Decorating Son's Room (3.y.o) - Artwork - Need Advice.

At the moment, I’m redecorating my son’s room (Disney theme - Red lower panels with black railing and magnolia upper walls) and I plan to put artwork on the walls. What I planned initially (and still might do) is

1. Get a projector and an image and draw directly onto the wall with the selected artwork. What I need to know is what type of paint would be good for this sort of project. I know that some of you are art fiends so I ask for your advice.

1a) I’m trying to find good image of Mickey and friends. I’ve seen a Jedi Mickey that I want to do, just trying to find associated characters as well (Darth Goofy, Princess Minnie, R2DPluto, Darth Pete)…You get the idea. Now if someone could draw me a scene incorporating that, then that would be so appreciated.

1. Because the wall is textured, painting on it might not be such a good idea. The nxt best thing is to use card, cut it out and then paste it onto the wall.

The questions then become

i) What type of card would be good, durable accepts the paint easily and is easy to cut out and paste.
ii) What paint would be good that shows up in a vibrant way and is easy for a non-artist to use (acrylic?).

It needs to be decently cheap as I plan to use a wall for each different aspect of Disney cartoons,

[ul]
[li]Big Wall 1 - Star Wars Mickey and friends’ scene[/li][li]Big Wall 2 - Jake and the Neverland Pirates plus Tinkerbelle[/li][li]Medium Wall 3 - Oso[/li][li]Medium Wall 4 - Handy Manny[/li][/ul]

If I go with card, what adhesive would be good to attach to wallpaper that doesn’t immediately rip when I want to take it off once his tastes change?
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

P.S - Now if only the wife will let me do our bedroom in Tron Colours - Can you imagine that, black walls with neon blue/white trim :slight_smile:

There are companies that will make customized wallpaper and or murals for you at a reasonable rate. The only problem I see so far is that you want Disney images, and those are copyrighted; so they may balk at the idea of printing unlicensed images you downloaded off the internet.

Here are a few examples of Disney murals that are authorized- http://www.muralsyourway.com/kids-rooms-murals/disney-boys/#

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

I wrote out a long answer and then realized this post is several weeks old. OP, have you done this yet? If so, how’d it turn out?

Not yet, the long answer is always welcomed. No, we’re still in the process of decorating the room. I got some canvas prints to trace draw so that we can place it around the room.

I look forward to your answer.

Excellent. Now let me see if I can remember my long answer.

If your wall is a pretty basic texture, you may be better off painting directly onto it than trying to adhere something to it. I have, however, been in houses where the walls were textured like a popcorn ceiling, which is just a horrible idea.

In terms of paint, I’m a big fan of acrylic but if your murals are going to be low enough for your son to touch, acrylic may not be best because it’ll scratch off fairly easily. That being the case, you might be better off getting some of the sample sizes of interior paint in several colors, mixing your own variations, and painting with that. A little of that stuff goes a long way. If your base wall color is dark, throw primer on for wall paint. If you go the acrylic route, a base coat of acrylic gesso might not be a bad idea.

Good luck, this sounds like a fun project! I’ve got a couple high-up walls in my place I am still trying to decide how to decorate. I’ve considered painting murals on the walls but I’m not wild about the idea of hanging onto a ten-foot ladder for the time it’ll take to do it.

Also, pics or it didn’t happen.

You might like this. I just decorated my son’s room with prints from an artist I found out about at last years wootstock. The prints are extremely affordable, $12.00. http://www.jameshance.com/prints.html

James Hance’s stuff is absolutely adorable! I love Super Doctor and the one with the Muppets as Firefly crew. Firefrog, maybe?