Continuum Episode 2.07 Second Degree **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

In 2077, he will be called Theseus, the spiritual father of Liber8. In the present, he’s teenager Julian Randol, and his trial as an accessory in the City Plaza bombing begins. Kiera and Carlos discover a juror has been compromised and must race to protect his family from a Liber8 plot. Alec is torn between telling the truth at his brother’s trial or protecting his mother.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ seventeenth overall and second season seventh episode Second Degree. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

A MUCH better episode than the last one. We get Liber8 back, we continue the Theseus plot, Carlos adjusts fantastically to knowing Kiera’s secrets, Alec is back in hardware mode, Kiera and Alec uses some serious tech to find the juror’s kidnapped family, we find out that not only is Emily a plant but SHE IS A BADASS, and Gardiner is now working together with Kiera. What a fantastic rebound from last week.

The dueling 2077 “flashback” to 2013 Theseus prison/sentences sequences are amazing duplicities. Kudos to the production team for pulling it together this way. At least there is an excuse for Liber8’s and Julian’s absences the past few episodes. Travis and Sonya had been completely devoted to ensuring Julian’s trail went his way.

The episode brings us back to Elena’s grave. I looooove the continuity in this show.

For the first time we learn that Kiera’s built-in tech is more than just the CMR (Cellular Memory Review) chip. She calls it a Multi-spectrum Nano Sensor Array. Then later in the episode did you see the tech rush that Kiera displayed when hooked up to the computing power of the time travel fragment? Like a true drug addict. And Kiera also names her suit’s tech as CPS standard issue Sadtech Mark IV Polymeric Nano-composite Bodyarmor With Integrated Electromagnetic Offensive and Defensive Systems, Police Model.

Whoever this Agent Warren is from Section Six knows enough to be able to work the system. Is Warren an agent for Liber8, Piron/Escher or someone else?

Oh, and welcome back Jim Martin, now FIRMLY in bed with Liber8 as evidenced by the post-trail limo ride conversation with Sonya.

Gardiner’s instinct is to check up on the bodies of Elena and the Liber8 bodies in the morgue. I thought his jump to that conclusion with Elena was interesting. Again, WHAT DID ELENA TELL HIM? But he is a good investigator and finds the mystery Section Six agent. I like the fact that he is preparing to work with Kiera. It’s about time this has happened.

We see Sonya and Travis in this episode. They still aren’t working together. Travis made that clear when he cornered Jim Martin in the parking garage and told Jim to run every move past him after consulting with Sonya. At the very least they are both working to help Theseus. I wonder why that kid is so important to them?

Alec’s Mom, Ann, lying on the stand is a true betrayal in every sense of the word. It’s very interesting that she did so. Julian isn’t even her biological son. Her argument was that families don’t turn their backs on each other but now she has placed Alec in an impossible position. For what it’s worth I’m proud that Alec told the truth when it was his turn on the stand. A small point of contention: usually in trials potential witnesses are not allowed in the courtroom during the testimony of other witnesses. It makes for great TV but the whole scenario just isn’t very realistic.

Travis manipulating the activist Rebecca was fascinating and dangerous. Their message is very alluring but their methods are extreme and violent. It is amazing that so many people are drawn to Liber8 like Rebecca and Julian. People like Escher and Sadler really don’t understand the full impact of their corporate choices and greed. Hopefully the future that Sadler and Cameron are working towards will be a better mix of the two viewpoints.

Emily and Alec are finally confirmed as hooking up. And I’m shocked her see-through ass-kicking outfit was approved for TV. Although it was only for a brief second as Emily was coming down the stairs you could definitely see everything. Also interesting was the fact that the intruder had tech from the future. It looked like Cameron’s multi-functional tool. But if it didn’t come from Escher/Piron, WHERE did it come from?

Julian will be coming out of prison soon. And Gardiner now working with Kiera. And who knows what Kellog is up to. The next episode will be sporty for sure.

~Shooter Out