Continuum Episode 1.01 A Stitch In Time

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

In the year 2077, eight dangerous rebels from the group Liber8, facing execution for an act of terrorism that killed thousands of innocents, manage to avoid execution by escaping into a time jump, transporting themselves from 2077 to 2012. In doing so, however, they also transport Protector Kiera Cameron, a law enforcement officer who tries to intervene and is sucked into the jump too. Soon after her arrival, she gets into contact with, and befriends, young Alec Sadler, the 17-year old who will one day grow up to create the technology that her world is built upon, and who will control future society. One of the terrorists, Lucas Ingram, is arrested soon after their arrival, but the remainder arm themselves and hope to blend into society while carrying out their agenda: to start a war. They begin stealing arms and robbing banks and Kiera, who has lost everything she has, finds herself on a new mission: to hunt down the insurgents. She takes on a new identity and manages to infiltrate and join the Vancouver Police Department, posing as a Portland police officer, and works with local Vancouver officer Carlos Fonnegra to track down the terrorists and stop their reign of violence - beginning with an attack on the local police station that frees Ingram.

Please use this thread to discuss the series’ first episode. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.

2077 may seem like a utopia, but with corporations running the world freedoms are only a perception and not reality. There are broader conspiracies abound in 2077. CPS Protector Kiera Cameron was placed in the Liber8 execution room on purpose. We assume by the 2077 version of Alec Sadler. We also assume her husband Greg knew what was about to happen since he fought vehemently at the last moment to get Kiera out of the execution room. There was at least one additional female Protector that was caught up in the time travel vortex blast. Was she vaporized? Did she time travel to another time separate from the main group that was transported?

We’re shown that Kiera is quite capable in both 2077 and 2012. The minor apprehension she performs in the train and her ability to operate with malfunctioning technology make her someone I would not want to cross. She has been given assistance with Alec and training, but she uses it efficiently and effectively.

Kiera’s tech, though malfunctioning, is intriguing. Her transforming/folding gun with air-display, her chameleon powered suit, her drug dispenser, her communications device, her Cellular Memory Review (CMR) chip: All “Liquid Chip” based tools of a futuristic cop.I’m excited to see how these are applied throughout the series and how their existence in 2012 might effect the future.

Kiera’s decision to stay on point with her 2077 job and apprehend or kill the now time-travel escaped members of Liber8 is admirable. I’m sure a bunch of us if we found ourselves flung 65 years in the past would potentially make other life style decisions. With anyone’s knowledge of the future it would be fairly easy to earn an excessive amount of money and do whatever it is that we wanted to do. Kiera is not that person.

Liber8 seems more than just a terrorist organization. Liber8’s goals are spelled out in the series opening scene by their leader Edouard Kagame (aka Stargate’s Bra’tac). Is it Liber8 because there are 8 of them that are being executed? Does the 8 mean something else? Even though their methods are criminal and destructive and excessively lethal, is their cause something that is legitimate?

The exposition by Alec of the two schools of quantum time travel set the time-travel rules for the continuum universe.
1- Kiera has already changed the future by going back in time. The damage is done. She can’t stop what’s already been started.
2- This journey is part of her own timeline from the future. That is to say that all these events have actually happened before and she’s simply going through the motions again

It is not told to us which theory is true, but Alec is given a glimpse of the future in various ways. The fact that Kiera’s technology is interfacing with his experimental proprietary prototypes gives Alec vindication that it works. When Alec sees his hand-drawn draft corporate logo from his notebook during Kiera’s CMR he sees that he will become a successfully corporate man. And finally, the fact that he is known to Keira tells Alec that he is very much still a player in 2077.

Kiera’s acceptance by both Detective Carlos Fonnegra and Inspector Dillon without verification of credentials is almost jumping the shark. Kiera seemingly acts like she knows this, especially since her lies about her name and where she is from. She is willing to play out the game until she is finally caught.

The one-way Time Travel aspect of the series leads to all sorts of possibilities with the series. Interference with past-future events. Going after past relatives/family members as a weapon against persons from 2077. Knowledge of actual major events. The show has a lot of possibility. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds. Especally with the show’s final scene where Kiera, Greg and their son meet Alec Sadler in the 2070’s timeframe.

I’m just now watching this, and I’m not sure who to really root for. Kiera is supposed tot he the good guy and Liber8 are “terrorists”, but my distrust of our growing corporate power structure makes me see much more grey. I guess after more than just the first half of the first episode,I might have a better feel for things.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Keep your eye on young Alec Sadler too. There’s more to watch as well but I don’t want to spoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, further into the episode it became clear that Liber8 is full of bad people. Whatever their agenda, their methods aren’t something I can get behind. Too bad.

Keep this comment in mind as you continue to watch the series. For spoiler reasons I will only state that this is a comment that you will want to revisit later for various reasons in future episode threads.