digital Comics ?!?

thought it would be cool to get a discussion going on digital comics.

with the Ipad out and many others tablet devices coming in the next 4 to 6 months, digital comics could be hitting the mainstream. with individual comic issues; failing, but the IP being very valuable, as well as an ever growing trade paperback still going strong. i was wondering if you think this is good for the industry.

i mean getting comics out to people again on mass, like when there was a newsstand nothing but good. and not having to track down a comic store is a great thing, but there is a difference with digital, from pulp.

so what do you all think? saving the industry; nail in the coffin; something in between?

If they market aggressively they could bring in a lot more readers, but until that technology becomes cheap and ubiquitous I dont think it will have that big of an impact. Newsstands used to be on every damn corner, the internet is a different beast. Doesnt matter how ‘easy’ it is to get a comic if people arent bothering to look in the first place. I get comics every week and havent stopped into a brick and mortar in 10yrs, and I will never have to so long as I have the internet and an interest in comics. POD is the more likely growth engine for the industry as it allows independent creators to publish stories, without the marvel/dc baggage train trailing behind them, that they want to read and market to a niche audience/community.

They’ve been around a while. CBR and CBZ are the most popular formats. The iPad just gives you an experience roughly equivalent to reading a book.

well although tablets are expensive now, i have this pit in my stomach that Ipad’s and the like are going to take hold like the Ipod. suddenly a 0.99 cent comic available to everyone. will be the norm and printed comics will only be available in trade form. there are positives to this i mean we’ll get many more comics as distribution costs get cut down dramatically, but the entire collecting aspects of comics get removed, i’m just not sure on this one.

guess i’ll have to see once. i have tablet device of some kind to see the experience.

BTW any ipad owners out there care to share the comic experience on a tablet?

I guess Tom Hank’s character in BIG was ahead of his time :slight_smile:

I have been using my Nonia N810 to read digital comics for the past two years just fine. Since I commute to work, it has been great for catching up on episodes and comics. The CBR files work fine for me, and has allowed me to carry a batch of comics without the bulk.

Whether or not the comic book industry will benefit or lose out from the new paradigm of tablet media readers is entirely dependant on what each individual company does with that new reality.

The real challenge companies like Marvel and DC will face is how to monetize this new distribution method. Most web comics currently work under a ‘publish online first then in pulp’ model which is the opposite of what we’re seeing from traditional comic companies. Which is the right solution for this day and age if any?

Beyond that, we’ve moved substantially away from the days where the only revenue comic companies had were their publications and the ads therein. Large comic companies now have their fingers in many a pie making them less dependant on publishing as they are on profiting off their intellectual property by any means. Could comic eventually just become a vehicle to introduce and propagate these intellectual properties?

Then there’s the actual reader/collector to consider. To the casual reader, being able to keep a digital collection that is easy to access and doesn’t require any physical storage or upkeep is extremely attractive. However, I don’t think the traditional collector will easily part with his castle walls of boxes and poly-bagged treasures. Then again, the 90s have dealt a serious blow to the credibility of traditional collecting.

It’ll be an interesting few years while the market finds its place. Digital comics are facing an important challenge where they need to figure out how to be financially viable in a world where simply being a digital comic isn’t enough of a novelty anymore.

That being said, comics look fraking fantastic on an iPad.

I keep going back and forth on it. Digital books are great because they’re going to be cheaper and more accessible, which will keep the comics industry alive. But on the other side of the fence, I can’t help but urge people to stick with print because part of the glory of comics is in being able to share them. I wrote up a little article about it a while back when iPad first came out, and I still feel much the same way now that I did then. Check it out: http://jollyandy.com/home/?p=241

Yup, but thats a problem with DRM, not the technology.

Digital books are great. The comic book industry needs to embrace them, while helping the brick and mortar stores evolve. After getting out of collecting for a couple of decades, I tried to start back up. The only problem was that the 2 stores in the area are crap. Both only carry Marvel and DC and ordering an indie is like pulling teeth, and customer service is horrible. Digital has let me catch up and look into more of the indie seen.

DC is getting into digital comics now, here is an update-

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/06/dc_goes_digital_and_superman_becomes_a_hobo.php

I am not too crazy about the Homeless Superman thing however…