Dark side or Light side of the Force when working out. Your call.

Today in the gym I thought the Force while doing cardio, and how it applies to my daily workouts.

I came to the realization that George’s ‘religion’, with all it’s Campbellian and Jungian references, mirror’s the choices we all face in our day-to-day lives, but for me none more so than how I train. Frequent Fitness Club forum members know that I tend to train hard, pretty much 5-6 days a week. Today in the gym someone even commented on how “all-out” I go every day. But it’s not easy, and most days it’s a struggle to stay focused and to continue to push myself. Bear with me, the Star Wars analogy is coming.

When I’m hitting a wall or trying to psych up for another set of intervals on the cardio, or trying to struggle through the last couple reps while lifting, I look for ways to push myself. Often I reach down and pull up dark imagery: being trod upon or looked down on, people not believing in me, not believing in myself, striking back. Sometimes it’s intentionally belittling myself similar to how sergeants motivate in the army: “come on, you’re worthless, you’re a slug, don’t be a wimp”. These ‘dark’ places rely on anger, hatred, self-doubt, and fear and trust me; they get the job done. But it’s the easy way out, because truth be told the amount of oppression I’ve faced as a middle-class white male is pretty negligible and my platoon commanders in the army were pretty decent folks (the self doubt and self loathing part I find easy tho, but don’t we all if we look hard enough?).

In short, it’s easy to use anger and hatred, or even vanity to generate the short term strength you need for that final lift. I find when I do though, I can be a pretty scary guy, the person people don’t want to say Hi to at the gym, or even make eye contact with. Drawing from ‘darkness’ can linger as well, and yup, the rush from using negative imagery to feel stronger can be addictive. Sound familiar?

It’s definitely harder to use positive encouragement on yourself to make it through tough parts of a workout. Telling myself “Come on, I know you can do it!” and staying positive doesn’t come naturally for me. But it does work, and the rush is the same once you accomplish something that you though would best you. Sometimes, it’s realizing that working out is, in itself, the rewarding and fun part, and that it’s actually fun to be pushing yourself in the gym. On the occasions that I realize this, It’s actually a peaceful feeling, and the workout is in itself less stressful. I start smiling like a fool and going longer or harder than I think I otherwise would have. And it’s contagious: people around you get into it as well, and the vibe in the whole gym can perk up, and I find myself being asked for spots, or just hopping in to support other people’s lifts if they’re struggling.

So there you have it. It’s easy to wield the dark side of the Force, and yup, power can be addictive. The light side is harder to draw from, but it benefits you and those around you.

Will I still draw from the dark side while working out? Yup, 'cause I like it and it’s a release of sorts, but that doesn’t mean I’m making the right choice…

So… if anyone has a perspective on this, wants to share their thoughts, or just call me a geek, go for it.

Sorry for the tl;dr post. :slight_smile:

–Amberite
@Neilisntwitty on Twitter

won’t lie…I’m totally a ‘dark side’ person when it comes to working out, I’m a very calm and nice person in real life but we all get angry…and exercise is where I take out my frustrations

especially during strength training sessions I’m cranking the angry violent music and think to myself “FRAK YEAH YOU THE MAN!!!” one song example of what I like to listen to when lifting

I gotta say light side. I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I don’t really care to be angry or aggressive. I feel like I can get a little bit more out of my body if I’m not wasting the the energy that it takes to be angry. Most times in the gym, I visualize my arms or legs being giant hydraulic rams or robot limbs. When I’m on the bike my mind just clears and my body just does. That’s the way it is for me, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

I can’t be the only dark side one here…anyone else??? Now I feel like a freak, time to use that in my dark side motivation!!! :wink:

I tend to look forward to my walks, they are a 90 minute getaway from the world…but when I’m sore and aching (maybe a random hockey pain), I get pissed off and I use that to get me through the 5th or 6th mile when I need it…

so I’m a Grey Jedi workout I guess??:rolleyes:

I will continue on this exercise bike for another five minutes
But you said you would be done ten minutes ago
I am altering my workout…pray I dont alter it any further

Yeah, Dark Side

I couldn’t help but think of Ep 1 today. Darth Maul used anger to easily take on two jedi and slay Qui Gon. Point, dark side.

But… I tried to focus on Obi Wan’s defeat of Darth Maul today on the elliptical: calm, measured and focused.

But, still found I got stronger and went by getting angry, and then again while lifting.

Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

The little green guy was totally right.

OSSIM! Embrace the dark side everyone :slight_smile:

Luke: Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Both ways are powerful, but one eventually leads to destruction. I think the truth lies in the truth of another sci-fi series:
I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity.

I have given this a lot of thought and have determined I am light side. Nothing against those who lean dark and channel anger and aggression to accomplish their goals. When I push myself I am using the positive lever knowing personally if working out is a positive activity I will be able to sustain it longer run.

I have to say I am more light side than dark side when I work out. Working out is when I can let go of everything stressing me out. I feel lighter. It’s a positive thing and the way I push myself tends to be more on the positive side. I have noticed that if I go into a workout thinking negatively, even if I try to use it to push myself, that I don’t get as much out of it.

nice! when I was doing my long runs I would routinely ‘lie’ to myself “oh we’ll stop at…miles today” “okay I got there…time to stop?” “BWHAHAHAHA NOPE” …“YOU SON OF A!!!”

Guys, thanks for contributing to this discussion! I actually think about this a lot, not always framed as Star Wars, but more about how to get the most out of my time in the gym, and how that translates into everyday life.

Honestly, I didn’t expect too much support for the Light Side, but I guess it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I’m not a terribly spiritual person, but for the light-siders out there (or Light-curious Sith), check out the sports philosophies of Sri Chinmoy. I remember reading about his training philosophies when I was doing triathlon when I was younger. http://www.srichinmoy.org/resources/library/sports/index.html Interesting, not for me personally, but they do have a lot of traction.

Now, where did I leave my rage against the machine CDs…

:slight_smile:

Dude, You’re probably right. It’s interesting that Magneto’s power is initially unlocked only by reaching into the darkness:

“So, we unlock your gift with anger… anger and pain…”

But Xavier realizes that the emotions that Lucas would have characterized as Dark Side of the Force couldn’t get Magneto all the way. The writers of X-men first class were using the same fundamental philosophies, but whereas Lucas may have seen things as black and white in opposition, the XM:FC writers may have been more ying-and-yang, or shades of grey.

Kinda weird topic for for the fitness threads, and I’ll apologize now for the tangent :stuck_out_tongue:

no no…it goes well…I just started reading a star wars book so I’ve been in a Star Wars mood :stuck_out_tongue:

These ‘dark’ places rely on anger, hatred, self-doubt, and fear and trust me; they get the job done. But it’s the easy way out, because truth be told the amount of oppression I’ve faced as a middle-class white male is pretty negligible and my platoon commanders in the army were pretty decent folks (the self doubt and self loathing part I find easy tho, but don’t we all if we look hard enough?).

In short, it’s easy to use anger and hatred, or even vanity to generate the short term strength you need for that final lift. I find when I do though, I can be a pretty scary guy, the person people don’t want to say Hi to at the gym, or even make eye contact with. Drawing from ‘darkness’ can linger as well, and yup, the rush from using negative imagery to feel stronger can be addictive. Sound familiar?
Amberite

Even though I certainly have those feelings, I don’t think I’ve ever been able to use them to motivate me to do anything. I find negativity paralyzing. So when I’m doing cardio or lifting weights and it gets hard, I like to imagine that there’s someone there with me, encouraging me. Or to motivate myself to get off the couch and into the gym, I think about the other Wolverines that are trying to live healthy too. It’s the light side for me.