Dragon books

I was reading everyone’s wonderful posts about their favorite dragon books on the podcast thread and it got me thinking that it would be cool to include some of them in this month’s book club selection. How about ‘The Hero and the Crown’ and ‘Dragonriders of Pern’ and maybe even one of the Dragonlance books? What do ya’ll think?

I would love to read some dragon books. I’ll put in The Hero and the Crown, and depending on the rest of the poll I can add some others. I’ll put the poll up later tonight, so speak now or wait until December!

I’ve got this book out from the library right now.
I got it “for my kid”. At least that’s my cover story. :o

Dragonology : reference book on dragon lore. And it was in the non-fiction section, which therefore proves that dragons are indeed real. :smiley:

Thanks to Sean, I just dug out “Hero and the Crown” and “The Blue Sword” - although I freely admit I mostly read them first for the horses and second for the dragons.

Anybody read Barbara Hambly’s “Dragonsbane?” I haven’t read it in years but it’s on my ‘best of’ shelf.

Read all the Pern books, and preferred the DragonSinger trilogy best of them all. I used to draw the little dragons - poorly. :slight_smile:

There are dragons, IIRC, in the Death Gate Cycle, though they’re not an integral part of the story.

My Dragonlance Trilogy just arrived and I am plodding through it now. My most recent novels with Dragons in it were Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood by Patrica Briggs, a very different take on Dragons (a least from my own experiance), quite enjoyed them.:slight_smile:

If anyone wants to torture themselves, I suggest Touched by Venom! (ETA: On second thought, I’m not gonna link that review. It has excerpts, and I’m not cruel.)

But seriously, Patricia Wrede’s Dealing with Dragons, Simon R. Green’s Blue Moon Rising, and Gloria Oliver’s Cross-Eyed Dragon Troubles are all good stories with dragons as good guys.

I love the Pern books. They are pretty daunting for a new comer due to the sheer volume.

Also there’s George RR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, although I wouldn’t strictly call them dragon books, they are an important part of the story. The next book is called ‘A Dance with Dragons’, so one would expect an increase in prominence (assuming it ever gets published)

Also The Inheritance Cycle, is worth a read. They aren’t the best books in the world, but they are worth reading. Granted the first book is virtually ‘A New Hope’ with the names changed.

They’re must-reads, especially the original trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon.)

Also there’s George RR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, although I wouldn’t strictly call them dragon books, they are an important part of the story. The next book is called ‘A Dance with Dragons’, so one would expect an increase in prominence (assuming it ever gets published)

I suspect they’ll be very important by the end, but yeah, they don’t even show up until several books in.

There is dragon stuff from the first book, and truth be told, the way Martin handles them, I feel like they’re more powerful and miraculous than I’ve ever read before.

Agreed on the daunting-for-volume possibility. However, there are people (Thot!) who prefer to read things that are part of a series, so that could also be a plus.

Though I did enjoy Eragon (and the sequels), I do admit that I felt the entire time like I was reading a mash-up of Dragonriders of Pern, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars :wink: trope-alicious!

Agreed. I’d also add to that the Harper Hall Trilogy (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums), but then again, those were my introduction to Pern so maybe I’m biased :stuck_out_tongue:

I just picked up His Majestys Dragon by Naomi Novik. The author adds intelligent speaking ass kicking Dragons to the Napoleonic Wars.

Oh, wow! I loved those books!

Xer01 got me into the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust, which while not STRICTLY dragon books do include a small dragon-like familiar called a jhereg and mention dragons of the more familiar type. Kinda cool, and fun stories. Vlad’s jhereg familiar, Loiosh is a bit of a smartsorryBarb, and one of the stories has passages written from the point of view of Rocza, Loiosh’s mate.

Well a “dragon book” has made it to be the book club selection for January/February 2012 - check out the thread once you’ve read Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I realize that there are some additional suggestions that were made in this thread that sound interesting - remember, if you’d like it to be an option in the next poll (which will be up mid-February), make a book or series its own thread! :slight_smile: thanks everyone!

I guess this was the original nomination thread… March 2013, The Hero and the Crown is the official book club selection! Let’s get (re)reading!

I love the Inheritance series~ still haven’t finished book 4 :oops:
Also, did anyone else want to throw a brick at the TV when they saw the movie version of Eragon???

Real dragons don’t have feathers!!!