Deathly Hallows Part 2 (spoilers for film)

I put a spoiler tag on the title in case for some reason people haven’t read the books and/or don’t know how it all ends… and separated it from the earlier thread since the movie’s out, as opposed to trailers, etc.

Just got back from the midnight showing. Great energy. Very young crowd, though. Fewer cosplayers than in years past, though I saw a great Umbridge (a parent chaperoning an unruly group of 8-10 year old girls!).

I loved the movie! There were only a few things that I wish had been in it that weren’t, and they only occurred to me after the movie was over. My only concern while watching the movie was that Neville still get to kill Nagini. They even managed to improve the horrendous (imo) epilogue from the book - I’d still prefer to end the movie on the shot of the three of them holding hands on the bridge at Hogwarts, but the epilogue didn’t make me want to scream.

I’m very pleased that the NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH line made it in and was awesome. And I may have a teacher crush on Minerva McGonagall right now, for her reanimation of the statues to defend Hogwarts. Oh, and her absolute delight when she admits that “I’ve always wanted to say that!”

All in all, a great adaptation of my favorite of the HP books.

I really enjoyed it too! Dressed as Tonks and made treats (Cockroach Clusters, Treacle fudge, and Butterbeer) to share. Fun fun!

The movie itself was pretty faithful to the books, which I really appreciated. Was surprised just how much McGonagall kicked ass, and the Ron/Hermione kiss was adorable.

Did not like that they sent the Slytherin kids to the dungeons, and the melting away effect with Voldemort’s death. I would have preferred it if they let Harry kill him outright.

Enjoyed watching Longbottom grow even more of a spine, standing up to Voldemort was just awesome. And doing it Braveheart style and rallying the troops was even more OSSIM! :slight_smile:

You got a real good view of just how much of a cost there was to doing the right thing, a lot of people died and a great number of casualties were caused by the war. And you saw how Harry suffered under the burden of it, a nice touch…

And again some good acting, I really liked how the actress playing Bellatrix performed as Hermione pretending to be her, wow that was even confusing trying to write that…:smiley:

Effects are superb, the music was very effective and the kids did a great job. They really came off as tired, sore and a little overwhelmed by it all; and yet defiant and unwilling to quit. The reveals were profound and emotional, it was a good ride. Well done, I tip my hat to the fine production staff that created this; thank you for a great experience!

I’m getting ready to go see this in just under an hour! Finally. Was supposed to go Thursday night but had to work at the last minute. I’m sure I’ll be gushing all over this thread as soon as I make it home.

first of all, let me get off few thing i didn’t like… i didn’t watch the 3D version, and some parts of it I could feel was shot a certain way just for the 3D effects. And some of those feel a little awkward… that’s only a complain because I remember how beautiful every scene were framed in Deathly Hallows Part 1.

I didn’t read every Harry Potter books, but certain scenes I knew what is happening or where they should go before they do, and the way they acted and the way the camera worked felt a bit forced. Especially when Ron and Hermoine couldn’t figure out where Harry went when he disappeared from the map. I thought that’s where they trained for Dumbledore’s Army…

other than that, it was amazing. I like how they manage to explain everything about the Wand and Snapes’ sacrifice (poor snape… i knew you have always been the good guy). I thought in such a intense action filled movie, maybe they wouldn’t be able to explain it all. They did a superb job.

When Helena Bonham Carter acted as Hermione in Bellatrix’s body, I literally thought it was still Emma Watson a few times. That lady is talented.

and Emma Watson is amazing as always. So is Rupert Grint. That guy can act. |I hope he doesn’t give it up.

By the way, when Harry died, and saw the tiny dying Voldemort in his heaven, my whole theater gasped… that was a pretty scary image :stuck_out_tongue: if i was a kid, i’d have nightmares about that for years.

I think Snape stole the show. Everything about Harry learning the truth and Snape saying that line I love “You’ve raised him like a pig for slaughter.” was PERFECT. I did however not like how they changed up the final battle. It had none of the sense of danger or doom like the book did and mainly because the battle was outside away from everybody. I hated that. Harry talking down to voldermort in front of everybody is a key point in the book and to cut that out is a crime.

If I hadn’t gone because of the girlfriend I would have waited for a rental… I’m happy to see them finish it out but I think it left too much out. If you went into this film not knowing the story in the books you’d be lost.

yeah, because his character is the one with most development in this movie. The other is probably Harry for going into the forest. If they kept the part with Harry walking past Ginny under his cloak when he is going to his death, they could have shown other sides of Harry. But they didn’t so… Snape is totally awesome.

