Competing against your Brain

I admit, this is not a fully formed thought, but I want to put it out there as I know and love this community.

I have found there is something very strange about the brain. Maybe it is just my brain, but I suspect not. Here is my observation:

• Early on in working out I would think, “I ran a mile yesterday, I will try to run a mile again today” I would get on the treadmill and run. Halfway through I would start to get tired and it would be a push to make it to a mile

• The very next day I could think, “I will run two miles” and run one mile without even flinching. Approaching 2 miles I would start to feel weary and it would be a push. THE NEXT DAY.

• I have been doing 6 miles on the Elliptical for two weeks consistently. Today for time reasons I knew I could only do 3. I was amazed and surprised to find that I found myself struggling at the 2 mile mark…

I conclude that I am working against my brain. When I set a goal my body adjusts to meet it. When I know today I will work out on the elliptical for 6 miles during the second 3 mile set about the halfway point I start feeling in. If I am only doing a 3 miles set at 1.5 I start feeling it.

I bring this up because I found the opposite true. If I had been running 3 miles consistently if I decided, “I am going to run 4 miles” I would blow by that 3 mile mark. It is like the only thing holding us back is our own expectations.

Thoughts?

I find that I tend to approach things very scientifically, so iput this experiment to you. Cover the display and make it impossible to know how far you’ve gone. Also don’t keep track of time and try and distract yourself from how long/far you’ve gone. Set a goal for yourself and then check yourself when you feel tired. See if it’s actually your body setting the pace or your subconscious. This is an interesting thought though. I’m interested to see what you come up with. Keep us posted on your discoveries?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk