Continuum Episode 2.09 Seconds **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Alec’s mother is gunned down by a bullet meant for Julian, while Dillon’s new Liber8 task force is tested when Kiera must decide how far she’ll go to prevent Julian’s future.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ nineteenth overall and second season ninth episode Seconds. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

The conflict between sides and between characters really amped up in this episode. There were no appearances by Kellog, Escher or Jason in this episode but Escher is referred to and helps re-invent the Gang task force. Dillon is re-instated and Nora is re-assigned. This episode continues to have me impressed by the series. I’ll say it again, this is one of the BEST shows on TV right now.

The episode is bookended by a “flashback” to 2035. In perhaps the creepiest and bleakest view of the future a women - who looks as though she is in a futuristic WWII style interment camp - is sentenced for defaulting on her debt for the third time and has an early CMR chip implanted in her, maker her no longer human but simply a production robot in the factory. At the end of the episode we see a fully transformed Julian destroying the factory and killing all the inhuman robot-like workers. That day he orders the death of tens of thousands all over the continent. But he is just ending their suffering as nothing further can be done for them. In the ultimate irony the factory that Julian assaults is a SadTech factory - presumably owned by his brother.

Based on this episode it is clear there is no good side and no bad side anymore. Julian’s…Theseus’…methods might not be just but his ends are. When you come down to it this episode is the one that creates Theseus. And Kiera is the main one responsible for transforming Julian. Would Julian have transformed on his own? Perhaps. But it’s a moot point now. Also, deception is in Julian’s nature. Did you catch how he mistakenly told Alec that he was spying on Ann and then changed the subject to something that was heavily emotional to Alec to cover it up? He is very skilled at persuasion.

The Transformation process invites about a zillion other questions. Was Lucas really talking to Kagame? If so, what version of Kagame and from what timeframe? Julian thinks Alec betrayed him. Alec knows Kiera betrayed him. How is that going to effect things as we move forward.

And all the time Betty is riding a fine line between supporting Liber8 and maintaining her spy position inside the VPD task force. She did text when Julian’s position was identified.

Carlos now knows about Escher.

Rebecca is the face of Theseus’ followers.

Julian has Alec’s phone.

I’m in need of a little clarity now. Things are a bit messy. Hopefully it will start to clean up soon but I’m loving all the moving parts.

So, no investigation into Gardiner’s murder? What do you think Dillon’s going to say to Kiera, Martinez and Rosincki after he finds out what happened in the cabin? And what the heck is going on between Sonya and Travis?

Time to watch the next episode!