Cross platform media

Interesting thread title huh? This is going to be the topic of my first blog post. Essentially cross platform media is the removal of the exclusivity for all types of media on one platform. I.E. If you purchase something in Itunes you can watch it on your xbox or your android phone. But alas, I need your help. Specifically, I need YOUR opinions on why this Will/Will not happen, How it will be good/Bad for the industry, And even how it will affect Piracy as we no it today!

Very thought provoking topic. Cross media is something that should happen. Sadly though there are many thongs that have to change before this can happen. One license laws/rights would have to change. Copyright laws would need to be revised. As a Canadaian I already fall pray to some stupid rules. Netflix has less than half as the US counterpart. The reason we have less cross media is obvious. Money!! Especially with the way media is now consumed. The laws of bunny ears and AM radio no longer apply and need to be updated. There are a few ways to divert some cross media. Of course you can get a file converter. Which would create lots of duplicate files. There isn’t one universal file that all devices can play. For the PS3 you can use windows 7 with windows media player, or a separate media server program to stream things over wifi to the counsel. I have done this a bit and not sure of all the file types it can stream properly. As for the Wii there is a program called Orbcast that acts as an online media server to your computer and the Wii. I tried this program and didn’t like it. Sure it would be great for more cross media but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Netflix is not the only cross-media platform widely available today. Although it is the most prevalent media provider/streamer in not only my house but my extended family as well, Shooter Jr and I are also enjoying NHL Gamecenter for the first time. Unlike Center Ice, Gamecenter is not exclusive only to your cable/satellite box and TV. Rather, Gamecenter does an end around and provides live out-of-market games and many many extras through Xbox, PS3, Android, iOS, PC, Roku, 3G, 4G (We actually have all of the above in our home). Unfortunately it is not all-inclusive as I’m finding out there are games subject to blackout in my area (maybe based on IP address?). But I can watch any blacked-out game 48 hours later as well as see a comprehensive highlight game clip immediately after the game. We’ve also used Amazon streaming services as well as bought music from iTunes and Amazon.

I know the GWC Crue spoke about this topic a while back. I remember Chuck saying that in his opinion the access provider (DSL, Broadband Cable, etc) would most likely be separate from the content provider. The successful businesses of Netflix, Amazon, and NHL Gamecenter have proven this so far. Heck, Amazon will even sell you a 3G Kindle to enable access to content free of charge (i.e. without a 3G wireless contract). HBO GO has also seen limited success in content distribution as well.

The key to any successful streaming/download content business is access. If you are able to diversify the access points like Netflix, Amazon and NHL Gamecenter have done it far outstrips the limited content availability through your cable or satellite DVR technology. On the other hand, there are the great content providers we have enjoyed over the years that will not successfully make this leap. For instance, ultimately the iTunes exclusivity to Apple software-enabled devices will be it’s downfall if they do not change that accessibility to multiple access platforms. The non-availability of iTunes on Android is a major issue as well as accessing that same content through other platforms like Xbox or PS3. Which will such for me and my family since we have invested so much into iTunes since 2006 (when we bought out first iPods). Oh well, I guess we’ll just have to buy the White album again…

I might have more to say on this subject later but I headed to bed for now.

~Shooter Out

PS - I’d love to vote on the poll, but we actually consume media through multiple platforms. If I had to vote I’d choose an “All Of The Above” plus Roku and Time Warner Cable.

Computer, itunes/ipod, Roku, cable. And eventually on a tablet…

my wife have a college discount on Amazon Prime and I have a Kindle Fire. So I watched movies and shows on the kindle and my computer. What I need Amazon to do is support my blu-ray player so that I can watch on my TV.

I left out the Smart TV/Blu-ray streaming capability. Possibly because they are static in their capabilities unlike a Roku, PS3, Xbox, iOS, Android or PC. If there is a new service I’d like to stream such as NHL Gamecenter I wouldn’t be able to add that. In fact that’s the main reason I chose a PS3 over a normal Blu-ray player when I added a new HDTV over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, let’s not forget the big Roku - Time Warner deal that was announced this year at CES. It sounds to me like the deal will work much the way HBO GO works - you have to already have a cable subscription with Time Warner to receive the 300 channels through your Roku device. However, this is the first major deal that I know of between a traditional video service provider (i.e. cable, satellite & I’ll even throw in U-verse) and a non-privder owned distribution pathway. This will likely clear the way for all other video service providers to do the same and open up an entirely new era in video, audio and other entertainment services. Dramatic? Maybe. Probable? Definitely. Game Changer? Absolutely.

