Dragon*Con 2013

Now I know most of you are thinking, but Dragon*Con 2012 just ended, why start a thread now. Well here is the issue. If you want to stay in one of the 5 con hotels you need to starting thinking about it now. The Hilton is already sold out and I am hearing rumors that the Sheraton and Westin are already taking reservations. The Hyatt (my preferred hotel) starts taking reservation on Oct 2 - and will be sold out in likely and hour or less. The Marriott, the center of the activity, opens on Oct 10, and will likely sell out in an hour or less.

So all that being said, many GWCers have expressed interest in attending in 2013. So if we all want to stay together we need to figure out how many hotel rooms we need. I traditionally arrive on Thursday and leave on Monday evening, so with 4 people to a room the hotel will run you about $200. Some of the hotels require a 1 night nonrefundable deposit, others take the deposit out in a few months ahead and at least one of the overflows did not require a deposit at all.

With memberships the sooner you buy the cheaper they are (I already purchased mine):

Membership rates are as follows (there is a significant change over previous years - you can not transfer to others):

$65 to 09/14/2012 (Group discounts do not apply)
$75 to 11/15/2011
$85 to 02/15/2012
$100 to 05/15/2012
$115 to 07/13/2012
$130 until August 17 and then again at the door 

So if you are thinking of attending, and want to stay with other GWCers please post and let everyone know here. If you have the means and can help ensure we get a couple rooms in the host hotels please try on the 2nd or the 10th and let us know if you were successful.

With so many folks going I am expecting us to plan a meet up of some kind, but that won’t be planned until much closer to the event, but will likely be Saturday or Sunday evening - and will conflict with stuff - there is just no downtime with Dragon*Con to plan something that won’t conflict with a panel or 2, unless it is from 4-9 AM.

All Memberships and other hotel details can be found here: www.dragoncon.org This is also where they will start posting the guests as they are announced.

Let the planning for Dragon*Con 2013 begin!!!

PS - I also started a FB group to aid in the planning…so if you have FB and I haven’t added you to the list (or you don’t have me as a friend there) let me know and I will add you (or DM you with my given name if you don’t know it)

Awesome Writeup!

Anyone that likes costuming should know that Dragoncon is the Superbowl convention of costuming. SDCC doesn’t even come close to the costuming that happens at DC. There’s something for everyone and unlike SDCC the convention doesn’t close at 7pm! There’s always something going on and they televise a lot of the panels and big events so you can watch in your hotel room if you just can’t get to something :slight_smile:

I am planning to go! I had so much fun in 2011 when I went. Looking forward to going back, and not being quite so overwhelmed this time. And the cosplay is so much fun- both to participate in and to watch. People love to talk about their costumes, and I saw a lot of really creative ideas.

I am planning on going as well.

Woot for return trips!

Thanks to Julie (galaxyrising/MrsJulieGWC) and Trish (EvolutionGirl) we have 3 rooms at the Marriiott - which is the center of all of the action. The rooms are from Thurs to Monday. This should give us room for 12 people total…and will be on a first come first serve basis.

So let us know if you are planning to join us. The deposit was non refundable so if we can’t fill all three rooms we will need to find other people to take over the rooms. But I think we will be able to fill the rooms.

Fun! The Marriott!!

I’m in for the Marriot! Yippie. I tried myself at the Hilton and struck out.

Okay, deposit monies! I wish I could afford to not ask but I can’t. Between Julie and I, we have paid $817.80 for deposits on 3 rooms. Assuming we get 4 people in each room, the total cost for each person will be $272.60 (that’s $235 a night plus taxes for 4 nights.) The deposit per room was $272.60. I’m asking anyone who is reserving a spot in a room to pay now 1/4th of the deposit for their room, $68.15. Sound fair?

You can paypal me at tricianason@gmail.com or message me if you want to send a check. Thanks everyone!

(also posted on the FB group)

How many people do we have planning on attending so far?

I know of 5 for sure (you, me, Dawn, Julie, Trish), and at least 3 or 4 who were pretty sure (Aset, Ami, Keir, DP).

That is off the top of my head…

Pictures from the event… most pics are of skimpily clad females, you have been warned. I have them filtered on flickr, so you have to turn off the filter to see some of the more risque stuff…

got a couple shots of GWC’ers in there… and yes, certain pictures have been removed to protect the guilty (you two know who you are)… lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/uubergeek/sets/72157635367325525/ You might have to be logged into flickr to see the pics.