Diaspora: Shattered Armistice - Freespace 2 open source Battlestar sim

Set condition one throughout the ship. Launch Vipers.

www.diasporagame.com

I don’t know the regrettable details but about four years ago, the amateur volunteer modding team working on one of the famous eagerly anticipated mods ever, YouTube: Beyond The Red Line, suffered irreconcilable differences and decided to part ways. Apparently the remaining BtRL members lacked vital skill sets to continue work and progress on BtRL ceased after releasing a very playable and very impressive demo. Since that time years ago and up until yesterday, the other group has worked on a new mod. It is now finished.

Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (source).

Fly the MK VII Viper, the Raptor or the new MK VIIe strike variant.
Take part in furious battles against Cylon forces.
Play multiplayer missions against your friends as Colonial or Cylon forces.
Completely voice acted throughout.
Original soundtrack inspired by the show
Create your own missions and share them with the included mission editor.

Whether or not they may be interested in the game, fans of Battlestar’s music will want to check out Diaspora’s original score by French composer Philippe Rey.

Listen (stream or MP3) at Soundcloud: PhReyMusic or download the whole two discs (OGG format) worth at: [RELEASE] Shattered Armistice Official Game Soundtrack

All new music yet… eerily familiar. :slight_smile: If you should mix these tracks with Bear McCreary’s, you might have difficulty telling which is which.

Lacking a preview release, several gaming sites are scrambling to try out Diaspora alongside everyone else. Pending.

//youtu.be/DWt2m1xtJbw

Just saw this on IO9. I loved Beyond the Red Line way back, looking forward to trying this. I’ll post a review when I get around to trying it.

was trying to download the linux source… couldn’t get the torrent rolling.

Direct download Linux mirrors (1.6GB)

Shacknews: Battlestar Galactica - Diaspora: Shattered Armistice 1.0 - Linux free game
freespacemods.net: Diaspora Release 1 [Linux]

ok, i later got the torrent to go, and this is a document of the missing packages on my rather vanilla Ubuntu setup at home. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 at home.

What I had to install to get the fs2_open/autogen.sh to pass

sudo apt-get install autoconf libvorbis0a libvorbis-dev libtheora0 libtheora-dev libopenal-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev 

make took a while for fs2_open… i would probably use -j4 or something to speed it up.

To get the wxlauncher working, the packages to install are

sudo apt-get install cmake wx-common libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev mercurial markdown python-markdown

Having done the above, there should be no problem building the game following what’s in the README.txt

The game is amazing. It plays perfectly under Linux. The graphics is stunning. It’s been a while since I played fs2, and I am more than a little rusty. I remember back in the days I bought USB game pads just for the purpose of playing FS2. With mouse it’s a little hard to aim, but I am slowly getting back to form. People really should give this a try.

My biggest issue is with combat landing… so far I just auto match speed to Battlestar, and try to slam myself into the pod and then press backspace…I have horrible pitch and yaw control, so that’s the best I could do.

This summer’s experimental FS2 builds (not used in Diaspora) implement deferred lighting and real-time shadow mapping - features seen in games like Assassin’s Creed 3 and Starcraft 2 - doesn’t look even good yet but it is working.

Diaspora hopes to be episodic with scheduled future releases planned. So I’m hoping for a continuing story and a continuing evolution of biggerer, betterer graphics.

the graphics already look amazing to me. But betterer is always bettererer.

wow, can’t believe it’s actually here! congrats to the dev team, downloading now