Continuum Episode 1.10 EndTimes

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

The morning after sleeping with Kellog, Kiera steals back his piece of the time travel device. Kiera meets Jason, who convinces her he was in the 2077 control room when the time travel device went off, sending him back to 1992. Jason informs Kiera that privateers, other parties from the future, are at work in the present. As a student of history he has been waiting for this particular day - when a bomb in an office building will kill many people and start the evolution into the world of the future. Kagame temporarily captures young Alec, telling him that future Alec had guided his actions. When CSIS Agent Gardiner and his team join with Vancouver police to deal with the bomb threat, they evacuate the office building they think will be targeted by Liber8. Kagame enters the building across the plaza and activates a suicide bomb, destroying the tower. CSIS Agent Gardiner sees Kiera and Alec protected from the blast by a forcefield, then makes eye contact as she activates her invisibility system. Kagame left instructions for Sonya to deliver cash to his mother (bomb day is also Kagame’s day of birth), succeed him as leader of Liber8, and eliminate Travis. A flash forward reveals that the bombing is part of a plan that was hatched by the Alec of 2077, who specifically masterminded both Liber8’s and Kiera’s transport to the past. Kiera is despondent when she learns that Jason can not return them to the future. Alec calls to say he has finally decrypted the message from his future self.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ tenth episode and first season finale EndTimes. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

What an “explosive” finale!

The episode shows two Vancouver building explode. One building in 2076, which is the same building that is destroyed in the series’ opening scene, and another building destroyed in 2012 despite Kiera’s attempts to stop it.

The events of the episode seemingly take place the day after the Sadler farm incident. But Carlos is declared fit for duty? WTF? Either Carlos was faking being hurt so badly to get information out of Kiera or he has some amazing healing qualities.

We learn that there are other indeed time travelers. Jason, who claims to be a execution machine operator, was sent back in time to 1992. He’s spent 20 years in the looney bin and living off the streets. He also claims to have a time travel device but needs special material that wasn’t available until 2034. Kiera happens to have it. But at the end of the episode the Time Travel machine is revealed to be something out of Doctor Who (aka made out of junk) and will never function properly. I’m pretty sure Jason is not entirely truthful. I’m also sure that Jason is a lot more capable than he seemed. But the idea of “freelancers” or “privateer” time travelers is intriguing. Jason made it sound like there was more than one of them running around. I’m guessing we’ll see more of them in the series soon. Especially the mysterious “Mr. Escher.”

I love the Pebble - tsunami line that’s thrown around several times between Kagame and Sadler. Who exactly is the pebble and who is the tsunami? It’s hard to tell right now between those two. But young Alec is convinced that technology WILL make the world a better place and Kagame tells Alec that old Alec is the one who said the future could be changed. We’ll see. With Kagame now dead it’s hard to say. But Kagame did keep saying that he will see others again. Did that mean a younger Kagame will see others again pre 2077 or does that mean Kagame will meet everyone again as he grows up?

Julian’s gone from shooting at a cop to attempting to sestroy a skycrapper. Ballsy kid. I’m sure we’ll see his evilness progress in the episodes to come.

So is Sonya just making a power play against Travis or did Kagame really tell her to take charge?

Matthew claims not to know what a freelancer is nor did he help out Kiera. I have my doubts about those statements as well. But I do believe him that he didn;t have anything to do with either bombing. Still, there’s something fishy about that guy.

We will Kagame meeting with both future Alec Sadler and future Julian. I’m sure that there is much going on behind the scenes that we will see as the episodes progress.

Future Alec’s “Read Me First” file must be a goldmine of news. I’d love to read the entire text of that baby. Espcailly since is details that future Alec sent Kiera back in time and that the time travel device did NOT malfunction.

On to season 2 now! Hopefully some of the season one ending questions will be answered!

~Shooter Out