Continuum Episode 2.06 Second Truths **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

A serial killer is stalking Vancouver’s streets, whose records were analyzed by Kiera in the future. Kiera needs to put all her future smarts in play to stop the killing while trying to keep Carlos at bay about those insights. The storyline concludes with Carlos finally learning the truth about Kiera’s origins.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ sixteenth overall and second season sixth episode Second Truths. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

I watched this episode for the first time last night. It was a difficult episode to watch. For one thing it didn’t have the normal feel of a Continuum episode - it was excessively dark. Perhaps because the VPD was hunting a serial killer that Kiera was brought in to help solve cold-case style in 2077 because she had a higher-than-usual deductive reasoning capability in the CPS. But Kiera was acting CRAY-CRAY over this case and it didn’t feel like the Agent Cameron that we’ve used to over a season and a half. For another thing Matthew Kellog was acting almost sinister. Instead of the buddy-buddy act he had put on with Kiera and Alec so far all of the sudden he was a shady and forceful businessman that drove Alec’s new girlfriend, Emily, out of the Lab/Torchwood/Batcave. These two arcs overshadowed everything else in the episode to me and I couldn’t appreciate the other massive bones that were thrown our way.

In the wow-that-happened-but-I-almost-didn’t-care-about-it department for this episode:
-Kiera meets Mr Escher face-to-face through Dillon (WOW!)
-Kiera TELLS CARLOS EVERYTHING (WOW!)

The Escher thing has oh-so-many possibilities. All we were given in this episode was a meet-and-great with Escher but it was one of the things that set the stage for Kiera to tell Carlos that she was a Time Traveler. We also find out that Escher took care of Dillon and has his own extreme agenda. The reference at the end of the episode when Matthew attempts to buy the future tech from the venturist definitely puts things into perspective, doesn’t it? I look forward to more meetings with Escher.

So Kiera almost dies. Plus Escher put her in a mind frame that she was alone. Plus she was acting crazy over solving this case. Plus she is worried that she has put things in motion to totally change the future to the point where neither she nor her family exists in the future. So she tells Carlos that she is a Time Traveler. Which on one hand is about time because Carlos was too good to keep from questioning her any longer and on the other hand sends this whole series to a completely new level. Make no mistake about it, this was a BIG DEAL in Continuum but the way the episode was set up I almost didn’t care about it.

Watching Nora is interesting. It’s like she is still sitting back and observing. But observing for who? Herself? Liber8? The VPD? I still don’t have any sort of read on her.

Watching Betty now that we know she is aligned with Liber8 is also interesting. You KNOW at some point in time that she is going to cause something major to happen, but you just don’t know when that’s going to be. Also, for the second week in a row we didn’t see any main Liber8 members. You know that they are active and it is scarey to think of what they could be putting together with all this extra time away from active VPD scrutiny.

I missed Gardiner in this episode too. Unless I’m forgetting that he was in one of the VPD scenes as they were trying to figure out what was going on with the serial killer I didn’t see him at all. I still think he’s a good guy but you never know what he’s up to.

And talking about missing people, I’m missing Julian too. What is that boy up to in prison?

Finally, the Emily-Alec thing is definitely multi-faceted. I can’t believe he let her into the Lab/Torchwood/Batcave. I further can’t believe that he didn’t just stand up to Matthew about having her in there. This is definitely not going to stop here and will be a major plot line.

All-in-all this was far from my favorite episode. I wouldn’t show it to people as a teaser episode for the whole series. But in true Continuum fashion it still drove the main plots along. There isn’t a stand-alone episode in the bunch. Hopefully the next one will be much better.

~Shooter Out

To be honest, I felt it was about time. I was surprised it hadn’t happened sooner. Nah. I wasn’t surprised. I was hoping they would get it out of the way. Their relationship needed to move to an honest space. So many shows drag those things on and on and on. For example, the whole Scully and Mulder love thing. Seriously, seven seasons of innuendo. Ugh! But different times, different measures.

When will everyone catch up on watching so we can discuss the season finale???

I was glad to finally see Kiera come clean with Carlos, it was long overdue in my opinion. I think this episode really sets up the eternal question Kiera will be grappling with- Is she willing to clean up the past at the possible cost of the future? Could her interventions on the behalf of the greater good set in motion a future in which her son is never born?

So I watched it a second time to make sure it was indeed that bad and that I didn’t miss anything. While I didn’t think it was completely terrible during the 2nd watch I still thought it wasn’t Continuum’s best work.

I have no idea if Todd Sanchez or if Microbial Reversal Electrolysis will be important for the future or not, but if it does come back around I’ll at least have noted it here.

Alec’s “relationship” with Emily is a little more interesting than I remembered earlier today. For one thing Alec admits that he isn’t open - Duh! For another thing Emily is a plant from somewhere else. Escher? Liber8? My guess is that Matthew, if he isn’t too distracted by Escher’s business practice of undermining him, will put a little investigatory work into it and find out what Emily’s real story is.

So Kiera was so hell bent on stopping these murders even though they were killing child molesters. Now there are 29 other child molesters or complicit child molesters out there on the street. PLUS there is still the copycat killer in the 2070s that was shown at the beginning of the episode. Kiera is definitely changing the future, but is it really for the best?

Carlos’ initial reaction to Kiera telling him that she is a Time Traveler is worth noting. He reacts very sanely to such an insane notion, but then pulls his Sherlock Holmes quote out and decides to go with it. I don’t think I’ve given Carlos enough credit to date. I don;t know if just this one episode will absolve him of letting it go this long or not but at least it goes a little way into redeeming himself.

Those are the highlights I missed.

~Shooter Out

I’ll have to agree about the length of time. But I wish they would not have made Carlos such a dupe the entire time so far.

I’m getting there as soon as I can. I’ve actually started dropping other things so I can spend some time each day on Continuum.

Definitely on the future-ramifications. Like I pointed out in a post above, she now has 29 child molesters out on the street that the killers will not take care of. What happens to them AND their victims? Stuff has been changed from the original timeline already. Remember Matthew’s alleged grandmother last season? I’m interested to see how the future will reflect these changes when/if Kiera ever returns to 2077.

~Shooter Out