Composers: John Carpenter vs. Brad Feidel

Since we did the big composers, how about we vote on two guys who are more niche, less prolific, maybe not as great, but awesome in their own way?

In the black corner: John Carpenter, the writer-director who wrote his own music for Halloween, Escape From New York, and others.

//youtu.be/fp9BSmxgUxs

//youtu.be/f1JYDmo19to

And in the blue corner: Brad Fiedel, composer of the unforgettable, mutable Terminator theme. Credits also include Fright Night & True Lies.

//youtu.be/dpwWYOE3Y9o

//youtu.be/VkPikx58Gow

//youtu.be/3Xjir3YSUA8

I’ll go with Fiedel on this one. 1) Because I own the CD to Terminator 2: Judgement Day and 2) Because the haunting apocalyptic melody of Terminator is a frightening reminder to me of what could happen in a futuristic Earth where humans end up destroying themselves through cataclysmic nuclear war, devestating climate change through our own industrialization, developing machines that take over in the next step of evolution, or create super deadly biological agents that end up transforming society as we know it today into a simple but distant ghost memory. But more importantly what we can do with perhaps great suffering to alter our fates and protect humanities future or to just succumb to our eventual fates no matter what we accomplish in the present.

And for the record I did listen to all four youtube clips before voting.

Uh… Snake Plisken is badass… Uh… Can I just quote what Shooter said? I think that’s a brilliant summary of the power of movie/TV themes: When done right, they convey all the drama of the program/plot, and just the whole feeling of the world they’re set in.

Do you think he could take on Riddick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a great question. Definitely give Riddick a run for his money. Though Riddick is written as more of a superhuman, I like to think SNake would win. But let’s let the forum decide…