DC area Meet-up - Oct. 7-9, 2011

Calling all DC area GWCers: I have officially booked my flight for the weekend of October 7-9 to Washington DC. I have a cousin who is in the area for an internship and a good friend who’s been there for a few years and it’s about time I get up there. Anyway, I would love to set a meet-up time so I get to see GWCers on this trip too. So what’s everyone’s schedule? As of now, I have no plans and can work around whatever, especially if there are some people making their own trip into DC to spend some time together. Yay!

I will be there! I mean, I live there. Here. Whatever.

Let’s get a count going and I can figure out a good venue. We can, of course, have a get-together at my apartment, but there might be something good going on around town.

Armando, are you in?

Raemani, you said you’d come over, right?

Going to miss this one, unfortunately.

So do we have a plan for next weekend? Just trying to figure out when to drive to Baltimore and whether I am driving to Starbuccaneer’s or Greenbelt and take the Metro

I’m 50/50 as to whether or not I can mkae it depending on what the plan is.

Ho-kay, I have thoughts.

1. I am available from 8 to 11 p.m. on Friday and from noon on Saturday until about 5 on Sunday. Anything within that time frame works for me–I just have to make my workouts on Friday and Saturday. Other than that, I am yours, GWC. So what is availability for you guys? Julie, when are you arriving? Raemani, were you thinking of driving over on Friday or Saturday? Does anyone need/want to sleep on our couch? It’s about 22 feet long (or 7 feet, whatevs) and pretty comfy for sleeping.

2. There are zero good sci-fi movies playing at either the big theaters or the indie theater. There are, however, some cool things going on at the Museum of American History. There’s also the ever-cool Museum of Air and Space.

3. Would people prefer if we planned to get some food and hang out at a tea house (they serve beer, limited selection, and sake) or at a regular bar-type restaurant?

4. Are there any big D.C. things that you must make sure to get done while in town, Julie?

Best way to get in touch with my over the next few days will be DMs on Twitter, since I am headed to Tennessee for work until Thursday night. You all have me on your lists, but if you have inexplicably unfollowed me since… earlier tonight… I am @klucassm.

HOORAY! I AM SO EXCITED! Yes, really, CAP LOCK level of excitement, here folks. This will be my first social outing since the LSAT… actually my first social outing in about 6 weeks, since I buckled down to race to the finish line. Couldn’t ask for it to be with a nicer bunch of nerds!

Ah… just typed out a response and my computer ate it. so here it is again:

Woohoo!! This is what is getting me through this week :smiley: Can’t wait!

I am flying in around 7pm on Friday night and out at 6something on Sunday. In between there I haven’t made any official plans yet. My cousin and parents are planning to pick me up from the airport and get something to eat. I think Saturday night will be a going out on the town somewhere night. Maybe to some live music or something??

My main goal for the weekend is to hangout with all the people :smiley: if that includes going to some museum stuff, then great! I like food and drinks too. But mostly people. If anything gets set for sure, I’ll report back, but as of now, my schedule is pretty flexible.

Any particulars for LaserJake or Raemani??

I hate to say it, But I’m gonna miss this one. It turns out that my family is gonna be hitting the Maryland Ren Fest this weekend. Considering it’s the only geeky thing I can get any of them to do, I can’t exactly bail on them. I am gonna be in Alexandria, VA on Friday, but I’m not sure that helps.

Well I am up for pretty much anything. I will let the visitor decide what we do.

Have a couple options -

• Head to Baltimore after work on Friday, allowing me to be in DC as early as 10 am on Sat (well at least to the Metro station - I don’t like to drive in DC), then either back to Baltimore and head up to Philly Sun
  • Head down Sat. morning (getting me to DC around noonish), and then head back to Baltimore in the evening and head back to Philly on Sun.

So I am pretty flexible on which option, but at this point I am leaning more toward option 2.

I will likely stay at my aunts either way (not for lack of wanting to stay with you and S Starbuccaneer - has more to do with my kitty allergies then anything else - doesn’t mean I can’t hang at your house as long as I remember the allergy meds).

Let’s meet up for lunch on Saturday at 12:30. I’ll figure out a place, but it will be in the NW part of the city and fairly easy to get to by Metro (in case anyone is using Metro). We can go back to my place afterward and hang out with Samantha, who is working the opening shift and is off work by 2 or 3.

I’ll DM you guys my number (Raemani, you prob already have it). We live in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood, between the Zoo and Columbia Heights, in case that’s helpful in making plans with others.

Hooray!

Jake, sorry we’ll miss you. But have you seen the thread for the late-October DC meetup? Maybe that one will work.

I propose we go to Matchbox and meet there at 12:30. Afterward we will hang out at my apartment until y’all have to go. From my place, I can walk you to an appropriate bus stop or metro stop to get back where you need to go.

Raemani, it can be hard to find street parking near Matchbox on the weekends (or ever) but there are garages. If you don’t want to pay to park, drive from your aunt’s house to whatever suburban Metro stop is closest/easiest for you. Park in that lot (those are either free or very cheap on weekends) and take Metro into the city.

For both of you, Matchbox is very close to the Gallery Place/Chinatown station, which is an intersection of the red and green lines. You can take either to get there. You can also walk easily from Metro Center. I will be taking the red line from Dupont Circle to Gallery Place/Chinatown at 12:15, as soon as I can get showered, dressed, and made to look human again post-10:30 workout session. So if you want to meet at Dupont Circle and travel together, I can do that, too.

DM going to both of you now with my number. Please let me know that this plan works for you guys! If not, I will adjust :slight_smile:

Since i strongly dislike driving in DC anyway I am planning on taking the Metro. Closest one for me is Greenbelt, so the Green line. I can figure it out from there. I’ll text one or both of you if I get delayed.

Slight problem with the green line–it’s partially closed for maintenance this weekend :frowning:

So what you need to do is get on at Greenbelt but switch to red at Fort Totten (4 stops). That will get you to Gallery Place the same as taking the green line straight normally would, as the station is a hub for red/green/yellow.

Thanks for the heads up…although I would hope they would have signs :slight_smile:

So I am getting off at gallery place?