DC Reboot

I agree with you Operator. I didn’t read Flashpoint, but from what I’ve heard, this whole reboot is taking place in another parallel universe, which is the perfect set up for an Ultimates style second series of books. It’s of little consequence to me, since I’ve never read much DC, so I’m jumping on the bandwagon here, but it seems like what they really should have done is paired down their existing line to just the best sellers, and then done a parallel universe series of just the big names. I applaud their effort in putting out 52 “brand new” series’ but I can’t imagine more than 30 of these will survive past 12 issues, so why not keep the best of both universes going?

As far as what Mystery Brother said about Justice League #1, that seems to be the consensus, and I partly feel the same way. As a Justice League book, it’s good, but as a #1 book it’s pretty weak. There’s very little explaination, and not even a mention of a “Justice League,” and we’re only introduced to two characters, with Superman showing up on the last page or two. I’ve been around comic books long enough to not be too bothered by this, but if they’re trying to bring in new readers, they’re going to be completely lost, especially because this didn’t just launch Justice League, but the entire DC Universe reboot.

Still, having said all that, I’m still on board. Like I said, I’ve been around comics long enough that I can fill in the blanks utilizing the internet or podcasts or whatever, and I don’t mind doing so. For me, it just adds to the fun of getting started in this brand new universe of characters that I’ve hardly explored, but that’s coming from a comic book veteran reading DC for the firs time. I think someone coming in off the street after watching the DC movies, and totally green to comic books, is going to have their head spinning in confusion from this whole launch, probably just as much as if they just wanted to start reading DC books without the relaunch happening. At least if they didn’t do this reboot, the store owners could sell them a couple TPBs to get them started. Now, they can still sell them some origin story trades, but they gotta say, “this is the Batman origin story, but it doesn’t really count towards the new books coming out because the new stuff is happening in a parallel universe, and I’ll stop talking because you’ve gone crosseyed.”

I agree about keeping both universes going, which I think will happen one day. I give it maybe a couple years before they come back and find a way to split this off into their own universe of books and get both universes sold to us. I’ve got back and forth between Marvel and DC since I got into comics; however, this DC reboot (as much as I don’t really like the idea of it) was the perfect opportunity for them to get me in with some fresh stories and what not. However, I’m just finding the continuity mixing distracting so I’m on the fence of where I’ll end up.

So, now that the first month is over, what was everyones favourite book so far?

Animal Man was so brilliant, made me instantly love a character I knew nothing about and the story already has me hooked. And I think the second issue is out this week.

Animal Man was one of the most surprising to me. It started off a little goofy buy by the time I got to the last panel it was WOWOOOOKKAyyyyyyy that’s where their going…nice.

Action Comics Ok

All Star Wastern Ok

Aquaman Fair

Batgirl Ok

Batman Good

Batman And Robin Ok

The Dark Night Good

Batwing Good

Batwoman Ok

Birds Of Prey Good

Blackhawks Good

Blue Beetle Ok

Captain Atom Good

Catwoman Good

Deadman Ok

Deathstroke Ok

Demon Knights Ok

Detective Comics Good

The Flash Good

Frankenstein Good

Nuclear Men Nope

Green Arrow Fair

Green Lantern Good

GL Corps Ok

GL New Guardians OK

Grifter Fair

Hawk and Dove Nope

I vampire Nope Nope Nope Glitter Nope

Justice League Good

JL Dark Ok

JL International Good

Legion lost Ok

Legion Of Super Heroes Ok

Men Of War Nope

Mister Terrific Nope

Nightwing Ok

OMAC Huh?

Red Hood Good

Red Lanterns Good

Resurrection Man Ok

Savage Hawkman Ok

Static Shock Nope

Stormwatch Nope

Suicide Squade Nope

Superboy Ok

Supergirl Ok

Superman Ok

Swamp Think Ok

Teen Titans Maby

Voodoo Interesting start

Wonder Woman Good

Of course these are just the first so I’m going to reserve judgement until I read more of them. It will probably take at least 3 to 5 months to make up my mind about it all.

Has anyone else noticed the strange lady in the hood and cloak with the red glow? She seems to appear in one panel of every issue. Just standing there observing in a corner or in a crowd.

I’ve noticed it in a few books, and haven’t gone back to see if it’s in every #1 I’ve been reading. Apparently this cloaked person has appeared in many other DC books going back quite a ways. There’s probably a list being put together somewhere on wikipedia or something but I’ve only heard talk and haven’t investigated myself. If this is some easter egg they’ve been setting up for years, just waiting for something to put together with it, I’ll be pretty impressed.

