Defiance the series

It’s good. It’s still finding its way. A little clunky. But definitely not “alien attacking us of the week” show. I don’t like it as much as some of the other posters here, but I have watched every episode the week it ran, so far. So there’s that.

There are also rivalries between certain families and clans, political intrigue among the town’s power structure. A major plot point/conspiracy which has only been hinted at twice, and has had a minor reveal yesterday. And there are beginnings of decent character moments/archs, which gives me hope. The world they have developed is a good one and I hope they let us see more of it, I have a feeling that a ‘quest’ arch will be coming up in the near future; probably a season cliffhanger…

Some rare herb or root is needed to stop a plague, Nolan and Irisa are sent out to retrieve some so that the doctor can manufacture a cure. Obstacles keep cropping up along the way as the clock keeps ticking away and bodies drop, and when they finally find what they need; the roller blows up! :eek: This will allow the reveal next season of the Dodge Challenger they have teased us with in those commercials…

Not at all…are there aliens? Yes…but they live on Earth too…its quite good…give it a try!!

I agree! It’s faintly Eureka-esque for me but I like that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For those of you who didn’t hear, SyFy announced that Defiance was renewed for a second season.

The announcement comes at a time when Defiance has aired just 4 episodes out of it’s initial 13 (I’ll count the two cout series premiere/pilot as one episode) and each episode has seen declining ratings.

Pilot - 2.73 Million

Down In the Ground Where the Dead Men Go - 2.40 Million

The Devil In the Dark - 2.29 Million

A Well Respected Man - 2.15 Million

However, reportedly the Defiance video game has seen 1 million Trion user accounts. Perhaps combined gaming-TV show experiences can save future shows from cancellation? Either way I’m glad that we’ll be seeing more Defiance on TV.

If anyone wants to tell some of us non-gamers what the game is like and what it reveals, I’m all ears.

I haven’t played the game either but I’m enjoying the show!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I’ve played about two hours of the game so far…I don’t think I’ve gotten into the hefty meat and potatoes of the game…so far it seems ok…wish I had more time…

Surprised there’s no thread for last night’s episode?? I think they rushed the whole father/daughter relationship origin…but it does lay more credence to the visions being used as a “how we got to this point” story device…I did like the peek at the rest of the world so to speak…and nice to see corrupt political types survived the end of the world too…

There is now. I was waiting for an episode summary to be posted. I will update the thread’s top post when a summary becomes available.

I’m working on this. I played the game last night for about 30 minutes to specifically get some things for a reply. Hopefully I’ll be able to gather it up tonight or tomorrow to help answer your question.

The series is going in a good direction for me… It is now hinting at the fact that other settlements exist, and that they may not all be friendly. Or that old feuds or rivalry’s exist between them. I was hoping that the series would broaden in scope and show us more of the world they have built, and it looks like they may pay out after all. :slight_smile:

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Here ya go dxf - my answer to your question for now:

I’m far from an expert, but I have played the game for a couple of weeks now and can tell you a little about it.

The game is split up into 4 parts, Storyline, Side Missions, Arkfalls, and Open Game Play.

Storyline: Honesty, I haven’t made it too far into the storyline yet. But it takes place some time (unknown exactly how much, but I get the feeling it is a matter of months of 1-3 years) before the start of the Defiance TV show. Nolan and Irisa start out with you in the game but then you get separated and start down your own path.

Side Missions: I’ve only done a couple of these and mostly it was for the experience and cash. As I spend more time in the game I’ll probably accomplish more of these. They are very similar to the main storyline but not necessary to the story experience.

Arkfalls: The quickest way to gain experience, cash, free weapons and upgrades is to take part in an Arkfall.

Arkfalls can be simple like the above picture. A central Crystal that you shoot at until it is destroyed and it is protected by nasty stuff like Hellbugs. Everyone that participates is all on one team. You gain money, experience and ammo as you play along and destroy the bad alien things.

There are also bigger Arkfalls like the one shown above. These work the same way but you need a whole lot more firepower to bring it down. But you end up with more cash and experience in the end so it’s worth it to stay alive and just be a part of it.

Open Game Play: So back when I didn’t know any better I accidentally took part in this. It is anything from player vs player challenges to open field combat. If it’s not part of a main storyline mission, Arkfall, or side mission you can take anyone on. This is not really recommended because there is always someone with a bigger gun, better ammo and more experience than you.

Now, you asked what it reveals. This is a bit tricky because I didn’t write any of it down. Mainly as you go from one part of the game to another or you load up the game from start you get these story text boxes as you see below.

So you learn stuff like the Votons actually didn’t think Earth was populated. That a small portion of the Votons who were not in suspended animation tried for decades to work with Earth’s governments to carve out a settlement for the Votons. It seemed to be working for a while but then someone - no one knowns who - blew up the Voton ships causing the terraform technology to rain down on Earth and start the uncontrolled terraforming process that effected the entire planet and everything that lived on Earth.

As I learn more in-game I’ll make sure I post it here in the Game thread. But keep in mind that the game takes place in the San Fransico Bay area while the show takes place in the old St Louis area.

~Shooter Out[/QUOTE]

~Shooter Out

Amazon.com announced today that it will be the exclusive streaming service for Defiance for the next four years.

Thanx, Shooter! I didn’t watch this week’s yet, so I hadn’t checked out the thread. But I did want to say I’m still watching; UEC = 1. (Unwatched Episode Count)

For those of you that want to catch up on Defiance, SyFy is running all 7 hours of Defiance that has aired so far this Saturday, May 25 2013 starting at 4 PM Eastern. If you have the time it is worth the look. It could be the best show SyFy has ever aired and at least the best show on the channel since the BSG finale in 2009. You don’t have to play the game just to watch the show.

If you do catch it this weekend let us know what you think!

I watched a few of the episodes in the catch-up marathon. I really like this show so far.

Heya Omra,

Aside from the Bay Area that appears in the video game, and the references to the Earth Republic capital being in NY, I noticed this map of the world on the Defiance web site. I hope they expand on Key Diego; sounds like my hive of scum and villainy :slight_smile:

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/world-of-2046/2046-map