Continuum Episode 2.03 Second Thoughts **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Liber8’s internal power struggle takes a mega-violent turn as Sonya and Travis recruit gangs as their weapons. Kiera investigates a new (to 2013) street drug that she recognizes from the future. The drug, called “flash” in 2013, is administered by eye drops and allows the user to remember vividly events from the past. Alec is part of a group in a car in which the driver had taken the drug. It crashes and Alec ends up with an arm in a sling. He was also given a plastic ampule of the drug but had not taken it. Kiera learns that Sonya is paying the gang she had recruited to kill Travis with flash. Kiera and Carlos track one of the gang members to the lab where it is being produced and a gunfight ensues in which many of the gang members present are killed. Sonya is there and targets Keira, but neither is successful in their attempts to kill the other. Travis calls members of various gangs together for a meeting and presents them with the heads of their former leaders. He unites them to fight together. Kiera is also meeting with Jason, the other time traveler she met in “Endtimes” (the final episode of Season 1), who tells her that there are other time travelers present and that they are trying to kill him. Alec, desperate to remember something that his late father told him, takes flash, and sees his mother with his father, and when he turns around, Alec recognizes him as Jason.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ thirteenth overall and second season third episode Second Thoughts. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

This episode opened up a lot of questions concerning “Jason” (the other timetravler/homeless guy) after Alec’s flashback… very interested to see where it’s headed. since Canada is already a number of episodes ahead of syfy, i might have to watch some canadian tv a bit to find out! lol

There was something different about this episode. Despite very large reveals and main story lines continuing forward it lacked the total cohesion I’m used to seeing in this show. Where was Jim Martin in all of this Gang violence? Where was Gardiner? In the future where does Kiera’s husband Greg fit into everything? What did Keira’s sister Hannah have to do with this big picture? Very through-away writing is all Hannah was to Continuum was this episode.

For being the future of Liber8 Julian is running around like a scared rat in prison. He reminds me of Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter - like a bully. But he does have his wits about him when he speaks to his step-mom. And, interestingly enough, Kagame’s attack was directed squarely at exposing the Corporations keeping disease cures from the public in order to sell more medicine to treat the symptoms. Liber8 might not necessarily be all that bad in thier motives, but their means are definitely not agreeable to say the least.

Ok, the big reveal - Jason is Alec’s Dad. Or is he? Nadia did mention that she didn’t think Alec could trust the drug and that perhaps all Alec will see is what he hopes will be true. Is that a back door the writers used just in case this doesn’t pan out? Perhaps. I tend to think that Jason really is Alec’s Dad but we’ll see how this one goes. If Jason is Alec’s Dad I’d be interested to see the rest of Alec’s father’s tech that Alec placed in storage.

So I take it we’ll get to see some more of these “Freelancers” first hand in the coming episodes. It will be interesting to see how they, and separately Mr. Escher, fit into the timeline without screwing up Kiera’s future. Also, my guess is that we will see Kiera look out for additional chances to get back home.

All this information puts into question exactly what Jason was doing with Kiera at the end of season 1. I have have unanswered questions about all of that.

So Liber8 has fractured and Travis uniquely controls organized crime while Sonya has stated that she is completely going to shift tactics. I can see possibilities of different factions from within the show shifting allegiances as this thing progresses.

Lastly there is Alec. He continues to keep secrets from Kiera. He hasn’t officially penned a deal with Matthew. And there is that cute girl at the end of the episode - I’m guessing we’ll be seeing her more in the future.

Hopefully the next episode will return to the complete tightness we’ve enjoyed in the series so far.