Deathly Hallows Part 1 movie (spoilers)

I just got back from seeing the movie. I thought they did a brilliant job being as faithful as possible to the book. I think it is the most faithful of all the movies so far. There are differences but they are very minor and did not detract from the story at all. There was not one point in the movie where I thought to myself, ‘I wish they had included this scene.’ Everyone is included in the movie, even Mundingus who I was surprised to see.

One thing to keep in mind is this is not a movie for the uninitiated. They do not spend any time explaining who certain characters are they just assume that you know them from the books. it may be hard for those who have only seen the movies to follow certain plot points because they do not tell you who/what/why in the movie.

I really really loved this movie. There was too many favorite parts in this movie, but I think my favorite is the Deathly Hallows scene: The animation is spectacular and haunting. It is everything I expected and more.

Don’t forget to bring kleenex, there is a scene towards the end that will make you cry like a baby.

What did everyone else think?

Theater was packed and all of the D-Box seats were sold out a half hour before movie time, it is a dark movie, even more so than HB Prince but there is just enough humor and touching character moments that it does not bring you down.

It was two and a half hours long but it did not feel like it at all, it is well paced and you always feel the main characters are in constant jeopardy. My only complaint is that Umbridge still doesn’t get what she deserves!

The political fallout from a series of deaths took the Potterverse in a direction I never saw coming :eek:, I will leave it there so as not to spoil things. And the amulet had some LOTR elements to it I liked. Good film.:slight_smile:

Defiantly the most faithful to the book including the scene in the woods with Harry and Hermione which I didnt think they would show. I was hoping they would not kill Hedwig. I liked the movie more then the book.

I loved the movie, which isn’t hard since Deathly Hallows is my favorite book of the series, but I loved it precisely because it was as I had imagined it. Like Baconface said, I wasn’t nitpicking thinking to myself, but why isn’t THIS in there, too?

(Though I did miss out on Lupin showing up at Grimmauld Place in the sense that I kept expecting him to be there at some point).

I was worried about what the camping around the countryside would translate into on screen and I really like what they’ve done with it. I really got the sense that time was passing, and that they were all over the place, but without it dragging the film’s pace. Well done, film!

I also love how hippy-ish Luna’s dad is! And the tone was spot on. I can’t believe we have to wait until July for the second half… though I’m happy how they split it (in fact, it was how I thought it could be best split).

Yes and no. I saw it with my partner and a friend; I’ve read the books more times than I can remember, my partner has read them, but our friend has not, ze has only seen the films. As we were grabbing food after the movie I asked hir if things made sense OK (since, having the book knowledge to fill in the blanks, so to speak, I didn’t feel like I could really make up my mind). Hir response was that yes, the only part that wasn’t totally clear was who Bill was at the start of the film (did we see him on screen before?).

So, I agree that it’s not for the uninitiated in the sense that if you haven’t read the books OR seen any of the movies, maybe you shouldn’t see this film yet. But if you haven’t read the books and have only seen the movies, evidently it still makes sense and is enjoyable.

Oh and I liked how Longbottom has grow some stones as the series has progressed, I smiled when he stood up to those ‘Snatchers’ on the Hogwart’s Express.

That was so well done. I especially loved the interaction between Ron and Hermione before that. Even though this film is very dark and brooding, the light moments helped balance it. Like Omra said:

I started when Hermione wiped her parent’s memories.

It does go by very quickly.

I leaned over to my wife and whispered, “My Precious.” She giggled and said, “I thot the same thing.”

I started crying when they killed Hedwig. Moments before that scene I said, “That owl is beautiful.”

I remember hearing about some controversy with the scene between Harry and Hermione being naked. Meh. Hermione shows like “Katy Perry with Elmo” cleavage. Anything to cause a buzz I guess.

I think they may have learned from LotR with that. It reminded me so much of Frodo and Sam’s journey to Mordor.

Luna is a favorite. Her dad made me giggly. I want to hang out with the Lovegood family. I’d bring my own beverage, of course.

That kid lost teh doofy.

I’m so glad to hear that, I found that the last movie was missing so much, like half (pun intended) of the half-blood prince part was missing (and played in 5 min of the movie total)

The first two movies were the most complete but after that they started to cut heavily. I realize that it’s not easy to cram it all in, but still.

I will probably try to see it today and hope I not surrounded by 8 years old like the last time. Anyway for those movies they should definitely wait till they are older.

I felt HBP dragged. It was downright boring at certain points. Sure there was plenty missing but I felt the pacing for the film was all wrong. They fixed it in this film.

We went to an early showing, aka the Senior Citizen showing. Surprisingly, there was a youngling in our audience. I was so confused. Did this parent actually read the book or see the last movie? Did he really think it was appropriate for a six-year-old holding a Mario stuffed doll?

I want to create a VR program to install in every movie house that scans the patrons and tells the ridiculous parents, “Your children are too young for this film!! No film for you!!”

When Harry set her free at first I hoped that they wouldn’t kill her off like in the book, but now I prefer her movie death to her book death. She went out protecting her companion. I was really touched by the fact that she knew which Harry was her Harry.

Oh gods, I am tearing up again.

Although I do like it, my problem with the HBP movie was that there was very little in it about the half-blood prince. I wish they had included more of Snape in that one, the payoff at the end should have been bigger.

I thought this was a wonderful adaptation of the book, and I am so glad there is going to be a second installment. I kind of wish I had re-read book 7 before seeing the movie today, because I had forgotten a lot of details. They definitely jumped right into the story, and I can see how people not familiar with the Harry Potter world could be lost.

I teared up as soon as Hermione used obliviate on her parents, and I knew the tone would be dark. My 9 year old son and I both cried when Dobby died! I really liked the way the ending played out though. Good place to stop the movie.

Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite movie adaptation, but this is now a close second. I was very disappointed in the movie version of HBP, as that is one of my more favorite books in the series.

I can’t wait until part 2! When is that coming out? June or July?

Also excited about the TRON trailer I saw today

Greatest Potter movie yet!!!

Right away they start out witha shot of Hermione’s room and I’m thinking…this is interesting…no…wait…don’t do this to meeeeee!!! That is when the 2.5 hr crying marathon began. What a great example of how this movie not only lives up to the book, but improves on it. It could have just been told later in the movie but seeing it is heartbreaking and sets the tone for the whole movie.

I was worried that they were going to spare Hedwig and got worried for a minute. No fear, Hedwig arrives to defend Harry in what I totally agree is a better end.

Shout out to the actors in the Ministry! Hillarious!!! :smiley:

Dobby is a Free House-Elf!!!

Even with the addition of Part 2 the story is fast paced but they manage to give the key scenes enough time to build the emotion and honor the characters. The other films (4,5 & 6) could have all used the extra time but thankfully we get it where it matters most…in the end. IYKWIM :stuck_out_tongue:

Back from seeing it indeed it is great.

It may be his only line but Longbottom has the best one.

It was raw and unforgiving and I liked it.

I also liked that they didn’t make Voldemort act like a wounded child like in some parts of the other movies. He was calm and composed making him look so much more dangerous.

Speaking of children I was again surrounded by them, I thought they would annoy me but they were too traumatized to speak once the movie started. The father of the boy left to me told his son “hey that was scary” and laughing a little bit, but the poor child was almost merged with his seat.

the little girl to my right got so scared with the part when they enter the house they used for the order of phoenix, she was almost crying, asking her mom when she could look again at the movie, also asking to leave a little later but her mother wisely comforted her with a “Shhhhhh”. Great parenting.

This movie was the first movie date night for the wife and I in a long time. She had gift cards that we used to pay for two IMAX tickets, personnal pizza before the movie, large soda and large popcorn and we only paid $2. Quite a deal for gift cards that were magical and just kept on giving.

We enjoyed the movie and are planning to do it again for part 2. my wife and i both got a kick out of the non-verbal interaction between Ron and Hermione. They played almost as close to a real couple as I have seen in awhile.

The only scene I think they could have added by only like a minute was the escape from Wormtail and the silver hand from the book. I wonder how they will change that now. Any thoughts on that?

I will second that request. We had a couple of kids at the showing that my wife and I just returned from. Really, if you have the money to buy the tickets for your little kids, maybe you should get a sitter.

I am so sorry to hear you have that many kid distractions. There were only about 3 or 4 kid distractions, but at least they were quick or taken out.

I really think that in our conceivable lifetimes we will see someone else take a crack at the Harry Potter saga, and in doing so will try to get more of the books into the films by either adding a good 20-30 minutes per or splitting up the longer books into two full parts.

I wonder if WB or another studio would consider doing the books as a mini series for cable? I think it would translate well, and allow for much more material to be presented to its audience, but in more readily consumable pieces. Rather than one massive chunk at a time.