The cloaked lady has appeared in I think every #1. At least I’ve seen her in everyone I’ve read. Interested to see how she will come into play. My guess is something to restore the old universe

Just read Justice League 2. I really enjoyed it, mostly for the way all the characters fit into their rolls and ignored the idea that to be badass Batman has to be able to take on his superpowered team mates head on. I was so hyped for this when I saw the preview page of Batman with all his Bat stuff strewn across the floor and Superman not even flinching. Not to mention him and GL in a freakin Katamari ball.

The Flash: What can you do Batman?
Batman: I can keep us on point.

This is followed up in the next two panels where Green Lantern scolds “Barry,” for giving away his job in the crime lab, and then Barry scolds Hal for using Barry’s real name. Johns is making it very clear that Batman is the brains of the operation, dispite being a crazy guy running around in a bat suit. All the characters are getting fleshed out pretty clearly, though it’s at the cost of speed. This opening arc is one of the slower moving of the new books I find. I can’t wait for next issue where we get to see the new Wonder Woman. Things should really start to pick up once all the main characters have been brought into play.

Batman #2 was another good read this week I thought. Not the best Batman stuff ever, but I’m interested to see where it’s going. I really like the style of this series.

I’m personally pretty excited to pick apart every change DC has put together.

I read almost all of the New 52 #1’s and honestly, I disliked more than I liked, but there are about 10 books that I will continue to read.

There is a lot of chaff in there but there are some really good books;

Batman
The Dark Knight
Green Lantern
The New Guardians
Green Arrow

I may may delve into more, once they get a price cut in digital format.

Any suggestions welcome however, anything else worth looking at peeps?

From your friendly neighbourhood Munch-Man!

I’d say give Justice League International a shot. I’ve enjoyed it so far. There’s a really good dynamic happening between Booster Gold and Guy Gardner Green Lantern. I have no experience with them but everyone is saying Animal Man and Swamp Thing are two books that are worth their cover price. Since Batman #5 just amazed me, and Snyder is doing these two books as well, I’m very curious to check them out.

Been talking about these on the Comic Legends cast - some good ones are

Wonder Woman
Batman
Dark Knight
Batman and Robin
Justice League
Animal Man
Action Comics

tahts a good start

I mentioned it earlier but it’s worth saying again that I’ve gotten a big kick out of Suicide Squad. It ties in with Detective Comic’s Joker story line but I hear overall Detective Comics isn’t that great. ShMe since it’s the namesake of the company.

I got the irst swamp thing it interested me…

I am halfway through the Brightest day as well! Weighing up get flashpoint on digital as well!

All in all DC seem to be getting it together in a big way! I am interested where they are going to take this Pandora idea I keep hearing about…apparently she has pop up in a number of new 52 books and is gonna become an important figure…

Could be kinda cool…

@MunchieRulze

Demon Knights is definately worth a look as well.

In case anyone hasnt heard, the first few cancellations have happened.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=52673

I havent been reading any of the cancelled books, but anyone who this affects has my sympathy. On the plus side, im really interested in at least 3 of the new titles. Im a big Power Girl fan, so Worlds Finest is a must read, would love to know more about the Earth 2 heroes and Dial H sounds great, always love a new horror comic.

From what I’ve heard only 6 books got cancelled and they have a line up ready to replace them to keep their line at 52 books. Considering everyone was forcasting a more substantial cancellation rate at the 6 month mark I would say DC has played their hand well with this relaunch.

Dial H is getting a lot of buzz since the horror genre has been a little thin from the big two. I’ve been hearing a lot about Power Girl as well so I may start that up as well. I think my current pull list can stand a couple cuts but my weekly budget is comfortable so I have some swaps to make.

Shame about the books RIP…

Just read the first four Red Lantern books, 3 GL Corp" 4 Detective Comics and free Justice League issues,…I know it has been a hardcore nerd session today!

Found them all pretty awesome I like the way the Red Lanterns have been given a new edge!

Detective Comics are just brutal, and are excellently illustrated, some real edgy about the ink work, the Joker looks like a psyco!

The GL Corps is cool as well, I love it when you are given stories outside of Sector 2814, and truly believe if WB actually make another GL movie these books are the way in which it should take the sequel; ie out into space and introduce some more of the more exotic aliens in the GL Corp! Let’s be fair first GL movie was kinda lame…and I really wanted it to be good! Any way I digress…

As for the Justice League, pretty awesome Geoff Johns is pretty untouchable when it comes to comics, I like the way it’s started even though peeps seem to be ragging on Batman abit to much for my liking lol!

My monthly comic book bill has just increased, good job I am a mainly digital buyer!

@MunchieRulze