Continuum Episode 2.12 Second Last **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

From worse to catastrophic; Travis gets his hands on Elena’s CPS suit, as Alec and Emily battle to escape the mysterious Freelancers. Kiera is forced to go on the run from the law when Gardiner’s body is finally found…and CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) declares her a Liber8 terrorist.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ twenty-second overall and second season twelfth episode Second Last. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

The “flashback” to 2077 in this episode had multiple angles and was perhaps the most brilliantly done in the series so far. Although only shown at the start of the episode - perhaps the new format since a heavy dose of back story is getting less and less required - the flashback dealt with background for how the time travel was enabled to begin with, the fact that the freelancers come from a more advanced technological time farther down the time stream, that there was someone active working this timeline even prior to the time travel event at the prison, and re-engaged with the whole LaRoche-SadTech AntiMatter Energy theme from season 1. That’s quite a combination for a short 2 1/2 minute scene.

At least Cameron is finally looking into Gardiner’s disappearing with more concern. Too bad it ends up with her being blamed for his death.

Alec’s explanation is that with the time travel matrix he can create a moment in time. But is it the same moment in time? Matthew’s grandmother was killed before she has any kids and Kellog is still alive in 2013. Maybe the device creates an alternative universe for that moment in time? I suspect it’s going to be a looooong time before we can start piecing together the puzzle of how this time travel device really works.

Kiera is clearly being set up for the murder of Gardiner. The unprotected flash drive just made it waaaaaay too easy for the VPD to discover the evidence. I’m assuming it’s Fischer, Miller and Warren that is at the center of it but are they reporting to anyone themselves?

Kiera wants to return so badly to 2077 but Alec brings up an amazingly true point - that if she leaves there is no one left in 2013 to stop everyone else from trying to change history. Like it or not, Kiera’s in it for the long haul. Also, when’s the last time we’ve seen Sam or Greg in the show? Again, it might be because that sort of back story is no longer necessary but it might also be because Kiera is growing more and more okay with the idea of never seeing her family again as it exists in 2077. Sam is the only real reason she needs to return. Kiera’s sister is dead and Greg is an ass of biblical proportions.

Matthew finds out about Emily’s real identity. I’m not sure how, but he did. Mia Heartwell. She sounds like a fun party girl - if you like the type that are surrounded by the pall of a former boyfriend’s mysterious death.

Carlos is a good cop. He’s GOT to start suspecting Betty of playing for the other side now. Especially after her comments when she opened up Gardiner’s CSIS flash drive to take a look at what was on it.

It seems all but certain that Jason is Alec’s father. I would have put money that it was Escher instead. I guess I was wrong. But the show made a point of Emily stating that the test results could be falsified so perhaps I’m still right.

It’s kind of disappointing that as badass as Emily’s been portrayed that Travis is able to take her without much of a fight at all. Very disappointing actually. That wasn’t played out too well but perhaps the show was saving some kickass moments for the big post-Jason’s pad fight and chase.

It’s VERY scary that Travis now has a Protector suit. And Travis mentions that letting Emily/Mia and Alec live is a deal that he already made. With Kellog? Or someone else? Plus Travis’ use of the suit’s capabilities is very skillful.

WHAT is with all those chairs hanging from the ceiling in Jason’s apartment and it was great to see his time travel device fabrication again. I have a hunch that it is more functional than Kiera was led to believe it was at the end of season 1.

Jason and Alec’s conversation was very interesting. Jason never states that he is Alec’s father. He says that “we both had to go.” Was Escher the other one that had to go or was it meant as Alec and Jason that had to go? Also, some things needs to be kept a secret.

The Jason apartment/roof gunfight was the most intense and suspenseful action of the entire show. The time travel matrix. Emily’s death. Highly trained operatives all around. high tech weaponry. What did this scene NOT have?

I’m a little shocked that Kiera left the time travel matrix in the canister in the lab. I suspect she thinks it is safe but with the camera shown at the end of the episode int he lab I’m confident that Escher knows exactly where it is.

Overall this is not my favorite episode but it was a brilliant penultimate episode setting up the season 2 finale. No one will ever be able to tell me that this show is not intriguing and captivating.

Missing from this episode:

• Julian
  • The Search for Elena’s body
  • Seeing Curtis and his channel into Lucas.
  • Travis’ concern of Garza
  • What is Mayor Jim Martin doing?
  • Where is Alec’s Mom Ann?