I finally watched the movie last night at the theatre. My friends got these really cush IMAX seats too. Cost us almost twice as much a regular ticket, but popcorn and soda was included, so that was nice. And it was late night showing, so no kids, which was nice as well.

I agree and thought Dobby’s death would be the ending point to part one, though the knowledge didn’t make it less sad. I just had a respectful amount of wet eyes watching that part compared to bawling like a big baby when I read that part though.

The animation for the story of the 3 brothers was beautiful, though I’m not sure how seamless it fitted into the aesthetic of the movies. Reminded me of this old cartoon of the Sleepy Hollow that used silhouettes.

I actually preferred Hedwig’s death in the books over the movie precisely because it wasn’t a hero death and Hedwig kind of died for no particular reason - just an meaningless accident and collateral damage. And it’s good to have that contrast, I think. Not every death can be meaningful to the cause. Does this make sense?

I thought there was a lull in the middle of the movie (to be fair, I thought it was a little stagnant even in the books), even though those forest scenes were critical to the development of the 3 characters and thus is important to have in the movie. Not really sure how they could have edit/tinker with those scenes to make it less stagnant though, so maybe they did the best they could.

And I wish there was more Kreacher. Or maybe I’m not remember the order in the book correctly and it’ll come up later, but didn’t Harry give him something of Regulas’ for getting Mundungus, and Kreacher was so touched he totally changed his tune and was all nice towards all three of them, including Hermione? I liked that a lot, and I always disliked Sirius for having abused Kreacher for so long. He’s not such a bad elf, and I wanted them to have shown that!

But overall, a fun and interesting flick, and definitely am psyched for the last one! (especially since I need my Snape fix!) :smiley:

“Hey Losers, He’s not here…” What an awesome line. Really shows that Neville is no longer a little boy. He is unafraid and a force to be reconned with. Notice, the death eaters did not try to mess with him.

I loved this movie! What a great adaptation of the book. It hit all the right notes for me and exceeded my expectations. Although I agree with others who have said that this is a “fan” movie and would be terribly confusing for the uninitiated. But if they had not done it this way, I’m sure I wouldn’t have liked it as much.

I think they picked a great end point, and the final installment is going to be a wild romp right up until the end, woohoo!

D

Just aw it. This was the best of the lot. Well adapted, and the death of Dobby had me crying.

I am terribly late… i didn’t get a chance to see it, and now the last one is out i don’t want to skip this and watch the final chapter.

man, this was a great movie. it was great from the start, when Hermione wiped out her parents memories, to the escape from the house, an eerie vibe runs through out the movie that is hauntingly beautiful.

I agree with what everyone have already said. I think this script was amazingly written. It took the essence of the book and emphasised what would translate onto the screen. Like that Hermione wiping her parents’ memories bit, it’s not exactly like what’s in the book, but fans would never feel it’s out of place, because in the movie form, this is exactly what we should see.

Same goes for the Harry Hermione dancing scene. It’s not in the book, but it took place of the weeks where Harry and Hermione didn’t speak to one another. All the desperation, depression and despair summed up in a dance perfectly.

I don’t get why some fans got so angry with this dance, and even going as far as thinking it is an attempt for inventing some Harry and Hermione romance. If they know what that Nick Cave, O’Children song is about, they’d find that whole scene makes perfect sense.

I tend to think of that song as morning to holocaust or the russian holocaust. Even without those tones, it’s at least about adults feeling sorry they can no longer protect their children, and having to let their children face up to what they’ve started. And the children, even facing impending doom, have the audacity for making the best of it.

That is exactly what was going on at that point of the movie. All the adult wizards can’t do anything for them, and these teenagers are now doing the fighting. Even when all hope seems lost, Harry still wishes he could do something to cheer Hermoine up.

“O children”
“We’re all weeping now, weeping because
There ain’t nothing we can do to protect you”

“Hey little train! Wait for me!
I was held in chains but now I’m free
I’m hanging in there, don’t you see
In this process of elimination.”

“Hey little train! We’re all jumping on
The train that goes to the Kingdom.
We’re happy, Ma, we’re having fun
And the train ain’t even left the station”

I didn’t think it was an attempt to invent romance, but they should’ve slowed it down some.

The pacing almost made it seem like they were celebrating Ron’s departure. I read the book, so it made sense to me, but I feel like they should’ve played up on the 2 of them not speaking first. That would’ve made it feel more fitting to me.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk