Continuum Episode 2.02 Split Second **** SPOILERS ****

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Travis survived his shooting by Sonja at the end of Season 1 and was jailed in the same prison as Julian. A group of skinheads try to intimidate Julian and Travis defends him. As a result, he is to be transferred to a different location. This is a part of a plan by Sonja to kill him. The Vancouver PD is worried about an attempt to free Travis during the transfer, so a decoy convoy is sent out, with Keira and Fonegra travelling with Travis in the real paddy-wagon. Both the decoy and the real prisoner transfer vehicle are attacked, by remotely detonated bomb and remotely controlled machine gun in the case of the decoy. While Keira is trying to drive the wagon after the driver is shot by a pursuing vehicle, Travis breaks free of his restraints and fights with Fonegra in the back. After shaking off an attack by men in a car, they are chased by a helicopter and take refuge in a road tunnel. The helicopter lands in front of them and the car approaches from behind. The men in the helicopter fire a rocket-propelled grenade at the car, killing its occupants and then proceed to attack Keira and Carlos with automatic rifles. After running out of ammunition, Keira uses her suit to provide a force-field to protect her and Carlos as they flee. Travis is freed and Garza turns out to be part of the helicopter team. Meanwhile, Kellogg approaches Alec with a proposed partnership, which Alec at first refuses because he is worried that it would lead to helping create the future that his future self asked him to avoid. In the end, he reconsiders after being told by a customer to clean up the customer’s child’s spilled slushie. Gardiner thinks Keira is the mole feeding Liber8 information from the police department and confronts her. Keira suggests to Carlos that Gardiner might be the mole.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ twelfth overall and second season second episode Split Second. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

These Continuum episodes continually get better each time. The stories and the writing are some of the best I’ve seen and the acting has been done very well overall. I’m impressed.

The theme of bracketing the episode at the start and end with “flashbacks” to the 2070s continues with Split Second. In this episode we see Travis as a developing Enhanced Soldier for a Satech project run by Sonya. He has an early version of Kiera’s CMR and he is a badass. Sonya is told to terminate Travis and the Enhanced Soldier project because it’s too expensive and she decides to kill her boss and help Travis escape instead. She tells Travis to hurry because they didn’t have much time – the same exact words that Travis uses at the end of the episode in 2013 when he is talking to Sonya on the phone after Garza rescues him from the prisoner transfer.

I’ve watched this episode several times. Did you notice that Lucas is prepping for the remote control prisoner escape from the very beginning with his yellow wifi boxes? So Lucas and Sonya were tight on the plan all along and their attempt to “rescue” Travis was obviously intended to kill him.

Also, the existence of a mole in the Vancouver Police Department was revealed with the e-mail to Lucas at the beginning of the episode. The e-mail with the surveillance footage from the hospital that showed Sonya shooting Travis. I’m wildly speculating on who it is. It could be Gardiner, Dillon, Betty or Carlos. Right now my bets are on Carlos. I honestly think Gardiner is the good boy in all this but we’ll see. His conversation with his boss Lois was reasonable and understandable. Carlos, on the other hand has been handed too many pieces of evidence about Kiera not to question her full background and yet he does nothing.

I love the constant debate about the future. Alec and Kiera constantly wondering why future Alec sent all of them back. Liber8 thinking the future has already been changed because they killed Matthew’s grandmother in a previous episode. Matthew taking advantage of his trip to the past to live life - and piecing the puzzle together himself. Future Alec’s message to young Alec sure has everyone thinking, though.

The dialog with Alec at the computer store is steller. From Matthew’s recruitment speech to Alec’s boss telling him that he just can’t go messing with the system just because he has a better way of doing things to the customer attempting to buy a computer and asking Alec to get down on his knees and clean up his kids’ mess. There is soo much connection in these episodes. they are so tight with story and dialog. This series is incredible.

A small gripe here. A few months ago in Continuum story time and Kiera couldn’t even drive a Prius around without playing bumper cars and now she is driving like a professional Secret Service driver bouncing the chase SUV off the road and beating a train at extreme speeds. But she is very capable and has tech to assist her. Still, I’d need a little bit more backstory there.

Dillon ends up taking personal responsibility for the loss of Travis. I sense that will come back to haunt him later.

I can’t wait to watch the next episode!