~Shooter

Let me start off by stating my gratitude for the responses so far. This community is has a phenomenal response rate. As for the topic, I disagree with Temoeral on it not happening anytime soon. The nature of the industry prohibits it. As it is, if a user chooses to change from, say android to Iphone all of the digital media purchased by consumers would cease to be accessible, if not severely limited. Should the industry move to a cross platform solution, many things would change. Chief among them would be customer support and innovation. If you remove the copious amounts of media purchased on any given platform, then all that remains are the quality of the device, and the service and support that go with it. This will lead to manufacturers continuously Innovating new devices at an increased rate. For example, if you had to choose, with media removed from the table, between a Galaxy 3 and an Iphone 5, which would, you choose? Think of getting a windows phone 8 and installing ITunes! Or, getting an Iphone and porting all of your Google play media! The possibilities are endless. As for service, the provider with the greatest selection, and best service would make the most money.

Shooter was partly right, Netflix is cross platform. There is also Hulu plus, Crackle, ect. Unfortunately, while it is a step in the right direction, these are streaming services, and as a service, once you stop paying them you stop using them. The only true cross platform solution is Ultraviolet. But this is only sparsely supported, and only works if you have been connected to the internet since you last rebooted the device (for authentication).

In order for this to happen 1 or more of ___ things need to happen:

1. A set of standardized set of DRM and Media formats needs to be created for both Audio and Video Content.

2. App / Applications need to be developed for all platforms from all providers

OR

1. All of the providers need to provide a way to sync their competitor’s media libraries into their systems. (I.e. sync your ITunes account to your Xbox)

2. Copyright / Piracy laws would need to be redefined

The industry has nothing to do but benefit from this. If they make digital media more accessible, then more people will buy it. It’s just a matter of providing better service and a superior device.

-Sinder

Voted iTunes because I use that a lot, but I use Hulu (free version) and HBO GO just as much.

agree NHL Gamecenter through our Roku to the “Big Ass TV” is AWESOME!

We “cut the cable” almost 3 years ago and haven’t looked back. Comcast wanted nearly $110 a month for television ( for MF’ing television) So we disconnected and upped our home bandwidth. Roku initially ( now our new Big Ass Visio TV has many of the Roku Channels … Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, Pandora etc … build in the TV chassis.

Anything that is “bleeding edge new” ( Homeland, Sherlock, Game of Thrones, Archer etc.) we can either buy from Amazon Instant ( if we just can’t wait) … wait the 3 to 6 month time shift for “DVD/Blu” purchase … or really time shift ( some times 12 months) for Netflix to finally gather it up.

Still … coinage going out of house is less … and entertainment is still high (which is nice).

OB

Of course 80% of what we really watch is Netflix childrens programming ( Backyardigans, Angelina, Curious George, Dragon Tales etc. etc. etc)

Moved the thread to Hive-Mind so it won’t get lost in the Off-Topic forum…and cause it fits there. :wink:

I voted iTunes…but I use Netflix as much or more for digital media.

Another long-time cord cutter here. I dropped it in the fall of 2008 and don’t miss it at all. I have a Netflix account, but have never paid for anything streaming from Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, or Google. I do watch free Hulu sometimes as well.

Recently, I got a Western Digital TV Live box (kinda like a Roku, but it will stream off the local network) and it is so inferior to the PC I bought 4 years ago (used for $200) that I’m returning it. YouTube and Hulu are crippled (YouTube has no choice of quality, and their choice is horrible. Hulu has no free option and if I wanted to pay for commercials I’d still have cable). and Netflix has visibly worse picture quality.

So, I’m returning the WDTV and am putting the money into a quieter fan for the PC.

Fantastic Set of replys so far guys! What do you think the benefits for the industry would be, that is, What would have to prompt a convergence of this magnitude?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Blog posted!

Where?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://wegotanerdontheinside.blogspot.com/