HBCarter as Hermione as Bellatrix was awesome. I’d loved HBC in the movies, but those scenes stepped it up a notch.

In the theater we saw it, the audience applauded at Bellatrix’s last scene. And at the end of the movie. I don’t see a lot of movies in prime time, but I can’t remember the last time I saw (heard) a movie audience applaud.

We saw the 2D version, but it made me want to see it in 3D.

Also, my favorite visual/effect from the first movie was the big chess pieces. And the statues in the new movie reminded me of those.

Awesome.

Omra, I couldn’t agree more regarding Neville Longbottom. Seeing his character grow over the past few movies from a set-upon introvert into a snake-slaying hero was pretty awesome. That scene got a big round of applause from me.

Ferris, Bella’s final scene got applause in my theater too. And a triumphant yell from me. Never liked her. :slight_smile:

While I’ve seen the movies from beginning to end (and all in the theater, no less!) I haven’t yet read the books, so I admit I’ve been lost a few times over the years. I don’t think I invested as much feeling into the story as a lot of the folks here on GWC, (ie I didn’t tear up, etc) but I enjoyed the ride and I thought that this last movie really did justice to the characters and the audience. Seeing the few clips of the cast from the first movies…they were little kids! Incredible that we’ve all stuck with this and finally seen it through to the end. A very satisfying wrap-up, imho. :smiley:

The ‘19 years later’ scene at the end made me laugh because I’m guessing they didn’t have to really do that much to make the stars look older.

“Daniel, Rupert, Emma, can you guys just… skip makeup today? It’s cool, Rupert, you can keep your cane today, don’t know if we’ll use it. Daniel, here’s your Sustecal, looks like you need it.”

I cringed at that at first too, and don’t remember it (or much. My memory is crap) from the book. However, the Slytherins were obviously banding together there and it wasn’t to organize a bake sale.

As someone who read the book I was afraid that the Snape memory reveals weren’t detailed enough. Nice to see that (at least for one person who didn’t read the book) I was wrong. :slight_smile:

When Helena Bonham Carter acted as Hermione in Bellatrix’s body, I literally thought it was still Emma Watson a few times. That lady is talented.

I had that SAME thought!

I had the exact opposite reaction. Seeing it in 3D made me want to see it in 2D :slight_smile:

my entire theater burst out laughing when Voldamort had his creepy laugh at Longbottom. I dunno if it is just some culture thing, i feel like that scene was supposed to feel creepy. But here in Asia, apparently it’s hilarious.

NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!

I hate Bellatrix so much. She killed my favorite character.

Excellent ending to the series. Beautifully acted. Snape is OSSIM and stole the show! Neville…just wow, he really came into his own in the 7th book and thankfully they showed it in the film. Professor McGonagal is a hoot after animating the statues.

The final battle between Voldemort and Harry bothered me a bit…with no-verbal spells you don’t get that Harry didn’t use an unforgivable. And Voldemort just crumbling away when Harry catches the Elder Wand was more than a little bit stupid. Would have been better to see Harry using a normal defensive spell and have Voldemort’s unforgivable one backfire on him.

Overall…I squeed (quietly), I teared up, I squeed a little more…I blubbered a bit and left the theater pretty satisfied.

It made sense in the way that they weren’t evacuating the underages like in the book, and the movie alluded to the fact that some Slytherins (ahem Slughorn) stood with the side of good - but it took away the opportunity to see the Slytherins as not all entirely Voldemort-y.

We had to wait a week before seeing the movie. I liked it. It was a little stunted at times, but generally it worked. HBC playing Hermione playing Bellatix was simply excellent. I also liked how Snape’s memories were done, more emotional than narrative.

I was wondering around Boston common in opening day. I saw more Hermione’s than you see slave Laia’s at Comic-Con. My favorite, however, was prof Quirrel. Black robe and a purple tubin with picture of Voldie taped to the back.

That (Quirrel) is awesome.

Just picked up the dvd the other day. I now have all 8 movies. If anyone needs any of the older movies, walmart has the first 7 on dvd for $3.96

I’ve watched the movie twice now, and read the book 3 times, but i still cry like a little girl when I see the Weasly’s sobbing over Fred’s body.