, until they got to the part about the cabinet that is…

Yes, was another “humm thats just how Kincaid said he would do it” followed by “No, that would be to easy” the book points at him all the way through and I kept dismissing it. I deffinitly enjoyed the book but I had thought that the whole your always you and will always have a choice even if they are crappy ones had already been established before, didn’t McCoy even say it in Changes? Of course maybe thats just me and the fact that only he could chose to make himself a monster wasn’t quite as self-evident to him.