Continuum Episode 1.02 Fast Times

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Kiera tries to find the members of Liber8 before they do more damage. The Liber8 freedom fighters are trying to return back to their own time. Kiera knows this, and has every intention of using this opportunity to travel along with them so she can reunite with her family. Their first attempt fails but when Liber8 kidnap a university physicist, Kiera knows exactly where to find them. Meanwhile, Kiera’s pretense of being a Portland police officer doesn’t last very long - her cover is blown, and she soon finds herself under arrest by her partner on the VPD; Carlos. When Kiera discovers Liber8’s plan to make a second attempt, she manages to get free and has to escape, and then approach her sworn enemies alone. Ultimately the attempt fails, and a despondent Kiera is forced to accept she may be stuck in 2012, although, with Alec’s help, she creates a profile for herself that convinces the police that she is a government agent so deep undercover that they can’t possibly figure out who she really works for. One member of the terrorist group; Matthew Kellog, has decided to stay and not return to his own time.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ second episode. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

This episode is bookended by Kiera’s first day on the job in the future at the start and her first day on the job in 2012 at the end. I liked the use of “flashbacks” to the future where we see scenes from Keira’s “past” in the 2060’s and 2070’s. It was done well in this episode to depict how much Kiera really wanted to get home and how much she misses her son and husband. Although I suspect she will miss her husband less and less as she learns more and more about what really happened in 2077.

As a reminder to viewers about her future tech we see Kiera being issued her CMR chip, gun and multi-tool in the 2070’s. We get a little further exposition on what the items actually are and how the CMR chip works. More importantly, at the same time she is being issued her Protector tech her boss in 2077 tells her that “You’re going to want to trust your gut out there, Cameron. Don’t. Instincts are good, but what is going to make you a great Protector is the tech.” Of course what we are witnessing now with Kiera in 2012 is the exact opposite. Tech is a great tool, but it is no substitute for good ability, and Kiera has great ability.

In a notable plot move one of the Liber8 members, Mike Kellogg, decides to stay in 2012 willingly as the rest of the group prepares to find an alternate way back to 2071 – their original time destination. Kellogg cites the fact that the Corporate Right Acts won’t be passed into law for 50 years and that their freedom is still very much alive in 2012. Kellogg intends on getting rich and working the system against the corporations from 2012 instead of trying to return to 2071. His plan seems reasonable to me – as long as he doesn’t resort to violence. But until I learn more about what Liber8 is actually attempting to accomplish the more I may tend to agree or disagree with Kellogg and what he is trying to do. Either way it is clear Kellogg intends on helping or interfacing with his relatives in 2012.

The Liber8 soldier members are scary. They are well trained and have some physically enhanced capabilities. Heck, we saw Travis take a Taser shot directly to his chest without phasing him. Are they bio/genetically engineered? Are they equipped with bio enhancements? Are they even people? At this point we just don’t know.

I’m glad the show attempted to address Kiera pulling the wool over Vancouver Police’s eyes. The new Linda Williams cover will hold them for a while but even this Section Six cover is going to have some holes. Plus Betty is still on Alec’s digital trail too. We’ll see what this pans out in the future I’m sure.

Didn’t you love Alec’s comment to Kiera as she was learning to drive? “This is not a simulation.” Awesome.

I’m glad Dr. Simon Frazier stood up for Kiera. Especially after what he went though. You could tell it meant a lot to Kiera too.

I don’t think anybody from 2077 was as disappointed that the time bridge could not have been activated as Keira was. Fast Times was an extremely emotional day for her for sure.